HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:37 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
536 Posts
Discussion
Flight Modes

Does anyone know where I can get list of all the different flight modes and what the movement is expected on the plane and why the flight mode would be useful?

As a noob to flight modes and full-house gliders, I'm interested to learn as much as possible.

Pictures and video would be most helpful.

Thanks

Ken
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:21 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,411 Posts
Depending on the radio, flight modes can encompass any control setting changes you wish to do...there is no set list. However, common modes would include launch, cruise, reflex (run), thermal and landing. Other modes are also used depending on need...I use eight. Normally TE settings, mixing (e.g., aileron to rudder), aileron differential and stab trim presets are what changes from mode to mode.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:30 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
536 Posts
Thanks Tom, now can you explain what each mode is? What is the difference between Launch and cruise, etc.

Thanks

Ken
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:56 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,176 Posts
These are the flight modes (aka conditions) I use:

In each mmode you can have your controls behave differently or the same. That would be up to you as the pilot. However, what you want is that for each flight mode the plane is still comfortably controllable and not much more than that.

Launch - Plane is set up for Max lift, trailing edge of wing does not got down any more, so ail diff is 100%, meaning te can only move up. Ail to rud mix is maxed. Ele dual rates on so ele is very tamed on launch.

Zoom - min drag setting. Good zooms will be over 100 mph. te settings need to be maximized for this speed.

Speed - this could be anything faster than cruise. TE settings depends on flight speed, hence will be affected by wing loading and wind.

Cruise - This is max LD of aircraft. Generally used to explore the air. Ok to use in light sink also.

Thermal 1 - Slightly faster than Thermal 2 settings. Used in turbulent thermals.

Thermal 2 (Float) - Min sink mode. Harder to fly consistent speed in this mode so better to fly in smooth air. Good to use for early morning floating. Try to fly hands off in this mode as much as possible. Settings should be so aircraft is still controllable but no yank and bank kind of authority.

Landing - settings pretty much suit to your needs.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:07 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,479 Posts
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:11 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
Thanks Tom, now can you explain what each mode is? What is the difference between Launch and cruise, etc.

Thanks

Ken

one's where you are launching the model from a high start/winch/etc. The other is when you are cruising about

What model are you flying and what f3x class?
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:52 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
536 Posts
I'll be starting in F3F, but I think this would be helpful for anyone learning to fly in any of the F3x classes.

If there are differences between the classes, it would be most helpful to also mention which class the settings are for.

Like I know that just about every class will likely have a launch mode. I see above where launch says max lift and every TE down as far as it can go...not sure if this is correct, as my flaps go just about a full 90 degrees....

Talking with Warren from another thread in F3F, he likes his launch mode with the flaps and the ailerons down just a bit...about 1/8-1/4".

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm just trying to learn more about radio settings and plane settings for the different modes.

My newest plane is a Pike Precision, but I also have an Energic and Omega Mini and other planes. These 3 are all full house, in that they all have flaps and ailerons....I hope I'm using the terminology correctly.

Anyways....

Thanks

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet View Post
one's where you are launching the model from a high start/winch/etc. The other is when you are cruising about

What model are you flying and what f3x class?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:19 PM
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2009
162 Posts
Ken:
Some people express trailing edge deflection in degrees. Others use mm.
Almost every manufacturer has recommended settings.
I am sure that Pike has recommendations on their web site.
Some of the modern TD gliders have no reference point on the fuse so templates are a must.
Mac
Mac37 is offline Find More Posts by Mac37
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:48 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
536 Posts
Actually, I was surprised with this, but they have zilch on their website for the Precision. It's n awesome plane, but...well...severely disappointing with how little documentation they had. I've actually got a build log going on this and have gotten quite a bit of help from others...Warren was GREAT in dropping by and helping.

Ken
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:50 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
I see above where launch says max lift and every TE down as far as it can go...not sure if this is correct, as my flaps go just about a full 90 degrees....
No, Tuan was trying to say that aileron diff in winch launch mode is usually set at 100%, so roll inputs only move the upward-deflecting aileron and flap...they do not go further down than the preset on the opposite side. This is to avoid stalling the wing at high AOA and low speed. The TE does not go down as far as it possibly can.

Since you are flying F3F, I will let those guys comment on flight modes, as I assume there is far less need for numerous modes (like a full-blown launch mode, or thermal and float, etc.)

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:08 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
536 Posts
Tom

Thanks for your reply, but I'm looking for info on all the different F3x classes. I'd be interested to hear what modes you may use. Like I mentioned above, pictures or video might be helpful as well. I'm also noticing the use of acronyms...which for a noob like me, I'll need some explanation for those as well.

Thanks

Ken
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:57 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
863 Posts
Heres a vid I did a few years ago:
RCSoaring.co.nz - How-To Series - 4. 'Flight Modes' (9 min 38 sec)
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:31 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,294 Posts
Ken,

I realize you don't own a Supra but this document, after lots of review as there is a lot of information on it, may also help clear things up.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...supra_wing.pdf

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:51 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,057 Posts
Useful info Les,
+1 on keeping the number of flight modes down. I only have a four-mode brain.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:55 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
863 Posts
Yep, was talking to someone the other day who has 10, some only active when certain switches are on etc. Did my head in. He was amazed I've flown at WC level with only 4. Even then I had a switchology problem once, lucky it was in the preWC and is easily prevented from happening again.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk