HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,041 Posts
Well, its one week later and the mold has been opened! Just as I expected, an excellent mold.
In the photos you can see its been all trimmed up and all the nasty little pokey strands have been rounded off so its safe to grab.

Once you have started the separation in one corner, stir sticks are the tool of choice. Sliding them down the flanges, going slow you can see the diagonal line of the release as you go.

Everything was clean and the TE fence was removed. Now some 1000 grit and polish it up.

Now onto the P5 molds.

Dave
Shaper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Shaper Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
605 Posts
Looks awesome!! doesnt look like much polishing is needed!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:29 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,408 Posts
Polishing, what polishing? That surface finish is IMMACULATE! Really nice work!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,041 Posts
Thanks guys,

There is a micro texture from the PVA that needs smoothing and the edges need to be flattened around the leading and trailing edges. Light work but the main thing is there are no ripples or bumps to straighten out.

Dave
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave View Post
Thanks guys,

There is a micro texture from the PVA that needs smoothing and the edges need to be flattened around the leading and trailing edges. Light work but the main thing is there are no ripples or bumps to straighten out.

Dave
Looks awesome, Dave.

Have you thought about trying some other release systems that will mimic the surface on the plug? In my experience it's much easier to polish painted plugs than it is to polish molds.
wyowindworks is online now Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:17 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Now onto the P5 molds.

Dave
Noooo You can't stop here! I thought we are going to see the Ghost in Halloween

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:20 AM
Chesty
Reedy Creek, Qld, Australia.
Joined May 2003
365 Posts
Shaper Dave, you blow my mind !!!
ClimaxPilot is offline Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:30 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,041 Posts
Adam,

I used to spend crazy time making the plugs completely scratch free and use only wax as the release. I found that I still had some sanding to do on the edges and maybe something stuck and I had to fix it etc.

My system has been worked out over many years and the results are always good. The key for me is a very thin PVA coat as an aid to the release. Not a full barrier as normally done to stop the resin from touching the surface. Its still 10 coats of Mold Wax then the mist coat.
Sanding the texture is minimal work for me, most people would not notice the texture if they look at the mold.

For me I know there are other systems and I always read what your doing as well. Great stuff by the way.

Dave
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:10 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
My system has been worked out over many years and the results are always good. The key for me is a very thin PVA coat as an aid to the release. Not a full barrier as normally done to stop the resin from touching the surface. Its still 10 coats of Mold Wax then the mist coat.
Sanding the texture is minimal work for me, most people would not notice the texture if they look at the mold.
Press on. I just wasn't sure if you new of some other alternatives. I'm Frekote to the core when making molds.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:38 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,947 Posts
Dave, wheres the order form form for a new sd winter board. Think 6 foot Swamis, from the nnw. Do I really have to buy freaking retail? I don't care which winter you deliver it either. 2012/13 is fine, and I'll even head over there to pick it up.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:10 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,466 Posts
Vac bagging wing plug/hand layup comparison.

I have just checked my vac bagged wing plugs for accuracy with a template printed out from Profili. At the root, my wings are 260mm chord. They are compressed at least 1 mm. at the point of maximum thickness! (maybe closer to 2 mm!)
This is further validation in my mind of your method of hand layup of the glass/carbon without vacuum Dave!
I will be doing any future plugs your method. ie. without vacuum.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Oct 29, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: correction of italics
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:41 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,041 Posts
Mike,

After I help my friend Carl Schaper get his shop going out at the Sugar Mill in Waialua, I may get to put some stock boards in his show room and do some custom boards as well. My speciality is Fun Boards, Long Boards and Vintage Short Boards. We'll talk.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:59 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,041 Posts
Jim,

You don't need to use full vacuum doing a plug. You only need to go no more than 8-10 hg for plenty of contact.
If your using the Dow Blue foam called "square edge" that I get here, we know it as a 2 lb foam density. Im surprised you would have that kind of change in the foil. I normally use 22-25 hg with normal bagged wings and no change in the foil size. This makes me think your using a lighter weight foam.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
I have just checked my vac bagged wing plugs for accuracy with a template printed out from Profili. At the root, my wings are 260mm chord. They are compressed at least 1 mm. at the point of maximum thickness! (maybe closer to 2 mm!)
This is further validation in my mind of your method of hand layup of the glass/carbon without vacuum Dave!
I will be doing any future plugs your method. ie. without vacuum.

Jim.
Did you mic your cores before bagging to make sure that they were correct to begin with?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:46 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
Did you mic your cores before bagging to make sure that they were correct to begin with?
No Adam. And because of that I cannot say for sure where or when the error was introduced.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!