HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
If the charger balances single packs correctly and you have verified that each port you are using works independently, then its not likely an issue with the charger or the board. This is simply a limitation of parallel charging. Using fused boards and higher charge rates can exacerbate this issue. Try leaving the packs connected to the parallel board after the charge cycle has completed. Usually takes between 5 and 20 minutes then they will correct the balance issues.

As for the cell voltage checkers vs the charger reading, most cell checkers are not capable of very accurate cell checking. The cell checkers use a method that is susceptible to errors caused by any slight corrosion on the balance pins. In addition that, they often pull their power from the pack which causes the readings to change.

While calibration issues may exist on the charger, its more likely that the cell checkers have calibration issues. The get the truth of real voltage adding in more cell checkers or other chargers for confirmation just confuses the matter as those devices may also have calibration issues. How I would do it use a high quality calibrated digital volt meter and check one cell at a time.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:39 PM
Newbie WW1 Flying Ace
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2004
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk20 View Post
Well after about 5 months of ownership my PL6 no longer balances in parallel! It worked so well until about a week ago, no matter what batteries I throw at it, it will not balance in parallel! Very frustrating to have this problem with such a top charger. I am using the FMA expensive balance board. The scary part is that it will actually overcharge one cell beyond 4.2 volts! Not good.
Before blaming the charger, I'd carefully measure the resistance of all ports (including all balance ports) on the MPA board. I had similar behavior when I burned out one of the 40A fuses on my MPA without noticing - if I connected a pack to the port with the blown fuse it would throw off balancing for all ports and some cells would end up at a higher charge.
tww1fa is offline Find More Posts by tww1fa
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tww1fa View Post
Before blaming the charger, I'd carefully measure the resistance of all ports (including all balance ports) on the MPA board. I had similar behavior when I burned out one of the 40A fuses on my MPA without noticing - if I connected a pack to the port with the blown fuse it would throw off balancing for all ports and some cells would end up at a higher charge.
Yes I agree, just ordered el cheapo parallel board off ebay, and another battery checker, hope it`s that. The charger seems to do a better balancing job on single packs.

Paul.
pwilk20 is offline Find More Posts by pwilk20
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Yes I agree, just ordered el cheapo parallel board off ebay, and another battery checker, hope it`s that. The charger seems to do a better balancing job on single packs.

Paul.
The cheapo board will likely help matters. But that is only because it doesn't have fuses. The fuses are important, but do increase the cross cell balancing time. When the traces on the cheap board burn (and they nearly always do), you'll be back to unbalanced packs.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:35 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,785 Posts
Quote:

Paul.
I'd recommend using a quality fused board from a reputable vendor. The fuses are inexpensive insurance that prevent bad things from happening.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
I'd recommend using a quality fused board from a reputable vendor. The fuses are inexpensive insurance that prevent bad things from happening.
Yes I agree, I just need to confirm that my $70 parallel board is bad. Will only use the cheap one to test.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 01:10 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Will only use the cheap one to test.
That's not valid test since the cheap board does not have fuses. Instead, plug a single pack into your MPA and go into the monitor mode. If that port is bad you will get a cell count failure error on the charger. Stop monitor mode. Move balance connect on the pack to the next port, then restart monitor mode. If no errors occur, repeat for the remaining ports for that cell count. If you don't receive errors, your board is not bad. Its just the normal behavior described throughout this thread.

If your cheap board works, it does not prove the MPA is bad.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:56 PM
Newbie WW1 Flying Ace
Joined Mar 2004
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Move balance connect on the pack to the next port, then restart monitor mode.
It's a good idea to move both the balance connector and the charge connector to the next port. When I burned out a fuse it was the charge connector that had the problem.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:08 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
Quote:
It's a good idea to move both the balance connector and the charge connector to the next port. When I burned out a fuse it was the charge connector that had the problem.
Could you see the burned fuse? I thought visual inspection would do. But you are probably right, its to check the main connections as well just to be sure.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 09:58 AM
Newbie WW1 Flying Ace
Joined Mar 2004
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Could you see the burned fuse? I thought visual inspection would do. But you are probably right, its to check the main connections as well just to be sure.
I did manage to detect that the fuse was blown after testing electrically, but it required a pretty close examination of the fuse to see it was blown.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:22 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,785 Posts
Quote:
I did manage to detect that the fuse was blown after testing electrically, but it required a pretty close examination of the fuse to see it was blown.
A DVM with a continuity check is the easiest and most accurate way to check for an open circuit, assuming you can reach both of the fuse contacts.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
82 Posts
OK so I borrowed my buddy`s PL8, did a bunch of tests with different batteries. My conclusion is that my PL6 is working fine. Yes, parallel charging is not perfect, it will not balance all batteries perfectly. So what I did is set the end voltage to 4.15 volts per cell, this way it doesn't go over 4.2, then after charge is complete, leave the batteries connected for around 20 minutes and all cells balance quite well.

Paul.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
82 Posts
And I do love the charger

Paul.