SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Discussion
Which Kv do you prefer?

Building myself a sport quad since I'm done crashing all the time. (Shoot! Why did I say that!) Currently running 1050Kv but I'd like to increase that to get some "spunk".

Thinking about 1200Kv and either 8" or 9" props. Any input from others?
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Last edited by mamba max1; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:04 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,078 Posts
i dont know if this is going to help you or not

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707156
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:42 AM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
if you're just wanting an aerobatic rig that isn't all too large, then sure 1200kv with some 8" props would probably do fine, so long as it's a light chassis (which would be preferred if it's intended to be aerobatic anyhow), but don't expect it to have much payload capacity
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
if you're just wanting an aerobatic rig that isn't all too large, then sure 1200kv with some 8" props would probably do fine, so long as it's a light chassis (which would be preferred if it's intended to be aerobatic anyhow), but don't expect it to have much payload capacity
Yeah, I'm just looking for performance. The frame I'll be using will be light. The quad i have now is good and fun, but I find myself wishing it had more in it.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
If you want some ideas, go watch some of Warthox videos. Like this one:
mwc quad // 1.2kw onboard (2 min 24 sec)

Roughly the same KV, but I believe it's running on 4S. Crazy speed and power in that one. The frame is light, the ESCs are most likely soldered directly to the motors (I've seen this on some of his quads) to cut down on weight, the ESCs are also small and probably operating right at their limit. He seems to use 10A ESCs a lot on his multi-rotors. I know he likes to use the 8" CF Reinforced Gemfan props on almost all his multis.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
And on a completely unrelated and random note, I'm at the international airport in Beijing. Wifi is free, but Vimeo, Youtube and Facebook are all banned. (I googled the video, then copied the URL) Can't open Hobbyking either. This won't cure my boredom. Screw you, China. Or the dude who set up the network. Might as well hook up the external HD and watch Jack Bauer kick some ass.

EDIT: Wow, can't even GOOGLE for 'Facebook', it won't let me. So glad I'm out of here in less than 3 hours.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
589 Posts
You have to thank the Australian owner of HK for putting in an IP block on HobbyKing against China and Hong Kong...... not the Chinese government!
dtm360 is online now Find More Posts by dtm360
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm360 View Post
You have to thank the Australian owner of HK for putting in an IP block on HobbyKing against China and Hong Kong...... not the Chinese government!
Either way, a lot of things are blocked. A LOT of things. It's bloody annoying. I board the plane in 20 mins, can't wait to get out of here and get back home where the government isn't shlt.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
If you want some ideas, go watch some of Warthox videos.
Roughly the same KV, but I believe it's running on 4S. Crazy speed and power in that one. The frame is light, the ESCs are most likely soldered directly to the motors (I've seen this on some of his quads) to cut down on weight, the ESCs are also small and probably operating right at their limit. He seems to use 10A ESCs a lot on his multi-rotors. I know he likes to use the 8" CF Reinforced Gemfan props on almost all his multis.
Thanks. I was thinking 1200 cause of warthox. Not ready for 4s yet though! Want to work my way up one step at a time. Flips are becoming second nature to me now, but the in motion flips and combinations require more power than my current quad can supply to be performed sharply but still have power on reserve.