HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Block diagram

Here is my setup.

On a side note, thanks camship! I've updated my design to included a UBEC. Good thinking.

-Brian
bgarber is offline Find More Posts by bgarber
Last edited by bgarber; Apr 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updated diagram and wording (again)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:17 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarber View Post
Here is my setup.

On a side note, thanks camship! I've updated my design to included a uBEC. Good thinking.

-Brian
Looking good. How is the PPM sum working out for you? I have not jumped into it yet. I have been using an external (analog) mixer for my using dual servos and spoileron/flaperons with the OSD Pro and haven't found a PPM solution yet. I'm sure one exists just have not had time to look.

Thanks and have a great day!

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
How is the PPM sum working out for you?
Hey Camship, sorry I was mistaken about the PPM. I updated the block diagram to show that it is a PWM input (just a basic servo control signal). I don't think that my Spektrum DX6i does PPM, and honestly I'm not all that familiar with PPM.

-Brian
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
radian 4700
Canada, QC, Saint-Hyacinthe
Joined May 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Here is my setup.

On a side note, thanks camship! I've updated my design to included a UBEC. Good thinking.

-Brian
Realy nice and clean diagram Brian, thanks!!!
francoishaha is offline Find More Posts by francoishaha
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
BEC and Rx.. need to shake hands...

Quote:
Here is my setup.

-Brian

I have a "what If" scenario for you.. (This "what if" scenario actually happened to me..)

I had been flying one day and on one particular flight I came in a bit too hot and had a really hard landing.. I didn't think much of it, so after a short break I went for another flight.. I had reached an elevation of about 700 ft and was out about 900 ft out when I lost video !!.. Being a newbie to FPV I of course panicked!... I was still able see my plane LOS, so I flew it home without the use of RTH..
I landed the plane and upon further inspection I found that the deans connector going into my elogger from my flight battery was not seated all the way in, the connection was not 100%.. intermittent at best. Therefore losing my OSD... But I still had power to the rx, and thereby power to my servos only because I had my CC BEC connected to the battery cable "feeding" the elogger!!

In your diagram you have the BEC installed "after the elogger" What if what happened to me happened to you?? You would have no power to your elogger. no power to your BEC, therefore no power to your Rx... Your plane would crash..!

See diagram in the pic...
Notice where the BEC gets it's power?. .directly from the power cable.. In our case, the "power in" or battery side to the elogger....

If all else fails.. you need to keep power to the Rx via a BEC (as the diagram shows..) so that you can maintain control of your plane if for some reason Sh..&^#..t hits the fan and you lose power to your beloved ET equipment!!

Whatever the reason was for installing your BEC as you did is certainly not worth the risk of crashing.. or worse yet.. A lost model..!
I should know... I've had my share of crashes.. and especially suffering from a complete and total loss of a fully loaded FPV model..
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Mykro, nice call! I missed that.

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
...But I still had power to the rx, and thereby power to my servos only because I had my CC BEC connected to the battery cable "feeding" the elogger!!...
Good call. I was originally thinking that it would be nice to record the total current of the battery in the eLogger, but it would be better to have some control of the aircraft in a situation like you had even without the motor running. That's a very easy change in both the schematic and electrical wiring. I'll have an updated diagram up soon.

Thanks Mykro!
Brian
Old May 02, 2012, 02:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hockley
Joined Aug 2008
20 Posts
Sorry, yet another newbie trying to put their first system together. I have the Fatshark predator tx/rx combo and the basics from eagle tree. I have trawled through this thread and think I understand how it all fits together and have attempted to draw it out. I would really appreciate someone with more experience taking a look at the attached diagram and pointing out any errors before I power up for the first time and fry something.

