HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:10 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Discussion
Electric Float fly

It looks like my local club may have a chance to fly from a nearby lake. In anticipation of this I bought floats for my Hobby Zone Super Cub.

Knowing me I will dunk it in the drink. I am concerned about waterproofing the Electronics and battery. The motor can be sprayed with WD 40 to handle any water.

I would appreciate any advice that you might be able to give me about protecting the electronics and battery.

Thanks,
Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Dunk your ESC and your Rx in Corrosion X then drip dry , no other protection necessary .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawcuter View Post
It looks like my local club may have a chance to fly from a nearby lake. In anticipation of this I bought floats for my Hobby Zone Super Cub.

Knowing me I will dunk it in the drink. I am concerned about waterproofing the Electronics and battery. The motor can be sprayed with WD 40 to handle any water.

I would appreciate any advice that you might be able to give me about protecting the electronics and battery.

Thanks,
Bob
WD can dissolve certain wire varnishes, from my understanding. I freed up a sticking doorbell plunger with it. Worked well for one day. I've heard to use CorrosionX or pure silicone spray. The motor is probably the most abuse worthy part, and can take a bit of water, as long as you get it out. I wouldn't worry about the motor too much.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:13 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,106 Posts
I think CorrosionX is a mineral oil based product. The conformal coating product Castle Creations uses to waterproof their ESCs is a silicon based product. I prefer the CorrosionX and have been using it for over 3 years with excellent results.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:28 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. I have checked with every auto parts store in town and none of them have Corrision X. 2 of them have a spray for waterproffing ignitions and one store thinks that they can order it.

I will check back with them tomorrow. If they can't order it for me I will go to one of the stores that has a different brand and cross my fingers.

Your advice is very much appreciated

Bob
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
Look online and you will find it and I think the have a dealers list if I remember right, as I haven't bought any for a few years, still using my first bottle. You want to get the Corroision X in the red bottle, then pour about an inch or so into a quart jar with lid. Just drop your ESCs and RXs into the jar and kind of tilt it back and forth to get air bubbles out from under the heat shrink. I leave them in the jar overnight or longer. Let it drip dry then wipe with paper towel. I treat my electronics once a year at the begining of season. That inch or so of CX will last a long time just keep the lid on the jar. havn't lost an ESC since using this method, cant' say the same thng for using the spray can and just spraying the ESC
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawcuter View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I have checked with every auto parts store in town and none of them have Corrision X. 2 of them have a spray for waterproffing ignitions and one store thinks that they can order it.

I will check back with them tomorrow. If they can't order it for me I will go to one of the stores that has a different brand and cross my fingers.

Your advice is very much appreciated

Bob
The CorrosionX site says that participating True Value hardware stores have it. I stopped by the local TV last week to see if they had it, and of course they didn't.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:18 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
You might give marine supply stores a try. That is where I found mine.
Avoid the blue can (aviation) formula as it is too thick and messy for our needs.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:18 PM
Garry
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
Site also says if they don't have it they can order it in the 6oz spray can, True Value #619835. You can drill 1/8" hole in jar lid insert the spray tube and empty the can into the jar, that 6oz can will last a long time. just plug the little hole in lid to keep plugged to keep from evaporating and also spilling.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:30 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Electric Float Flying

Again thank you very much for the guidance. I checked online and found Corrosion X at Amazon and ordered a 16 oz hand spray bottle.

We are have a demonstration for the manager of the company that owns the lake Thursday. I won't have my Super Cub ready by then. But It should be ready in about a week. Guessing that the Corrosion X will be here in 4 or 5 days. I am looking forward to giving float flying a try.

All of you have been very helpful.

Bob
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Garry
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
strawcuter, goodluck with your floatflying. I know your going too enjoy it. 16oz of CX should last a long long time using the above method
Old Oct 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Electric float flying

When I asked about the Corrision X I should have asked if those of you using it also fly using 2.4 Ghz. At such high frequencies mateials that are successful at 72 Mhz may not work.

Again I would appreciate you advice. I use a Spektrum DX 7 Tx and an AR 500 Rx.

Bob
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:25 PM
Garry
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
I soaked 2 Spectrum AR 6100 RX with no problem, I also use XPS 2.4, I just take the RX out of the case and give a good soak then gently wipe and soak up any excess CX on the RX and also ESC. Only thing about CX is you have to use wire ties or figure out how to secure your ESC and RX as velcro or any thing else will not stick to it if it has CX on it. Still easier and cheaper than replaceing electronics.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Electric Float Flying

Crash - RC,

Thanks for the update. I do hold both the Rx and ESC on with velcro. I will use plastic ties.

I 'm really learning a lot about protecting electronics in float airplanes. zmy Corrision X hasn't arrived yet. I suspect it will be here tomorrow.

Bob
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:08 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,106 Posts
I've found that the CorrosionX fluid in the 16 oz. hand pump sprayer is a little thicker than the fluid in the spray can version. I've used both on my 2.4 Spektrum stuff and they work just fine. You will need to let the thicker stuff sit a little longer to throughly soak into ESCs that are covered in tight heat shrink covers.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28