HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined Aug 2013
62 Posts
Build Log
HL Leopard 2 Project

Ok, my Heng Long Leopard 2 will arrive next Monday. I'm going to convert it as a test bed for electronic and mechanical systems. With an ultimate goal of modding a bigger tank for RC Tank Combat

Features added and components involved will include:
Lipo Batteries (4000 mAh 3S battery)
Laser aiming aid (4mm red laser)
revamped control system (Futaba 6208SB receiver)
cross-drive transmission (Custom ordered transmission)
gun stabilization (gyro assembly and servos ripped from a Tarot 2-axis gimbal, plus some 3D printed gears)
FPV system, ( micro camera, 2.4G video transmitter)
goduranus is offline Find More Posts by goduranus
Last edited by goduranus; Dec 13, 2013 at 04:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:27 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Stabilize it as in....? With a little tweaking they can be pretty stable and are usually ok out of the box.
Sky HawK is offline Find More Posts by Sky HawK
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2013
62 Posts
As in having the gun barrel point the way regardless of how the tank body moves?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:07 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduranus View Post
As in having the gun barrel point the way regardless of how the tank body moves?
Ah, like a lock-on type. Not sure, I bet it could be done but would take a lot of work with sensors and software.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
The Tamiya Leopard 2a6 has a gyro gun stabilizer as an option. For a Heng Long, you'll have problems with adapting the toy grade stock Heng Long tank electronics to the hobby grade gyro equipment. But, with enough money and time, it could be done. I suggest you look into rc submarine equipment, as it may be another option instead of the Heli equipment.

Here's a video of the sub gyro stabilizer in action.

Congratulations on the completed resolution.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:57 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
It's easy to swap HL electronics out though, there's a few options that allow use of a hobby grade radio/receiver. It would be pretty cool to be able to "lock" the turret to a target and have it stay pointed that direction no matter what the hull was doing.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined Aug 2013
62 Posts
I've seen some videos of RC tanks that use gyros for stabilization, they tend to have a lag between when the hull movement and servo compensation: like here:

2-axis stabilizer guns on the rc tank BMP-2M (3 min 42 sec)

Is this lag to do with servo, or gyro?

Gimbal controllers seem to adapt to bumps really well, much better than the gyro mods, so I am a little tempted to use a gimbal controller for gun stabilization.
HeliPal.com - Tarot T-2D Brushless Gimbal T2D - GoPro HERO 3 Stabilizer (4 min 2 sec)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
Quote:
It's easy to swap HL electronics out though, there's a few options that allow use of a hobby grade radio/receiver.
When you say "swap out", you mean remove the stock electronics, discard them, purchase new electronics, install the new electronics, and make it all work?

Spending that much on a new tank (that works perfect) likely would be a problem for many budget minded folks (or people like myself who have to get purchases approved by the wife (a.k.a. finance committee)). Plus, one would need a hobby grade radio and receiver for the new electronics, which isn't free either. It's only easy if you've got lots of cash or have budgeted for the expense.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
I haven't swapped any of my HL electronics yet, but yes that part is easy. I don't think someone wanting a gyro-stabilized turret with target lock-on should be thinking about a budget build by any means. If you want budget, you run the stock HL electronics. If you're like me, you can't leave anything alone for very long. Really all I want is better sound, I feel the HL's drive fine stock.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2008
97 Posts
I see, your theory seems to be that because you think it will be easy, it should be easy for everyone. I guess we just disagree, which is ok. To each their own...
Last edited by jeff489; Dec 12, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Aug 2013
62 Posts
Well, the conversion is hobby grade in terms of expenses, but it's will be much cheaper than the typical quadrotor or plane on this forum. For comparison, a power unit on a plane that someone posed in one of my threads cost over $350.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:37 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
I never said it would be easy for everyone, but upgrading the electronics isn't that hard if you look around at some how-to's. The gyro stabilized turret would be the hardest part and not something I would know how to do. If you're any sort of hobbyist, I think swapping a couple PCBs, plugging in a few cables and maybe soldering a connection or two is considered an easy task. It's not like you're designing your own electronics.

It'll still cost to swap all the electronics in a tank, go to a decent hobby-grade transmitter and then you have to figure out the gyro. Probably a couple hundred bucks.