HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:02 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullworm View Post
not sure how i feel about the bare metal 109, they just dont look right soo clean looking. needs camo imo
It's probably actually painted silver. The color is too consistent for bare metal. Did you know that Mustang wings were painted silver (after primer!) before applying any color paint? And many, even when the paint was "stripped" off later in the war, had the wings still left painted silver? The natural laminar flow wing used on the mustang for it's long legs and great speed needed to be painted and kept smooth or performance degraded noticeably. Even the small bimps from the flush fasteners (when not painted over) created enough disruption to the airfoil to make the aircraft behave quite differently.
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:25 AM
This area for rent
Vestal, NY
Joined May 2006
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemn615 View Post
I tried that first. It's not the piece that holds the strut. What I am seeing is the bar that moves back and forth is not tight thus a little slop on that end means a lot at the wheel end. It's bad enough that when the gear is up it causes drag which makes me have to give a bit of up trim because they sag down so much. No it's not nose heavy. I removed the gear door covers and the problem mostly went away.

I am actually a good pilot but this thing makes me look like a first time pilot on the ground and on landings. Give me my 190 and it's awesome gear and I make the takeoffs and landings look like the real deal.
so your problem is the gear when retracted hang below the wing. welcome to the club both of ours do that. one of the fix's i plan to attempt this winter is inspired by the FMS fockewulf. the top of the strut on the FW are bend to give the FW stance when deployed the retract unit looks like it retracts a full 90 degrees if the strut is not attached. so the circuit overload shuts down the system whe the gear are retracted. that in mind i plan to bend the struts on the ME109 that 5 degrees to see if that fixes the sagging struts problem.

Joe
paladin-34 is offline Find More Posts by paladin-34
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:39 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,930 Posts
I personally would just scrap the rubbish stock retract units and get the fms made units. Won't have a problem after that.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:22 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,067 Posts
I made a "rough" ok circus landing with the 109 and bent the struts, the gear would not close. In the process of the repair bending the struts and finally warping the skirts a little closed the gap perfectly. The starboard wheel now fits sweet but I need to tweak the port gear a bit more, I have flown it since and they seen to be staying in place with "normal" landings
Mr.frankenjet is offline Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:29 AM
Foam Wrecker
United States, NY, West Babylon
Joined May 2012
116 Posts
Frankenjet can you post more pics of that plane? Looks sweeet!

Dambit... can you clarify your last statement? Aren't the stock retracts made by FMS?
voidmix is offline Find More Posts by voidmix
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:32 AM
Foam Wrecker
United States, NY, West Babylon
Joined May 2012
116 Posts
Never mind Frankenjet... I found 'em!
voidmix is offline Find More Posts by voidmix
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:15 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,911 Posts
Dambit, which FMS retracts are you speaking of?
How long until you are finished with the slats?
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:02 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2012
252 Posts
i thought it was painted even the control surfaces are even the same color.
bullworm is offline Find More Posts by bullworm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:32 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidmix View Post
Dambit... can you clarify your last statement? Aren't the stock retracts made by FMS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Dambit, which FMS retracts are you speaking of?
How long until you are finished with the slats?
The stock retracts are an unit from another supplier. FMS has made very good copies of the metal E-Flight retract units. They have also done a version that is metal chassis with a plastic housing which are a bit cheaper, but just as good. They are marketed towards the 1700mm planes but they are a direct drop in replacement for the FW 190 and, I will double check this, for this plane.

As for my slats mod, I am still waiting for the bearings for the port wing to arrive. Should be this week though.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 08:24 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,930 Posts
My bearings finally arrived in stock at my local bearing supplier. So last night I installed the port slat. The second one is always easier

Just need to repaint and hopefully I'll be able to go for a test flight tomorrow.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 04:23 AM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,004 Posts
Looks great Steve, and good luck!

Pssst:....don't forget the tail mod.
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:11 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,930 Posts
Well I woke up today all excited about the afternoons re-maiden/test flight, made a coffee and went out to sit in the sun by the pool.......... WINDY AS ALL HELL!!!!

By 1500 it had dropped to about 15 kts and gusting higher, so I wasn't expecting much but still took the 109 down to the field for "show 'n tell". So glad I did, because by about 1730 the winds had eased to about 12kts and was right down the strip. So up I went.

The 109 took off mostly ok (still not used to it's quirks on the ground), but once the gear was up it was great. Handled really well and the paint scheme looked even better when flying. I have absolutely no idea if the slats deployed during flight or not, but I suspect not because I wasn't doing any tight turns or hard pull-ups. My aim was to just do a simple flight test to see if would in fact still fly. A few of the guys had no idea what the slats were or were supposed to do. One guy even thought that the servos for my "front flaps" were broken. Mind you, this guy thinks anhedral isn't a real term and that the correct term is "negative dihedral" haha (not totally inaccurate I suppose)

Anyway, as I said it flew great and next weekend I will do some harder flying to test the slat function. I will have an on-board wing camera to film them as I wan't to know what they are doing (if anything).

Cheers,

Steve
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:18 AM
Fly it like you're in it
Canada, ON, London
Joined Nov 2012
406 Posts
Well done on all points!
Yours is the most successful slat mod I've seen yet.
microlyn is offline Find More Posts by microlyn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: painting/finishing dynam 109