Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:33 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Question
Help getting the rear bearing out of TT .46 Pro?

I need to get the rear bearing out of a TT .46 Pro and I'm looking for any advice. The rear bearing is flush with inside of the crank channel, so no way to get any leverage on it. I heated the case, but the bearing is stuck in there pretty good and I couldn't get it to knock out of the warm case.

Thanks,
Duke
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:58 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2005
609 Posts
What I did with my 46 PRO was to freeze the crankcase for
25-30 min in the freezer. Then take a heat gun and heat it up
until I could smack it against a 2X4, and it falls right out.
The heat gun is the type that can be used for paint removal(on high).
I dont know if a monokote type gun will work or not.
Some people like to heat it in the oven,then smack it on a 2X4.
Either way will work
Dennis157 is offline Find More Posts by Dennis157
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:01 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Well, I didn't freeze it first, but I already did the typical heat&beat without any luck. Looking for other options.

Duke
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:46 PM
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Set your oven to 300-350degrees, remove the muffler and carburatior from it and put the engine on a bakeing pan, heat for 20 minutes. Wearing a thick leather glove grabb the engine and lightly smak it on a piece of wood and the bearing will fall out. Wile still warm install the new bearing Let cool lube the new bearings with light oil and reasemble it. Learned that one from a champion pylon racer. I have done it and it works. You have to heat the engine block enough so it will expand more then the bearing and become lose enough to fall out. The expansion rate between steel and aluminum are different, the aluminum expands quicker then steel allowing it to become loose.And dont forget to remove the protective sheilds from the inner bearing to expose the rollers so they can get lube wile the engine is running.Also after a day of flying shoot some light oil down the carb and flip the engine over a few times to keep the new bearings happy wile the plane is in storage. the nitro thats in the fuel has a tendacy to draw moistrue or remove the oil thats on them and will cause them to rust causeing early bearing failure.Been there done that.
Athlon-DHU- is offline Find More Posts by Athlon-DHU-
Last edited by Athlon-DHU-; Feb 17, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:12 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Ok, for starters I already tried heating the case and couldn't get the bearing out. Secondly, I did manage to get the bearing out today. I gave it a good soak in penetrating oil over night. Then I used an 1/2" expandable concrete wall anchor. I had to grind it down a bit to fit in the bearing, but I got the slips into the bearing and when I screwed the lag bolt into it, it locked the anchor skirt into the bearing. Once I had it locked in, it was just 4 or 5 good taps with a hammer and punch on the bolt to knock the bearing out.

Duke
Old Feb 19, 2007, 08:03 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,131 Posts
Duke...that's an interesting option...never thought of that one

I made a special tool out of a flat blade screwdriver...
I bent the last 1/16" of the tip over 90 degrees and ground it thin so it can reach down through from the front and catch on the edge of the rear bearings inner race. I then heat the case and use the tool to tap lightly with a small hammer . I hit it lightly, then 180 degrees around so as not to cock the bearing in the bore.
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:08 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Thanks proptop, the screwdriver idea is a good one as well. Might have to make one up for my strange tools drawer.

On another note, if you need to pull the drive washer off an engine, the best tool I have found is a power steering pulley puller. You can get it at an auto parts store for about $12 and it has a set of slips which fit in the groove on the drive washer perfectly. Then you just crank the bolt in and it pops the washer right off even the most stubborn of engines.

Duke
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Wow that bearing was really stuck in there! useally they just fall out. I use a mini gear puller for that to works good also.Good idea on that puller. What ever works.
Athlon-DHU- is offline Find More Posts by Athlon-DHU-
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2006
432 Posts
You should win something for that problem solved! If I ever have a bearing that tough to remove I will try that expanding concrete fastener bolt :TOOL: that worked for you Darn good idea!
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
Thanks, luckily, the anchors were on top of my workbench from hanging some wall planters on the side of the house. If they hadn't been in plain sight I might not have thought of it.

Duke