SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:06 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
4,842 Posts
Mini-Review
Eachine/Sen Ma CG022

INTRODUCTION

The Sen Ma CG022, aka Eachine CG022 have been recently announced to be the first micro-sized copter including the "Headless" function.
This new feature is in theory helping beginners during their learning process as well as for confirmed pilots for long-range flying. Initially reserved for larger size models, the headless function will probably be included from now into any new quadcopters models.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Eachine CG022 (with a 9.3g 1S 300mAh LiPo rated 25C )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 6xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB Charger (using micro-LOSI connector)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 4 x Prop guard
+ 1 x Prop wrench
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English googlish !!!/chinese)

OVERVIEW

The CG022 is clearly copying the JJRC 1000 shape, representing a shrinked version of the DJI Phantom and occupying a 73mmx73 square

The dIstance motor to motor is 68mm

For a size comparaison, here are the Yi Zhan X4, the CG022 and the Cheerson CX-30 respectively

The CG022 have 6 different bright LEDS. Two blue for front, two green for rear and two red "eyes" for control

The CG022 have clearly great night capacity

Without battery, the CG022 is quiet light (25.6g), for example it's more than 7g lighter than the Yi Zhan X4

The shipped LiPo is 300mAh model, rated 25C and ending with a micro-LOSI connector, a standard for micro-quadcopter.

The bottom part of the quad is transparent to increase ligth effect and night flying capacity

You can insert easily a 380mAh model to extend flying duration

Whithout prop guards, the CG022 is totalling 34.9g with the provided LiPo

Prop guard are light

You will need to remove Props via the provided wrench to install them one by one. The prop guard IMHO could be more efficient if a central part would be present. Here, if a crash occur in this central part, I am not sure that the prop will be saved.

Each prop is scaling 0.25g

The pich angle is increased compared to some other model impacting on Power lift capacitity and acceleration

Motor pods are perfectly jailing motors and feet are ending with rubber part to amortize landing

Motors are 7mmx20mm so offering a lot of power for this tiny weight

The transparent lower body part is scaling 4g

and when you remove it, you can acess to the FC board

The FC is designed by the LF compagny, the same who designed for example the JXD 395 board.
On the upper layer, you can find the magnetometer chip (top-left) for the headless function as well as some debug pins.

The bottom layer of the FC is hidding the 3 main chips: the mini54zan as MCU, the Invensense 6050c as "6-axis" chip and a unmarked 16 pins RF chip, a LT8910.

The chip is GFSK modulator/demodulator working up to 1Mbit/s. The datarate of the CG022 is probably more 250kbit/s or 500kbit/s as for the A7105 (Flysky, Hubsan protocols).
According the the datasheet, at such datarate, the RX sensibility is 7dBm worser than the A7105 for example. It means that in theory, the range of the CG022 is twice shorter than we could have if the A7105 was used instead.

The transmitter have a gamepad design but with larger dimensions than those you can find with nanoquadcopter

6xAAA are required

No LCD screen, so all triming ajustements will be done be sound, a long beep indicating the central position. On the left lower part, you will find the 20% (default) and 60% mode. The left shoulder button is engaging the 100% mode but with autoflip. In practice, the difference in pitch and roll rates between 60% and 100% are minors and the 60% is already offering amazing sportive flight caracteristics while the 100% rate is hard to fly with due to this autoflip. If you press more than 3s the left shoulder button, you can turn on/off the lights.
The right shoulder button is dedicaced to manual flip. Once pressed, you will need to indicate the direction to flip with the right stick. Finally, when you press longly the right shoulder button, you are turning on/off the headless function. When activated, the TX starts to emit a annoying sequence of beep to warn that headless function is on. There are at least two options for the headless mode to fix the reference orientation: a) either when you power on the quadcopter or b) each time you are engaging the headless mode.
This second option have been chosen for the CG022. In my opinion, it's more adapted for beginners but it's a disavantage for long-range flying. In this second case, you want to activate headless, when you lost orientation (quad too far) but if reference is taken when you are engaging ... finally it won't help you to bring back the quadcopter into the pilot'direction.

I am not completly sure, but the gyroscope calibration procedure is activated by pushing the left stick in lower right position more than 3s (no mention in the instruction manual)

The interior part of the TX

I sniffed SPI data for experts in case of one day it will be possible to deviated it ...

