HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,770 Posts
FAQ
New Cobra Motor Question and Answer Thread

Hello Everyone!

This is Lucien from Innov8tive Designs, and I have been asked by a few of our customers to start a question and answer thread here on RC Groups, similar to the one that have had for the Scorpion motors for the past few years.

In this thread we will take questions about the operation and application of the new line of Cobra Motors that we now have in stock on our website at www.innov8tivedesigns.com .

Helping me out on this thread as co-moderator will be Randy Moody, owner of RC Dude Hobbies. Randy has been very helpful in his support of the Scorpion motors in the past, and will be offering his advice and information concerning the installation and use of the new Cobra motors.

We will be getting a complete matching line of Speed Controllers to go with the Cobra motors in about 4-6 weeks or so, and as soon as they are available, we will post a notice here.

The Cobra motos are designed to be a high quality sport motor that will give many years of reliable service. They come backed with a 2-year factory warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. The motors come packaged with a complete hardware kit, and replacement parts will be available.

The Cobra motors are currently available in 4 different stator sizes, 22mm, 28mm, 35mm and 41mm. THere are several models in each size and there are currently over 50 different models in stock and available, with more sizes coming soon.

Here is a sample of what the motors look like. Except for the smaller 2202, 2203 and 2204 indoor type motors, which have pre-tinned wire leads, all of the motors come with bullet connectors already installed.

The motors come packaged in a nice padded box as seen here.

Inside the box, a custom die-cut foam liner protects the motor and accessories from damage during shipping. The cross mount fits into the slot at the right end of the box, and a foam divider seperates teh motor from the bag of hardware parts as seen in this photo below.

Each motor cones with a complete hardware package. Here is what you typically get with each motor: A cross mount with mounting screws, a bolt-on type prop adapter, a shaft retaining collar with set-screw and a matching set of female bullet connectors with heat shrink tubing.

That is all for now, so if you have any questions about this new line of motors, please post them here and either Randy or I will do our best to answer them for you.

Thanks!

Lucien Miller

Innov8tive Designs
Innov8tive is offline Find More Posts by Innov8tive
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:42 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,966 Posts
Why don't you get your own vendor section like Don's and Hacker and Neu instead of trashing up the discussion page? Can't cost that much more.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:06 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,049 Posts
Hi Lucien
Humour ON
With Scorpion & Cobra you have two agressive and venomous animals !!
Louis
Fourdan is online now Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:52 PM
" I only fly Davebuilt"
north county san diego
Joined Jan 2011
266 Posts
No negativity

[QUOTE=Gohmer;18707886]Why don't you get your own vendor section like Don's and Hacker and Neu instead of trashing up the discussion page? Can't cost that much more.

Gohmer. ...."Don't go away mad...just go away"
wrjames38 is offline Find More Posts by wrjames38
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:38 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,413 Posts
Lucien and Randy are my two primary sources - good info to follow, I am sure
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,696 Posts
Hi,

I willing to give these new motors a try. Would you please post which Cobra motors are equal to the following E-Flight motors?

Park 450
Park 480
Power 10
Power 15
Power 25
Power 32
Power 46

Thanks!

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
United States, NV, Mesquite
Joined Aug 2004
878 Posts
Co-moderator

Hello everybody! As Lucien mentioned I'll be co-moderating this thread to help answer some of the more common questions. I'm pretty impressed with the Cobra brand. I've been using them myself for a couple months now and the feedback from customers has been very positive as well. One of the best things about the Cobra motors are the detailed prop charts that Lucien creates. Those prop charts take all the mystery out of motor selection and really let you know exactly what kind of performance you're going to get in the real world. There can still be plenty of questions though so here's your place to get some answers.

I'll be starting a "Cobra Powered Models" webpage soon like I did for the Scorpion motors. This is a great resource for other modelers so they can see examples of successful power systems in various planes - perhaps the same one they are building. If you have a Cobra powered model you would like to share with the rest of the world please send me a PM here on RCG or email me directly using randy@rcdude.com and I'll get it posted. I like to publish the full setup so you can see all the other items used in the aircraft and actual wattmeter measurements are a big plus. Take a look at the Scorpion Powered Models webpage if you would like to see the format and information I post.

