Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:08 PM
GraysonHobby.com
Grayson, GA
Joined Jan 2003
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
Sorry basil for that comment.

Can anyone give me a very breif explanation on how the winding of the coil effects rpm and torge.

Hey, I didnt take any offense to the comment, was I suppose to I have no idea how these motors work, to learn the windings, turns, etc, is a whole other hobby and I dont have any more spare time..

For any more specs, goto Balsapr.com and look under brushless motors for all the specs..
Basil is offline Find More Posts by Basil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:42 PM
Mat
The ground jumped at it!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
As the plane starts going faster will the ampdraw decrease a little bit compared to the static amp draw?
Mat is offline Find More Posts by Mat
Old Jan 18, 2005, 02:59 PM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,875 Posts
Mat,
Usually the in-flight amp draw is lower, though the Motocalc simulator shows it increasing slightly in flight with very high pitch props, i.e. 7x6 or 7x7. Amp draw will certainly be lower in flight if you use something less then full throttle.
BrianRickman is online now Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:37 PM
GraysonHobby.com
Grayson, GA
Joined Jan 2003
718 Posts
Do the motors come pre-mounted to the GearBox?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:33 PM
Rochester,MN
Joined Feb 2001
749 Posts
If the prop is stalled in static testing, the current may go up when the plane picks up speed. If the prop is not stalled the current will go down as the prop unloads.

The motors come mounted to the gearbox, although it's not really a gearbox, it's just a gearbox frame used as a mount.
RonD is offline Find More Posts by RonD
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:38 PM
GraysonHobby.com
Grayson, GA
Joined Jan 2003
718 Posts
Rought Row, THE SAGA Continues...

Went to the (NOT SO) NSLHS to exchange out my combo. No problems there...However, my new setup didnt come mounted to the gearbox although it did come with the tiny scews and nuts. (no biggie) BUT----The gearbox didnt come with any holes so I switched to a GWS box and the holes in the silver mount do not come close to aligning. I am only able to align the bottom hole.

I wish I took a picture of the 1st setup, b/c the motors are very different...The 1st's shaft was much much longer, the silver upside down bowl was larger, and there was no black nut after the silver bowl....Other than that it works but I havent given WOT yet and have no way to stick mount it.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 07:07 AM
WWW.AWLHOBBIES.COM
Elmira Regional, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2004
493 Posts
Mine did not come mounted either. If you look at the holes in the aluminum mount they are an offset triangle. The top hole goes in the hole where the stick goes. This puts the shft right over where the shaft would normally exit. Then just notch or drill little holes in the plastic mount where the holes line up. Install and you are all set. A little bit of a pain, but not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil
Rought Row, THE SAGA Continues...

Went to the (NOT SO) NSLHS to exchange out my combo. No problems there...However, my new setup didnt come mounted to the gearbox although it did come with the tiny scews and nuts. (no biggie) BUT----The gearbox didnt come with any holes so I switched to a GWS box and the holes in the silver mount do not come close to aligning. I am only able to align the bottom hole.

I wish I took a picture of the 1st setup, b/c the motors are very different...The 1st's shaft was much much longer, the silver upside down bowl was larger, and there was no black nut after the silver bowl....Other than that it works but I havent given WOT yet and have no way to stick mount it.
94ZA4 is offline Find More Posts by 94ZA4
Old Jan 19, 2005, 07:14 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Being an old 1/2A flyer ,I kinda ' appreciate the firewall mount ...very compact and easy to use... don't get me wrong , I like the stick mount ,but in this case it is a bit unusual .... firewall is simply a plywood circle glued to the stick ...hahahahaha Works!!!!! try it , you'll like it .....
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 19, 2005, 07:41 AM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Ill second that. After getting mine, I immediately put it onto a firewall mount. Some 2-56 bolts and blind nuts and I was all set. Works great.

TB
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Old Jan 19, 2005, 07:45 AM
GraysonHobby.com
Grayson, GA
Joined Jan 2003
718 Posts
OK, it was no big deal, however, Im just trying to compare what my LHS has compared to what everyone else has.. I mounted it just as 94ZA4,

1st setup came pre-mount with all the nuts/bolts already installed... Without having more than 1 to compare im in the dark here...
Old Jan 19, 2005, 07:49 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Ecaf , you bet !!! All we need now is a simple firewall/assembly as universal as the stick system... ply circle and triangle would do it ...mount perfect on a profile anyway , that's always the hangUP...
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:54 AM
GraysonHobby.com
Grayson, GA
Joined Jan 2003
718 Posts
How much longer can I extend the leads from the motor/esc? Is there a preferred side to lengthen? I need only about 2-3 inches.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:06 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Gpw how about the 3/8" mounting square with just a flat plate on the end. They make an aluminum version of the GWS box so someday maybe one similar for what we need??

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Jan 20, 2005, 06:42 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Tow ... that would probably work fine .... this motor has the same radial mount as all the other cool outrunners and those charge extra for the mounts too....
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:55 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
One nice thing about firewall mounting - its easy to shim for right-thrust or down-thrust by slipping a washer or two onto the appropriate bolt between the motor and firewall. It's a lot harder to change the thrust angle with a stick-mount, once it's been glued into the fusleage.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Closed Thread