Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:54 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Discussion
Help me think about getting into SPEED!

Hey
I normally fly parkflyer type planes and helis. Nothing too fancy or fast. I have all the lipos, and BL's etc, and I'm looking into getting a smaller (30") fast plane to fly at the local park. I want it to be fast when I want, and also able to slow down a bit for landing etc. I'd love to buid a composite airframe by carving a foam plug and making a mold. The fact that I built it would be nice. Any plane/gear recomendations for me? I'm on a slight budget, but am not against spending money. I hope to get a job soon (I'm 16). I'm an experienced pilot, and hope I'm up for the chalenge.
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:52 PM
Where's your CofG?
San Diego
Joined Apr 2004
777 Posts
Well, if you're really looking to make your own I can't help you. If you're looking for something to get your toes wet for flying high performance I've suggestions. I would take a look at getting one of the foam wings. Relatively cheap, very durable, and typically very managable wing loading. Two to look at would be a Multiplex Micro Jet or Combat Wings Mini XE. You plobably won't crack 100mph with either but if you've never flown anything fast, even 60-70mph takes some getting used to. I started off with a Projeti (similar to Microjet) using a Mega 16/15/3 and lipos. That plane did about 90-95mph in a shallow dive. From there I moved up to a VIP with the same motor. My 2 cents.

Gibby
Gibby is offline Find More Posts by Gibby
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:54 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
Ace Simple 400. It's not a composite airframe but a great step up from flying parkfliers. It's a good way to inexpensively learn to slow a faster plane down and line it up for landing in a small area.

I've seen them go for as little as $29 on sale. If you toast it, no biggy. Just get another one.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:18 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
The ACE Simple 400 is a good suggestion and sometimes balsa is more durable and repairable than the moldies.
Not saying it's a bad idea but just for perspective just how big is your parK? Even a mild S400 racer would seem insanely fast in your average park setting; ie a few baseball diamonds or soccer fields. If you have trees surrounding you'll also have to deal with tough landings. These take a while to bleed off speed, even the light ones. If you keep it light enough you can make your life a lot easier.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member