Here is the first Cobra powered model I've built. It's an X8 on a 550mm HoverThings frame and uses 8 Cobra 2217/16 motors on 3S lipo and GWS 10x6 3-blade props. This will be the first model to be posted on the Cobra Powered Models webpage.

ramovan is offline Find More Posts by ramovan
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined Aug 2004
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi,

I willing to give these new motors a try. Would you please post which Cobra motors are equal to the following E-Flight motors?

Park 450
Park 480
Power 10
Power 15
Power 25
Power 32
Power 46

Thanks!
Mickydee
This is really 7 questions and points out that a brand comparison cross-reference chart would be a very useful tool for the Cobra motors. I'm starting to come up with a list that I believe would be the best alternatives for the E-flite motors you mentioned but I'd like to bounce these off Lucien before making any recommendations. Do you have a particular E-flite motor or airplane you would like to replace or power now? Perhaps we can look at that one first and come up with a solution.

Randy
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Aug 2001
2,696 Posts
Hi,

I have a E-Flight Advance 25E powered with a E-Flight 25E motor on 3S 3300 with an APC 11X10 prop. Performance on a 12" prop and 3S was ok, but a little slow for my taste. The 11X10E is better. Guys going to 4S and a Power 32 report balance problems and have to put weight in the tail.

How about a Cobra motor that can do maybe 15% better than the 25E on 3S and the 11X10E, and for about the same amps?

Thanks! Mickydee
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:36 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,864 Posts
Looking for a motor for my wing under 60 grams and 600+watts.
I will be using a 6x4 apc prop and ice 50.
Using 3s1p 2200 lipos in the 30 to 50 c rate.
Not looking for super fast just 110 ish.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Last edited by eckace1; Jul 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added lipo stats thought it might help
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Aug 2004
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi,

I have a E-Flight Advance 25E powered with a E-Flight 25E motor on 3S 3300 with an APC 11X10 prop. Performance on a 12" prop and 3S was ok, but a little slow for my taste. The 11X10E is better. Guys going to 4S and a Power 32 report balance problems and have to put weight in the tail.

How about a Cobra motor that can do maybe 15% better than the 25E on 3S and the 11X10E, and for about the same amps?

Thanks! Mickydee
Really if you want more power it's going to take more amps or volts to achieve more power (watts). So you can either increase the number of amps you pull or increase the voltage you feed it by going from a 3S setup to a 4S. If you want to live within the means of your ESC then you are somewhat limited in what you can do. You didn't specify what ESC you are using so I don't know what limitation is. If you upgraded to a 4S setup you may still be able to use your same ESC but you'll need to change to a 4S battery. So the question is, as you look for a motor, which would you rather replace, the lipo or the ESC? Or do you want to live within those limitations and can't upgrade either one?

If you wanted to make the most of a 3S setup with the battery you already have then something like the Cobra 3515/12 would work really well. On the APC 11x10 prop you said you liked that will pull a bit more than 45A and put out almost 68oz of thrust with a pitch speed of 67mph, and a total of 500 watts. Assuming worst-case that model came in overweight at 4lbs that would mean a pretty robust thrust-to-weight ratio slightly over 1:1 and 125 watts per/lb. This all puts you just into the yellow on the prop chart so this would defintely be max performance on 3S for this motor. This setup is also configuring the motor right at it max continuous amps and watt rating so you would want to exercise some caution.

Now you could go with more or less power than this, but hopefully this will give you a baseline to start any further discussion. I don't know your current power level numbers but my gut tells me this would be a good boost in power from your current Power-25. If you like let me know your ESC rating and if you want to consider the 4S option. I could come up with a 4S recommendation for you to consider.

Randy
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:27 AM
Joined Aug 2001
2,696 Posts
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the info. I'm using a Pentium 40 amp speed controller. I don't mind going to a higher rated speed controller, but I want to avoid 4S and a heavier motor because I don't want to have to add weight to the tail.

I will look into your suggestion for the Cobra on 3S.

Thanks! Mickydee

P.S. I hope you guys get around to doing a comparison chart. Those are really helpful.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:00 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Looking for a motor for my wing under 60 grams and 600+watts.
I will be using a 6x4 apc prop and ice 50.
Using 3s1p 2200 lipos in the 30 to 50 c rate.
Not looking for super fast just 110 ish.
Hi Eckace
600W+ and motor 60g means: 10W+ per gram ratio
You need a good cooling or small time duration
Louis
Fourdan is online now Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:37 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
11,073 Posts
@Randy & Lucien
Cobra kits?