HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:05 AM
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King (UK) Illegal returns policy

So as with many big online retailers, HK is blatantly flouting UK sale of goods act law.

I bought 6 motors for my hexacopter, every one of which has destroyed its bearings in under 30 minutes use (see http://youtu.be/Kl1ejz-wMdw)

After 2 weeks of being messed about, they have asked me to send them back the UK distributor (no problem, as i expected)

However I then find out that HK will not cover return postage - which they are required to do under UK law - a consumer should not be "out of pocket" due to a defective or "not as described" item.

Their policy at:
http://support.hobbyking.com/hc/en-u...shipping-cost-

According to trading standards, is "an attempt to restrict statutory rights"

I am not moaning about paying 6 to return them, before someone jumps in and calls me a cheapskate, it is the principal (and the law)
Smegmium is offline Find More Posts by Smegmium
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:19 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
I'm not sure about how the law works as far as sending goods back to HK UK but for the sake of 6 and getting the motors replaced sounds like a good deal to me,but i do get what your saying about it's the principle and the law,how ever i've been buying my RC gear off of HK for well over 8 years now and i tend to find they are the cheapest in the game and with most of what i and others need all under one roof so to speak,what i'm getting at here is for the sake of a few quid return postage isn't that much when you think of how much you save in the long run,i'd rather pay the return postage if i had to rather than paying double for the same product off of another UK vendor and get free return shipping,by the way some UK vendors also try to get us to pay for returned items too,just saying.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
"A good deal"?? What is wrong with you?? You have completely missed the point - lets say you bought 6 motors, every one of them failed on the first day you used them, basically defective out of the box. you wouldnt be happy.
THEN they turn around and say that you have to pay for the return. (and it is a HK product, not another vendor)

Why should you be out of pocket because of a defective product?

There is no way i want them replaced with the same motors, if ONE went down then yes, general failure, but ALL of them means a bad batch, or sub-standard bearings.

If i wanted to return something because i had changed my mind, then fair enough, i should pay the return, its my problem.
Smegmium is offline Find More Posts by Smegmium
Last edited by Smegmium; Oct 13, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:00 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,028 Posts
FWIW
https://www.google.com/search?q=NTM+...fox&channel=sb

PM Rob about your problem here.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 14, 2014, 03:46 PM
United Kingdom, Driffield
Joined May 2014
66 Posts
Smegmium
"HK is blatantly flouting UK sale of goods act law."

Unfortunately your transaction takes place in Asia, so Hobby King are not subject to UK law. If the transaction took place in the UK then you would be correct.
Rob may be able to do something for you
mick11 is online now Find More Posts by mick11
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:56 AM
Bobbybrown
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
I'm not sure about how the law works as far as sending goods back to HK UK but for the sake of 6 and getting the motors replaced sounds like a good deal to me,but i do get what your saying about it's the principle and the law,how ever i've been buying my RC gear off of HK for well over 8 years now and i tend to find they are the cheapest in the game and with most of what i and others need all under one roof so to speak,what i'm getting at here is for the sake of a few quid return postage isn't that much when you think of how much you save in the long run,i'd rather pay the return postage if i had to rather than paying double for the same product off of another UK vendor and get free return shipping,by the way some UK vendors also try to get us to pay for returned items too,just saying.
Your comment about being the cheapest in the game is only right if everything works as it should. Once you pay shipping both ways it seems to me they are no longer cheap. Afraid I must agree with Smegmium on this one.
Bobybrown is offline Find More Posts by Bobybrown
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:44 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
519 Posts
You buy from hobbyking BECAUSE THE GOODS ARE CHEAP
so dont be too surprised when cheap motors fail.

but..
I'm guessing you bough from HK UK, so the local laws apply.
We have consumer protection laws in NZ as well.
The big issue is the laws are never enforced. So why even have them ? We have major NZ retailers blatantly lying to customers about consumer protection laws.
Its not just a Hobbyking issue. Put in some real fines for trying to evade consumer protection laws & things would change
pretty quickly.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Last edited by 1101; Oct 18, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:26 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobybrown View Post
Your comment about being the cheapest in the game is only right if everything works as it should. Once you pay shipping both ways it seems to me they are no longer cheap. Afraid I must agree with Smegmium on this one.
You can agree with who you like mate as it's no skin off my back but i know i get a better deal off of HK than i do anyone else,if you find an online RC store that stock as much as HK does and are as cheap as them why don't we all use them? i know because there isn't and HK are the cheapest and it's as simple as that i'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
You buy from hobbyking BECAUSE THE GOODS ARE CHEAP
so dont be too surprised when cheap motors fail.

