HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:57 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
It also looks like a Multiplex Micro-Jet with fins canted inwards.
it is a microjet clone.... and here is my microjet that I got flying this weekend...on 3s thus far but will be on 4s soon!!

Homemade motor mount. this was a flat piece of aluminum ....gotta love a vice and hammer!!

The best $12 ever spent!! This thing is amazing!! It is meant for a 64mm fan and is 4300kv. On a 4.5X4.1 prop is SCREAMS on 3s and then on 4s....HOLY CRAP!!!

The F-86 is done! But need to make a battery tray... you can see it in the background...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Last edited by gooniac33; Oct 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:46 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
140 Posts
Thats the way to do it!!
drone19730602 is offline Find More Posts by drone19730602
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:28 PM
accidental ignition
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
it is a microjet clone.... and here is my microjet that I got flying this weekend...on 3s thus far but will be on 4s soon!!
It's a hand made prop rocket! This reminded me....I have a back packing cook pot made of thin titanium which has never been used in ten years. Could maybe fabricate motor mounts out of it. That might be cool!
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Yesterday, 03:05 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
While we're talking fans, can I get some opinions on the followings?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...DF_3300kv.html
Got Dr.mad thrust 3300kv and it's smooth running and static thrust is approx 650g on 4S in my primitive test bench.

BUT it's 100g! I did not like that ...
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post
Got Dr.mad thrust 3300kv and it's smooth running and static thrust is approx 650g on 4S in my primitive test bench.

It is a little heavy. But if you set it up right the sound makes up for it all!! It helps balance out the normally nose heavy planes so it usually evens out in the long run. My Screamer has one and it was dazzling the onlookers this weekend again! The sound and the speed don't seem to match since it is over 100mph but barely makes a sound....
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
Or just a good balance job on a stock fan/motor (much lighter) on 4S...great power and cheap...
That was my original plan (just replace the 3S battery with a 4S), but I don't want to burn out the power system. My flying field is surrounded by houses and mothballed buildings with tall windows, and we're only tolerated there as long as we don't cause any damage. The last thing I need is an out of control missile with a burned ESC.
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post

That's just 3.5oz. Off the top of my head, with airframe and equipment, you still have better than 1:1 thrust.

Sure, it will land fast, but don't they already all do?
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
875 Posts
Quote:
That was my original plan (just replace the 3S battery with a 4S), but I don't want to burn out the power system. My flying field is surrounded by houses and mothballed buildings with tall windows, and we're only tolerated there as long as we don't cause any damage. The last thing I need is an out of control missile with a burned ESC.
You would have to up the ESC for 4S regardless...and as long as care is taken to place the esc in the airstream and not fly at WOT all of the time, it is a fantastic set up. If you are really worried about loss, toss in a BEC and inhibit the BEC on the ESC (also keeps the esc cooler).
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SA F-18 50MM Build
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,583 Posts
Quote:
we're only tolerated there as long as we don't cause any damage.
Maiden Your hot rod F-8 some where else if possible!

Because of the small wings on the F-8 go for a lightweight setup
especially flying in a cramped area.
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
accidental ignition
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,563 Posts
Quote:
My flying field is surrounded by houses and mothballed buildings with tall windows, and we're only tolerated there as long as we don't cause any damage.
Is your flying field near chateau frontenac? Those large buildings made an impression on me when we studied canada in geography class.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,025 Posts
T-33: effect of the tip tanks

there's not much talk about the T-33 - another great but underrated model of the Sky Angel series. I might get another airframe, really like the ace maker scheme, and you can get it in kit version, e.g., here
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=3515

For those interested in the model I'll share some experience I had with the model:

My (blue kit from HK) T-33 started off as an unpowered slope model, carbon rod in the wing, linkages on top - it was doing ok, but it was extremely difficult to hold stable on the roll axis - maybe I should have dialled down the aileron throws even further
youtube.com/watch?v=cJQhev36x5Q

then I put in a stock sky angel fan, and it performed great on 3s 850mA
youtube.com/watch?v=eUZM6gAcyLU

didn't care so much for the high-pitched sound, so I put in a CS 11-blade fan, using the 3600kV 3610 Turnigy motor (really 3700kV). For this, I needed to sand the exhaust for sufficient static thrust. Flew great, didn't balance the fan properly so it's loud, but with the lower rpm I like it better

T-33 50mm 11 blade exhaust sanded (2 min 6 sec)

last weekend, I finally got the tip tanks on, looks better IMO, but you feel the higher weight and drag (almost ditched the launch, couldn't launch against the wind). The positive effect of the tiptanks was also very clear: much more stable in the air, and less prone to tip stall, can be slowed down easier it seemed

T-33 50mm 11 blade with tiptanks 3700kV 1000mA 3s (1 min 40 sec)

The next flight was better (with reduced noseweight) but didn't start the camera properly

I'd really like a bigger foam T-33, 64mm or 70mm

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
Is your flying field near chateau frontenac? Those large buildings made an impression on me when we studied canada in geography class.
It's kinda close -- just 250km away. (I'm in Montreal, Frontenac is in Quebec City.)

I'm over-exaggerating the risks, really, as there is plenty of flying room. Still, I don't like pushing equipment to the limits. I always leave myself wide safety margins, which is why I would get an actual 4S fan rather than just overboosting the stock fan. We have tall grass so landing a heavy ship hot is not too much of an issue.