SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2012, 01:29 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
Rough sanded and spaces filled...

I will draw out the new fin and rudder later. Right now I am going out to the field for a bit.. Later.

PP
Don,

You do really nice work!

I got the holes drilled for the wing mount. Will add some diagonal bracing to the outer wing panel.

I'll try and mount it later today and take a picture of it's bones.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 06:43 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
I managed to get the wing mounted and the diagonal bracing installed in the outer wing panel. It's starting to look like a sailplane. I like it!

Here's a couple pictures. I also posted them on the Sailplane Talk Thread.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:23 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
Eddie!
Part of your twisting abilities is the lack of shear webs out there at the tip panel! go ahead- put them in! Even if you have light flight loads, the webs will help on those skidding belly turn landings!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old May 05, 2012, 09:30 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,018 Posts
Eddie, this is a beautiful sailplane! You are doing a great job. I love those tips and The way the spinner fairs right in with the pod. What did you use for the stab saddle? I am going to have to hand make mine and it will have to be carefully crafted so I can get the incidence right with the wing.
Captain has a point. Those wings will go really twisty on you without the shear webs out on the tip panels. They won't add much weight. I have already added them to my wings and also sheeted them all the way out to the tips. Might be overkill but I will need the additional strength at 132"!

PP
planepainter is online now Find More Posts by planepainter
Old May 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,018 Posts
The beginning of a beautiful rudder...
Old May 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Quote:
Eddie, this is a beautiful sailplane! You are doing a great job. I love those tips and The way the spinner fairs right in with the pod. What did you use for the stab saddle? I am going to have to hand make mine and it will have to be carefully crafted so I can get the incidence right with the wing.
Captain has a point. Those wings will go really twisty on you without the shear webs out on the tip panels. They won't add much weight. I have already added them to my wings and also sheeted them all the way out to the tips. Might be overkill but I will need the additional strength at 132"!

PP
Hi Don,

Thanks. I made the saddle out of a piece of 5/8" balsa. After I shaped it and epoxied it to fit on the boom,I glassed it and wrapped the glass around the boom.

Yeah,I'll add the shear webs. I weighed it as shown in the picture. It weighs 30.5 oz. That's without the motor,battery and esc. I was hoping to keep it close to 40oz. AUW,but it will be around 45oz. AUW with the covering,paint and electronics. So it's still within reason.

Eddie
Old May 05, 2012, 11:44 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,018 Posts
Not as pretty as Eddies but I think they will work fine...

PP
Old May 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Quote:
Not as pretty as Eddies but I think they will work fine...

PP
Dang you do nice work! I like it. I think I'll send my next kit to you and have you build it for me

I'm getting tired of building. I need to go flying. My pure 3M needs some minor things done to it. I think I'll modify the tips on it also. I might even put a bit of a flare on my Oly III tips,just for fun.

Don,have you flown your Oly III lately? I think I'll take mine out next week. That is,if I get my other projects around the house done.

Eddie
Old May 05, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Spirit building question(s) barge session.....

Hey Don, Nice plane!

1) When you rebuilt your 2M Spirit, I'm thinking you made a new horiz stab??
2) And if so, did you make the horiz stab/elev smaller than the original? and if so, 3) Did that seem to work well enough, and if it did,
4) What's the current wing-to-horiz stab distance and,
5) What's the root chord and span of you horiz stab/elev, and,
6) Is the horiz stab more or less in the wake of the wing or above or below the wake of the wing?

Thanks -Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old May 05, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Ooops, Nevermind.........

Hey, I found your short post-procedural posting you posted on the afore-questioned Spirit 2m rebuild.

Although, feel free to comment on your current thoughts on those matters I asked about and post here or on my Spirit build log. Heck, post pictures of your big 'ol biggened Sig Riser on my build log too if you so wish.

Adios - Paul
Old May 05, 2012, 08:13 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,018 Posts
Hey Pauli, are the above questions for me? I did a total rebuild of my Spirit 2 meter and can give you all of those things you asked for. Donald.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:44 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,018 Posts
flaps

First photo shows flap stowed. Second shows flap deployed. There are three flap positions. The nice thing is that you can program the TX to set the flap one and flap two positions. I have my flap servos driven from the "gear" channel. I then slaved the flap toggle to that channel.

PP
Old May 08, 2012, 02:32 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
238 Posts
can you throw some camber in there as well. and mix in some camber with the ailerons.
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward
Old May 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Deep thoughts of Flaps and Thermals.........

Hey Don, you are probably really going to be liking the flaps on that thing once you put that plane into a thermal. I just went out this morning with my Ace Easy Eagle and flew for about a 45 min outing, several flights lasting about 10+ min, before I had to go home get ready to go to work. The vultures had "just" come out of their roosting trees within minutes prior to me launching on the hi-start which I knew then I "nailed it" for best conditions. I got that plane into thermals several times, put the flaps down about 30 degrees (?) and just let it slow down and circle upwards until the breeze (a good stiff breeze) carried the plane far enough away then put the flaps up, headed into the wind until it was closer and once nailed a 2nd thermal after leaving the 1st. It was a good morning for sure.

Now that I'm making that modified Spirit, and it will likely be more in the "lead-sled" direction than "floater" direction, I'm really wondering about putting flaps in before I finish since I think it will likely circle in thermals faster than I like. I can always put them in later - I'd like to see how a "really clean" 2M winged plane flies first though(although I kind of messed that "really clean" idea up by putting spoilers in already).

Adios- Paul
Old May 12, 2012, 07:05 AM
LSF 4685
Winchester, KY
Joined Sep 2009
498 Posts
Tired of building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
Dang you do nice work! I like it. I think I'll send my next kit to you and have you build it for me

I'm getting tired of building. I need to go flying. My pure 3M needs some minor things done to it. I think I'll modify the tips on it also. I might even put a bit of a flare on my Oly III tips,just for fun.

Don,have you flown your Oly III lately? I think I'll take mine out next week. That is,if I get my other projects around the house done.

Eddie
The way I fly, I can't afford to get tired of building! I'm looking forward to getting out soon. My strength and endurance has improved significantly in the past two weeks..... Dave
k4to.dave is online now Find More Posts by k4to.dave