Unfortunatly, the CG022 TX is not binding the H1 model (even if the H1 is using also the LT8910) or any models I own.

A last word about the instruction manual.... What a joke !!!!!!!! This is the worst instruction manual I never seen. To make short, it's a direct translation from chinese into english by google translation.... You can imagine the pity result.

FIRST USAGE

The first time you are powering the CG022 you are positively impressed by the nice LEDs color coming from the quadcopter. Lights are so bright. No arming procedure, so when you push gently the throttle, the CG022 is jumping in the air. You can feel a lot of powerlift. At 20% the yaw rate is already good as well as the pitch angle. At 60%, the yaw rate is even faster and pich and roll angles start to become insame ..
Keep calm, there is a bad point. I don't know if the RF channel have a problem, or end-points of the transmitter are not well calibrated, but from 60%, the quadcopter seems to have almost a binary response when you push the right stick. It means that, the quadcopter is taking directly high pitch/roll rates. You have to stay very close to the central part of the stick to have more modulation.
So except to stay 20%, the CG022 is not so well adapted for beginners. You will need some time to adapt your way to fly with this duo quadcopter/transmitter. The flying duration is very good, over 6mim with the 300mAh and 7mim with a 380mAh.
I found that control range was good, no problem within the first 50m (as you are noticing in photos, I installed antennas vertically. It's increasing horizonal range). Flips are just amazing fast... and the fast forward is great ... . I am more in doubt about the headless function. I would like to use it when I lost the orientation when the quadcopter is far away from me but ... since the orientation is fixed when you engage it ... it's in practice unusable for confirmed pilot.

CONCLUSIONS

Light, sportive, long flying duration, bright LEDs, nice desgin, the CG022 have a lot qualities. It's clearly an outdoors micro-sized flyer for non-beginners pilots. For 26USD it's a good value, a good choice. But it's not the perfect quadcopter. Endpoints of the transmitter are not very well tuned and headless function IMHO useless for long-range flying (a paradox !!!)

UNBOXING

Eachine/Sen Ma CG022 Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Banggood) (15 min 13 sec)

PROS

+ Very fast and sportive from the 60% mode
+ Very bright LEDs
+ Night flyng capacity
+ Good flying duration
+ Light and nice design
+ Good range control
+ Props with high pitch (can be used for other models)
+ Silent

CONS

- Horrible instruction manual
- Transmitter end points (close to "binary" right stick commands in sport mode)
- New protocol using a new RF chip
- Headless feature adapted for close-range flying, not for long-range flying

Eachine/Sen Ma CG022 outdoors test (Courtesy of Banggood) (7 min 42 sec)

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 26 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-CG02...105842201212FR
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Oct 06, 2014 at 06:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:07 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,842 Posts
Reserved for mods, photos and videos
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:24 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
875 Posts
Good review,
about the" Headless feature adapted for close-range flying, not for long-range flying"

I will talk with factory
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
Good review,
about the" Headless feature adapted for close-range flying, not for long-range flying"

I will talk with factory
Hi Jacky,

It's what I found ... coz headless function is fixing orientation each time you are engaging it. So when you are far, you can't determine the starting orientation. I retried many times to be sure .... I read the Helipad review saying you have just to point the transmitter toward the quad, orient your body in direction of the quad and engage the headless mode but if I am pressing the back direction, the quad is not returning toward me (except if the initial orientation was ok when engaging).
It's very hard to illustrate by a video
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2008
6 Posts
Hi guys. This is my first post at RcGroups after a lot of year registered, and some years flying helicopters (between 100 and 600 size).
Now, after a big hold, I return to this hobby with this little things.
First, sorry for my bad English. I am Spanish and don't speak good English.

@ Seby, fantastic review! as other times, I follow your reviews every time, but I have 2 questions to you.
At your review, you wrote about a tiny chip, top-left at one side of the FC board, and you wrote this is the magnetometer. I think you are wrong, this tiny component appears to be the quartz Crystal for the RX circuit.
@ Seby, do you know the function of the front big led into the quad? This led don't lit, according the photos I found.
Maybe this is an infrared led for any function?

Regards from Spain.
Durete is online now Find More Posts by Durete
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durete View Post
Hi guys. This is my first post at RcGroups after a lot of year registered, and some years flying helicopters (between 100 and 600 size).
Now, after a big hold, I return to this hobby with this little things.
First, sorry for my bad English. I am Spanish and don't speak good English.

@ Seby, fantastic review! as other times, I follow your reviews every time, but I have 2 questions to you.
At your review, you wrote about a tiny chip, top-left at one side of the FC board, and you wrote this is the magnetometer. I think you are wrong, this tiny component appears to be the quartz Crystal for the RX circuit.
@ Seby, do you know the function of the front big led into the quad? This led don't lit, according the photos I found.
Maybe this is an infrared led for any function?

Regards from Spain.
Hi Durete

1) You are 100% right It's Clock's quartz for the LT8910 my god, how I could be confused . I will correct this big error . I have been mistaken coz some magnetometer have this shape. Well you know what is surprizing ? I can't see the magnotemeter !!!! So how is performed Headless ? !!!!!
Well in fact , I understood and it's logical according to the Headless behaviour I described. The orientation reference is taken when headless mode is engaged so in fact you need to store just the local azimuth and elevation and add an offset to current controls with these 2 values !!! Now it's more clear

2) Well, this font leds is flashing well I am engaging the procedure I believe to be the gyroscope calibration
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:38 AM
Expert Quad Crasher
Nepal, Central Region, Kathmandu
Joined May 2014
54 Posts
is this v2x2 Tx compatible ?
ashsys is online now Find More Posts by ashsys
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashsys View Post
is this v2x2 Tx compatible ?

no ....
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
I confirm, you can calibrate the gyro the same way as you do it with the Hubsan X4.
Left stick to bottom-right position and move right stick between left and right couple of times.

Mine was off after a crash and I thought I had broken it but then decided to give
the calibration a shot la Hubsan since the Eachine manual doesn't offer
any instructions on how to do any kind of calibrations.
Rautis is offline Find More Posts by Rautis
Old Sep 03, 2014, 10:14 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
875 Posts
Four colors of eachine cgo22 is available in BG now.
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2014, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
How does the CG022 indicate a low battery?

Also, the supplied battery charger does not have an LED. How doe you know when the charge is completed?
George DaPonte is offline Find More Posts by George DaPonte
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George DaPonte View Post
How does the CG022 indicate a low battery?

Also, the supplied battery charger does not have an LED. How doe you know when the charge is completed?
1) The quadcopter should have flashing LEDs when LVC (Lower Voltage Cut) is reached (around 3.6-3.7V)

2) The charger should turn on the red light when is charged
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:46 AM
Poland, Masovian Voivodeship, Warsaw
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Could someone write here standard battery compartment dimmensions?
What longer life battery do you suggest?
In BG they have some cheap 400mAh batteries which are only 1g heavier but I'm affraid of thickness?
For example: http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-Heli...y-p-69307.html
for 3.59, Size: 8 x 20 x 36mm
cbm80 is offline Find More Posts by cbm80
Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:52 AM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Jul 2013
953 Posts
Great review, SeByDocKy! I'm thinking of ordering 4 or 5 of these for the school. How does it fare indoors at 20%, compared to, say, a Nano QX? Too twitchy for accurate navigation or not?

About the 'sport' mode issue at 60% - is that still the case, or has it been fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
The flying duration is very good, over 6mm with the 300mAh and 7mm with a 380mAh.
There's a slight typo there you may want to fix.

What's the resting voltage after those flight times, and do the 25C batteries get warm?
LMahesa is offline Find More Posts by LMahesa
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:02 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMahesa View Post
Great review, SeByDocKy! I'm thinking of ordering 4 or 5 of these for the school. How does it fare indoors at 20%, compared to, say, a Nano QX? Too twitchy for accurate navigation or not?

About the 'sport' mode issue at 60% - is that still the case, or has it been fixed?

There's a slight typo there you may want to fix.

What's the resting voltage after those flight times, and do the 25C batteries get warm?
Thanks for releaving my favorite mistake between mm and min (coz in French, we can also sometimes shortcut min with mm)

So ... yes this quad is very touchy ..... very sportive even in 20%. In 60%, you have a better roll & pich rates. How don't know if it have been fixed in last batch