Name: FPV2.jpg
Views: 916
Size: 100.7 KB
Description: fvp wiring fatshark to eagle tree osd, gps and logger

Thanks
Crumpled is offline Find More Posts by Crumpled
Old May 02, 2012, 10:12 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpled View Post
Sorry, yet another newbie trying to put their first system together. I have the Fatshark predator tx/rx combo and the basics from eagle tree. I have trawled through this thread and think I understand how it all fits together and have attempted to draw it out. I would really appreciate someone with more experience taking a look at the attached diagram and pointing out any errors before I power up for the first time and fry something.

Thanks
Crumpled this is a well made and easy to read graphic.

Some observations:
  1. You might consider putting the BEC on the ESC side of the eLogger so it can read mAh for everything the main battery is supplying power to. If you are using a 3S main battery, you don't need to send power to the eLogger via BEC.
  2. You don't show your RC Rx in the graphic. You might consider showing it and also consider powering it via the BEC. Wire #17 would go the your RC Rx. Also consider showing the 'Y' cable between the RC Rx, eLogger, and OSD.
  3. The OSD only reads mono audio input and I believe it is the right audio channel. Consider only using wires #5 and #15 into the Audio in/out on the OSD.
  4. You will need the Aux. connection for on screen menus. Unfortunately, there are some functions that can only be accessed by the on screen menus, not the Windows software.
  5. I can't see how you are powering your camera and VTx. Is wire #20 both power and ground? That part of the graphic is a little confusing.

I hope this is useful.
-Todd
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old May 02, 2012, 11:18 PM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Crumpled this is a well made and easy to read graphic.

Some observations:
  1. You might consider putting the BEC on the ESC side of the eLogger so it can read mAh for everything the main battery is supplying power to. If you are using a 3S main battery, you don't need to send power to the eLogger via BEC.
    You seem to be confusing the elogger backup cable with the BEC.. You would be correct in saying that the use of the battery backup cable is "not used" if you are using the "V4 elogger".. Where as with the V3 elogger the battery backup cable is "Recommended" using a 3s battery.. However,.. The BEC does not provide power to the elogger.! The BEC provides power to the Rx in case the elogger loses power.. The BEC bypasses the elogger..! Besides, the BEC is supplying 5 volts to the Rx not 12 volts.
    The power supplied by the main battery passes through the elogger and powers all the components in the plane.. Do we all agree with that?? So Therefore, this same power makes it's way to power the Rx!.. And since the BEC is connected to the Rx, the elogger will read any Mah consumed by the BEC through the Rx anyway!!

So there you have it..!! To use a BEC as intended, you would be by default, connecting "any" BEC to the ESC side of the elogger by connecting the BEC to an open channel on your Rx.. But you must power the BEC "before" or on the battery side of the elogger ...

2. You don't show your RC Rx in the graphic. You might consider showing it and also consider powering it via the BEC. Wire #17 would go the your RC Rx. Also consider showing the 'Y' cable between the RC Rx, eLogger, and OSD.
  3. The OSD only reads mono audio input and I believe it is the right audio channel. Consider only using wires #5 and #15 into the Audio in/out on the OSD.
  4. You will need the Aux. connection for on screen menus. Unfortunately, there are some functions that can only be accessed by the on screen menus, not the Windows software.
  5. I can't see how you are powering your camera and VTx. Is wire #20 both power and ground? That part of the graphic is a little confusing.

I hope this is useful.
-Todd
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; May 03, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Aug 2008
20 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses, so to summarise my understanding so far...

I had forgotten about power to rx, and I think your advising that the BEC should go straight to the rx to give me a fallback on control if I lose power to from the main 3s somewhere in the spagetti. No need to split this (Y) to the v4 eLogger as well? Presumably I still need to snip the power wire on connection #16?

When you mention the BEC tapping of the ESC side rather than the BATT side #18 did you mean the probe #19? I had assumed the BEC should be tapped off before any other component to safeguard agains a similar spagetti failure.

I will redraw and include the rx as you suggest.

Audio, thanks, I hadn't picked up that the only using the right audio channel so will amend #5 to attach where #6 currently sitts, then lose #6 entirely.

In terms of video power, the FS TX appears to put +5v out on wire #8, to keep the cabling tidy I had planned to pass the +5v through the OSD #8 on the video red pin with the shared ground #9 on the black. I had assumed I could pick these up on the out side #10 and #14. Should I just bypass the OSD and make these connections direct between FS TX and FS CAM?

#20 is the 3p balance lead, this plugs straight into the supplied FS socket, was being lazy so didn't show all three wires

I'll work on a revamped diagram and repost it later tonight. Thanks for your interst and help so far. Cheers.

Harry
Last edited by Crumpled; May 03, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Aug 2008
20 Posts
...and I've just realised the FS TX and FS Camera are shown the wrong way round entering and leaving the OSD, , will correect as part of the diagram repost later.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:05 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
I have a "what If" scenario for you.. (This "what if" scenario actually happened to me..)

I had been flying one day and on one particular flight I came in a bit too hot and had a really hard landing.. I didn't think much of it, so after a short break I went for another flight.. I had reached an elevation of about 700 ft and was out about 900 ft out when I lost video !!.. Being a newbie to FPV I of course panicked!... I was still able see my plane LOS, so I flew it home without the use of RTH..
I landed the plane and upon further inspection I found that the deans connector going into my elogger from my flight battery was not seated all the way in, the connection was not 100%.. intermittent at best. Therefore losing my OSD... But I still had power to the rx, and thereby power to my servos only because I had my CC BEC connected to the battery cable "feeding" the elogger!!

In your diagram you have the BEC installed "after the elogger" What if what happened to me happened to you?? You would have no power to your elogger. no power to your BEC, therefore no power to your Rx... Your plane would crash..!

See diagram in the pic...
Notice where the BEC gets it's power?. .directly from the power cable.. In our case, the "power in" or battery side to the elogger....

If all else fails.. you need to keep power to the Rx via a BEC (as the diagram shows..) so that you can maintain control of your plane if for some reason Sh..&^#..t hits the fan and you lose power to your beloved ET equipment!!

Whatever the reason was for installing your BEC as you did is certainly not worth the risk of crashing.. or worse yet.. A lost model..!
I should know... I've had my share of crashes.. and especially suffering from a complete and total loss of a fully loaded FPV model..
The problem with wiring it this way is that the total ma used would be incorrect because the radio system draw won't be included.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old May 03, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
20 Posts
here is the updated version. I've tweeked it and moved things around a little to get it all to fit. Main RX and servos now shown. Redirected the BEC direct to the RX, I have also added a third probe so now trying to sample both sides of the eLogger on both Battery and ESC. The third to the Video power. I've taken the RX Aux1 to the OSD Aux 1 and reduced the original duel audio feeds to just use the right audio as suggested earlier. Finally I've reversed the Video TX and Camera which were the wrong way around passing through the OSD

Name: FPV3.jpg
Views: 613
Size: 96.3 KB
Description:

I'd welcome any further comments before I go ahead and try it out

Cheers

Harry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update... All wired up as shown and tested, everything appears to be working fine. So now just need to fit it all into something....
Last edited by Crumpled; May 06, 2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: update
Old May 04, 2012, 05:13 AM
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Common ground

Hi
I've red manual several times and many posts about the wiring. The white wires at the OSD Pro and eLooger are physicaly connected to the common ground on both. White wire to the USB port ground, battery -, ESC - and similarly OSD Pro to it's ports. Now we have the common ground already, when we connect them togehter.
I'm looking for the simple information, what is the best way to make a safe ground bridge between them, as a basic act for the powering the rest.
I believe that's the reason why we have seen those burned white wires.
I would just put a thick ground wire between them as a basic bridge.
Maybe that's the reason to put Y cable to a Throttle input on eLogger.
Is that correct?
Thank you
CzechPilot is offline Find More Posts by CzechPilot