SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:30 PM
Gaithersburg, MD
Joined Aug 2007
37 Posts
Question
Shroud attachment position on mast

I am redoing my Victoria with two shrouds. How far up the mast is the most appropriate attachment point? I am using a Goodwinds, wrapped, carbon fiber mast, with essentially no bend. I am not using spreaders.

How far behind/ before/beside the mast step should the shroud attach to the deck?

Alan
alan_k is offline Find More Posts by alan_k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:59 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
300 Posts
Using jumpers Alan? The Vic is a fractional rig. Typically the uppers should exit the rig at the same point as where the head stay attaches to the rig (known as the "hounds" in big boats)I'm not fluent in Vic but I imagine it's in one of the class rules about the height of the head stay attachment point off the deck or some other class adopted datum point.

Attaching to the deck? The Vic has molded in plastic chain plates I believe. If your going with single shrouds, you would attach them to the forward most chain plate hole on the deck.

SJ
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Last edited by SailingJunkie; Jan 25, 2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Gaithersburg, MD
Joined Aug 2007
37 Posts
No jumpers.
alan_k is offline Find More Posts by alan_k
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
300 Posts
So it's still a fractional rig so where the class rules say the head stay attaches to the front of the mast. The upper section of the rig is unsupported but with the carbon mast, it should not matter much.

SJ
Old Today, 12:14 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
300 Posts
From the current Victoria Class rules.

The forestay and/or jib-stay must be attached to, or run through a fitting attached to the mast that is that no higher than 37 1/2 inches (952.5mm) measured from the adjacent deck surface along the mast face. If an attachment or standoff fitting is utilized, the attachment point shall not exceed 1/4 inch (6.4mm) from the front of the mast.