but..
I'm guessing you bough from HK UK, so the local laws apply.
We have consumer protection laws in NZ as well.
The big issue is the laws are never enforced. So why even have them ? We have major NZ retailers blatantly lying to customers about consumer protection laws.
Its not just a Hobbyking issue. Put in some real fines for trying to evade consumer protection laws & things would change
pretty quickly.
As far as him buying the goods from HK UK is right but the trans action took place in Hong Kong,meaning he paid for his goods in Hong Kong so there fore UK laws don't apply,read Mick11's reply as he worded it a lot better that i can.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Oct 24, 2014, 02:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
You can agree with who you like mate as it's no skin off my back but i know i get a better deal off of HK than i do anyone else,if you find an online RC store that stock as much as HK does and are as cheap as them why don't we all use them? i know because there isn't and HK are the cheapest and it's as simple as that i'm afraid.

As far as him buying the goods from HK UK is right but the trans action took place in Hong Kong,meaning he paid for his goods in Hong Kong so there fore UK laws don't apply,read Mick11's reply as he worded it a lot better that i can.
I'm afraid both yourself and Mick are wrong on that one
The goods are located in the UK and sold from the UK and are therefore covered by the UK sale of goods act as wel as numerous other UK and EU regulations

Why do you think it is that up until very recently HK have not sold transmitters from the UK warehouse ?
It's because before now they did not comply with ofcom regulations, so even though the money is taken in Hong Kong the goods are still being sold in the UK

When you use your debit/credit card do you really think the transaction actually takes place in the UK with some little elves physically moving the money from your private money box to someone else's or do you think it takes place globally in foreign lands electronically ?

I'm afraid HK UK are subject to all the same EU/UK laws that any other trader selling here is
The goods are here and have been imported by Hobbyking, if they were held in a bonded warehouse where they have not yet officially entred the UK then some other laws may apply but they aren't, they are here already imported for sale in the UK
Not to worry though as Paypal will enforce the UK regs rigorously for you
Dogdude is online now Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Oct 24, 2014, 05:31 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,169 Posts
Yes, but when you and everyone else buys anything from HobbyKing, there is a little box we all have to tick before anything will go through. And that is the little box that says "YOU agree to the terms set out buy HK".
Buy ticking that box you are then to abide buy there rules that they have set out, there by waiving all local laws!!
It's the same thing when you (this is an example) hire a jet ski from a jet ski hire company. You have to sign a waiver to say you will abide buy their rules, and if you don't, you have no recourse if you have an accident!
So, maybe next time you should either read HK's terms and conditions. If you don't like them, don't tick the box, and see what happens!!
Guess what?? You can't buy the items you want!
So buy ticking that little box, you are waiving your local laws and abiding buy HK's rule!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Oct 24, 2014, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Yes, but when you and everyone else buys anything from HobbyKing, there is a little box we all have to tick before anything will go through. And that is the little box that says "YOU agree to the terms set out buy HK".
Buy ticking that box you are then to abide buy there rules that they have set out, there by waiving all local laws!!
It's the same thing when you (this is an example) hire a jet ski from a jet ski hire company. You have to sign a waiver to say you will abide buy their rules, and if you don't, you have no recourse if you have an accident!
So, maybe next time you should either read HK's terms and conditions. If you don't like them, don't tick the box, and see what happens!!
Guess what?? You can't buy the items you want!
So buy ticking that little box, you are waiving your local laws and abiding buy HK's rule!!

LURCH

Wrong again I'm afraid
Here in the civilised world we have laws which cannot be waived by signs stickers or tick boxes
We have systems which enforce fair trading practices no matter what.
For example the distance selling regulations cannot be opted out of no matter what conditions a seller applies and no matter what tick boxes are ticked, they are there to protect individuals from unscrupulous traders and their unfair terms

That way a consumer within the UK/EU does get to buy what is advertised and they get to buy it under fair terms and conditions

Maybe next time you should wind your neck in when trying to educate people about consumers laws in their own country otherwise you may end up looking like a fool
Dogdude is online now Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
United Kingdom, Driffield
Joined May 2014
66 Posts
Think you should have a look at our consumer laws, they relate to goods sold in the UK/EU
HK do not sell anything in the UK. They maintain a warehouse that just distributes goods ordered and paid for in Hong Kong. Quite different from ordering and paying for goods in the UK when of course our consumer laws would apply.
mick11 is online now Find More Posts by mick11