HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:53 PM
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
151 Posts
Discussion
Blade Nano QX range sucks

I love the Nano, but the range when outdoors is terrible. I can't even get it all the way across my yard before it seems to lose signal. Range is probably <30ft. I have the RTF version and a customer service tech said that's pretty normal, since it's a low power transmitter. Anyone else experience this? I've had people say they can fly theirs 300ft away.
E_T is online now Find More Posts by E_T
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:58 PM
90% Attitude!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2014
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_T View Post
I love the Nano, but the range when outdoors is terrible. I can't even get it all the way across my yard before it seems to lose signal. Range is probably <30ft. I have the RTF version and a customer service tech said that's pretty normal, since it's a low power transmitter. Anyone else experience this? I've had people say they can fly theirs 300ft away.
Definitely have flown mine much further than 30ft but I am using BNF with a Spektrum radio.
Aken is offline Find More Posts by Aken
Old Sep 08, 2014, 01:00 PM
Joined Jul 2014
495 Posts
Something else must be wrong... even the cheapest 2.4ghz rc vehicles these days will go much farther than 30ft.

My kids have had their airhogs a good 60ft in the air at least.
Conradm is online now Find More Posts by Conradm
Old Sep 08, 2014, 01:12 PM
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
151 Posts
It does seem a little strange. I have a Syma quadcopter which is 2.4 GHz and that one goes much farther. I bought a DX5e tx the other day, but it was DOA, so it's off for repairs. I hope that will make a difference.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:56 PM
Antisocial Curmudgeon
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2013
998 Posts
Check the length of the antenna, should be 31mm long including bit that's soldered in the board. Could also be an issue with your stock Tx, but you're taking steps to fix that. I didn't get much more then 30' myself, got a Devo 7E and modified it...much happier now.
Fyathyrio is offline Find More Posts by Fyathyrio
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My "bright" idea! :)
Old Sep 08, 2014, 07:44 PM
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
Check the length of the antenna, should be 31mm long including bit that's soldered in the board. Could also be an issue with your stock Tx, but you're taking steps to fix that. I didn't get much more then 30' myself, got a Devo 7E and modified it...much happier now.
Thanks. I looked inside the Tx and the antenna wire seemed pretty normal in length. Once I get the DX5 back, I'm hoping it gives me a nice range boost. I'm getting the hang of flying outside in a little wind, but I can let it stray far at all.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 10:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,653 Posts
DX5e is full range TX. Gameboy toy TX is far from good. Using cheap dollar store batteries or possible old batteries in TX. They don't last forever and first thing range goes way down. Try some duarcell batteries for TX.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:26 PM
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
151 Posts
***update***

I got a new DX5e today. After I sent my old (new) one in for repairs, they just sent a replacement. Anyway, I tested it with the Nano and the range problem is solved. The thing flies 100 times better now, and I would probably lose sight of it before the signal dropped.

The Dx sticks seem much less sensitive than the stock tx, but I think it's just because the range of motion is greater. It will take a little getting used to, but I feel like I can fly much more precisely with the Dx. I love this quad now!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:35 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,653 Posts
I use DX5e for my four ch Blade helis and MQX. Also for Mig-15/ Archer etc.
TX works very well and like sticks. Smooth and easy to use. My c/p's DX6i is great.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 26, 2014, 06:44 AM
E_T
Joined Aug 2014
151 Posts
Cool. I am really liking the DX5 so far. I kind of wish the unit was a little smaller, but other than that, no complaints. I feel like I have much more control over the quad.