SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
12 Posts
Question
Motor/ESC Testing

I was just wondering, before i buy a new motor and esc, if there is anyway to use a volt meter or anything to see if a motor or a ESC is any good.
theduke44 is offline Find More Posts by theduke44
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Assuming brushless, you can ohm out the motor connections. A-B and A-C and B-C should all ohm out the same (pretty close).

The ESC would be tough to test. Bring a batt and a motor and a servo tester?
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,704 Posts
A dvm, using the resistance setting, can be used to do some basic checks on a motor:

Resistance between each pair of motor leads (i.e. 1-2, 2-3, and 3-1) should be very low, and about the same as each other.

Resistance between each motor lead and the motor casing should be infinite, i.e. open-circuit, no connection.

If those parameters are okay, you should be good to connect the motor to an ESC, to try it, with a wattmeter or ammeter in line to check the amps it's drawing from the battery. It doesn't have to be the same-power ESC as the motor, and you can use a smaller battery than usual, so long as you go very easy on the throttle, and shut down if anything doesn't seem right -- such as meter shows too many amps, burning smell, strange noises, vibration, etc.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,788 Posts
'Dry' testing brushless motors after a mishap:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tips Drive Calculator diy motor group Cumulus MFC
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren