HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2013, 01:47 AM
Joined Dec 2013
13 Posts
Discussion
Recommendation for inexpensive oscilloscope

Looking for something that wont break the bank but effective for light use. Specifically want to test generators output waveform. I've been getting the run around from trying to figure out if certain inverter generators are true sine wave or MSW.
My knowledge of oscilloscopes are limited and I am a beginner to play with oscilloscopes, but from what I've read in order to read right at the AC outlet I need a 10X probe
I was thinking this?
http://www.sainsmart.com/tools-equipments/oscilloscope-dso/sainsmart-dds-120-20m-50m-s-virtual-oscilloscope-silver.html
unionkind is offline Find More Posts by unionkind
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:11 AM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
417 Posts
Never used one of those. But the probes look like the standard 1x, 10x selectable types.

A good scope can easily cost $1,500+, so it's probably worth trying a cheapie first. You'll probably end up finding a use for it even if you end up getting a better scope in the end.

-Jake
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:47 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,396 Posts
depends on IF you want " to see something " or if you want to measure ...

I do not think you can tell if a wave form is correct with such low bandpass devices.

but you roughly can estimate if it's a triangle, sinus ... or " patatoïd " ( french word for ... undescribable )
square waves need very little osc. rising times to be truly measured ... even @ low frequencies.

as you describe it ... a 50$ Ebay osc. with the right input attenuator could give you the answer.

also note " pure sinus " inverters always show it ... on the box !!! ( also on the price sticker )
" quasi sinus " mean trapezoidal wave ...
and nothing stated mean square.

no need to scope anything !!!

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Old Dec 27, 2013, 01:58 AM
Joined Dec 2013
13 Posts
This one http://www.sainsmart.com/tools-equipments/oscilloscope-dso/sainsmart-dds-120-20m-50m-s-virtual-oscilloscope-silver.html

which i talked about is a PC based oscilloscope, so i need a PC to display the data and wave. This type is much cheaper than oscilloscope with LCD.
If i can find a LCD Digital Oscilloscope which worth the money around $800 or more of it, I would like to pay.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Sep 2013
10 Posts
Looked at it and didn't see,

Does this have a trigger delay?

I'm very disapointed with the hantek i thought was a decent peice of equipment, with no trigger delay ~almost lava lamp material.

Xp783 is offline Find More Posts by Xp783
Old Dec 27, 2013, 03:30 AM
Joined Dec 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xp783 View Post
Looked at it and didn't see,

Does this have a trigger delay?

I'm very disapointed with the hantek i thought was a decent peice of equipment, with no trigger delay ~almost lava lamp material.
Not sure about this maybe this one http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-d...ope-black.htmlis better when i compare their hardware, but is also cost more
DDS 120 :Real-time sampling rate up to 50M hz
Recommended input: 1 ~ 15M hz
while DDS 140:Real-time sampling rate up to 200M hz
Recommended input: 1 ~ 30M hz
Old Dec 27, 2013, 03:43 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,141 Posts
I bought a Hantek DSO 2090; Complete load of junk, there is far to much noise on the signal input to make it feasible to use for any signals below 1V. I would not consider a USB scope again.

Far better to have a standalone scope that stands a decent chance of having a low noise supply, and is isolated to boot.

The Rigol scopes (DS1052 etc) are perfectly 'decent' and more than adequate for most purposes, so dont be put off by high prices.

For measuring high voltage stuff, the very last thing I would do is connect a high voltage source to a USB scope that is connected to my PC, too much can go wrong.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:00 AM
Joined Dec 2013
4 Posts
Recommendation for inexpensive oscilloscope-Hantek 6022BE

Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
I bought a Hantek DSO 2090; Complete load of junk, there is far to much noise on the signal input to make it feasible to use for any signals below 1V. I would not consider a USB scope again.

Far better to have a standalone scope that stands a decent chance of having a low noise supply, and is isolated to boot.

The Rigol scopes (DS1052 etc) are perfectly 'decent' and more than adequate for most purposes, so dont be put off by high prices.

For measuring high voltage stuff, the very last thing I would do is connect a high voltage source to a USB scope that is connected to my PC, too much can go wrong.

I was looking at various retailer's web sites today, looking for Arduino components, when I came across Hantek PC Based USB Digital Storage Oscilloscope 6022BE  with 20Mhz Bandwidth (48 MSa/S) . It is sold by Deal Extreme out of Hong Kong for $70 including free worldwide tracked shipping.  This seems like a really good product for very little money considering the specifications.  Compared to the Nano's 1MHz bandwidth (1 MSa/S), this would be a better shop tool.  It's dual channel, has storage capabilities and able to interface to PC software for data capture and analysis.  Pretty cool.  I might pick up one.  I've seen used conventional oscilloscopes on Kijiji and CL for 5 times this amount with the same specs.
Apolono is offline Find More Posts by Apolono
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:40 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolono View Post
This seems like a really good product for very little money considering the specifications
So did the more expensive Hantek I bought, which was a complete waste of money in my view.

But the specs look good.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Dec 27, 2013, 09:29 AM
United States, KY, Pikeville
Joined Dec 2013
49 Posts
You can find some good used analog scopes on eBay pretty cheap.
HillbillyBrewer is offline Find More Posts by HillbillyBrewer
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Jul 2013
22 Posts
i'm using one of those: http://toolboom.com/en/Articles/DSO-...pe-Review.html
and i'm happy with it. you can get a new one for about 60 bucks.
patryk is offline Find More Posts by patryk
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patryk View Post
i'm using one of those: http://toolboom.com/en/Articles/DSO-...pe-Review.html
and i'm happy with it. you can get a new one for about 60 bucks.

For low frequency stuff, or if you want portability, the DSO nano isn't bad. It's a limited tool, but if your needs fall within it's limitations, it gets the job done. I have a DSO quad I use a fair bit and it works fine. I normally use it if I want portability, and use an EBay analog CRT scope for the bench stuff as it's faster to dial into what I want and I rarely need to store the traces.

If my analog scope ever dies, I might spring for a Rigol though. They get great reviews and are much more portable than my old CRT scope.

I thought about the USB based devices, but regardless of the specs, the reviews tend to be very mixed. It doesn't help that the specs often lie about very basic easy to test items and most seem poorly designed.

It would be nice if someone made a hobby level scope with good quality. Perhaps lower bandwidth/sample rate, it's not like most of us need to scope 100Mhz signals. I doubt most hobby level users need more than 10Mhz most of the time. With the smaller market, it probably doesn't make sense for a big manufacturer to do it though.

Where the OP is asking about AC mains, I'd strongly recommend against a USB device. All it takes is for one of those cheap parts to fail and you have HV AC going into your USB port. At the very least, use an old computer you can stand to lose. If you are willing to spend the extra money, the Rigol scopes are a great option for that sort of thing. But even a 10Mhz Analog CRT scope will likely do everything you need. We're talking about a 60Hz signal here...
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:22 PM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,396 Posts
I'd add ...

and we still do not know what Union really wants to do with its scope ...

" display data and wave " Ok, but which precision needed ... as stated in the first post, it was just " trying to figure out if certain inverter generators are true sine wave or MSW."

no need my Hameg 1008 combiscope for such a job !!!

a distorsion analyser ( or say meter ! ) could be enough here !!!
on the other hand, a memory device could be needed to compare the pure sinewave and the inverter output ...

being serious, I still do not see the true reason for buying a scope ... and overall the kind of scope to look for ...

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Old Dec 28, 2013, 04:53 AM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,628 Posts
See also this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041856

Taurus Flyer
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:26 AM
Splat
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
I bought a used Tektronix 465 years ago and it has proved to be a great investment. like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-46...item3389067e3b
PLC77 is offline Find More Posts by PLC77