HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:28 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
470 Posts
Discussion
RCMPlans.com Closed down

I happened to be posting in another thread and saw that someone mention the domain name of RCMPlans.com was up for sale.

It's too bad that someone decided to be a jerk and screw the rest of us out of this once great resource.

I happened to have both RCM plans guides which cover all the RCM published plans from 1963 to June of 1991. I also happen to have saved a complete copy of the RCM websites magazine index of Articles in Html format and several of the free PDF articles as well as about fifty of the RCM magazines I purchased outright. I was planning to save the free articles just never got the chance to sit down and do it.

Now that the website is finally defunct maybe someone to figure out a way to share this resource for all in the future. I would be willing to share what I have if there's a way to play it forward in perpetuity.

Bryan
Roguedog is online now Find More Posts by Roguedog
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:50 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguedog View Post
I happened to be posting in another thread and saw that someone mention the domain name of RCMPlans.com was up for sale.

It's too bad that someone decided to be a jerk and screw the rest of us out of this once great resource.

Bryan
Never mind the fact that RCM Plans has stolen the money of hundreds of people.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:34 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,848 Posts
Not just RCM.
Carstens just went out of business, taking with them hundreds or maybe thousands of customers' money for subscriptions and plans paid for but not yet sent out.
They have a cache of wonderful plans spanning decades that are now locked up and unavailable. And no idea if any of those customers will ever see a cent back...including me.
If Flying Models magazine is restarted through a different publishing company, I seriously doubt if they even acknowledge the money that customers have paid, which will result in a lot of pissed off customers.

I am growing concerned that support for our building hobby is evaporating.
Despite our best efforts, designing new plans and kits, and a new building revolution, the market seems to slowly be reacting to the ARF end of the hobby, relentlessly.
Balsa is getting more expensive. Silkspan and traditional dope is getting harder to find. Plans services are disappearing. Outerzone is one of the old hold-outs, and hopefully they never disappear. The Plans Page is now gone, I've noticed.
Even support for the 72MHz radio systems is drying up.
This is terrible.

And to top it all off, the FAA under the current administration is attacking our hobby, against the direction of Congress.
And none of it makes any sense.
What are we going to have to do in the next 20 or 30 years? Leave the USA to pursue the hobby?
I don't think it will continue getting as bad as it's getting. It can't, or they're going to end up completely extinguishing the hobby in this country.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:43 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,341 Posts
Balsa may be getting to be more expensive because it is used in large amounts in building the big wind turbine blades.

I don't agree about kits. There are plenty of short kits being offered by small businesses, many who participate here on RCG. Just not much die crushed kits anymore, which is OK with me. They were all "cookie cutter" in more ways than one anyways. I think this segment will be OK for a while.

A business like Carsten's (specifically the owner), and not to mention RCMPlans, has a moral obligation, if not a legal right, to make right to their customers. That subscription card is a contract, nowhere on there does it say "you might only receive 2 or 3 issues out of the 12 you paid for". For the owner to just pull the plug on a struggling business while holding lots of peoples' money in the form of subscriptions (not just Flying Models but also Model Railroad Craftsman which may have had a larger circulation) and maybe plan sales as well, is rotten. He should have made known months ago that he is looking for someone to buy his publications business. His magazine subscriptions weren't exactly cheap for the few number of pages per issue.

And the FAA/executive branch has already shown that they have no concern about going after far larger and more important domestic industries than model aviation, destroying tens of thousands of jobs, so why would they care about a thousand or two jobs in the model aviation or FPV business segment?
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:19 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,903 Posts
Quote:
The Plans Page is now gone, I've noticed.
It hasn't been updated in a long, long time, but it's still there at:

http://www.theplanpage.com/

You may have been putting an "s" in after "plan" when there isn't one.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:39 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,848 Posts
Oh, well that's good at least.

And jonquinn, you are absolutely right.
Thayer was saying he is hoping they can honor the subscriptions of the hundreds or maybe thousands of subscribers left in the lurch with the new owner. But he can't guarantee that.
No one can. Whoever becomes the new owner of the three affected magazines is not under any legal obligation to honor old contracts, and may well change the name of the magazines so as not to imply they are in any way responsible.
In other words, I think we are all just simply screwed.
One thing's for sure. If FM is brought back with its original title and they don't honor the existing subscriptions, there are a whole lot of people that will be either too pissed off or too wary to trust them with their money ever again.
You may be right that by not announcing their intentions to take our money and run, they may end up with legal troubles as a result. I hope it doesn't come down to it, but there does seem to be a case.

I've never wished anything bad on Flying Models, I respected them for avoiding the temptation to ARF everything like everyone else did.
But taking the money and running without warning leaves a sour taste in my mouth, personally.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:19 PM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Never mind the fact that RCM Plans has stolen the money of hundreds of people.
Yes. They ripped off a lot of people including someone that tried to buy them out. Not to sure about the details for that. Something about $15000 and credit cards.

I purchased plans when the website was rcmmagazine.com shipping was slow but got my plans in 2 months. Seems the problems started after the website name change to RCMplans.com.

One of the things I liked about the site is they had pdf's of a lot of the most requested articles that were free. That resource is gone now.

One guy just recently was asking for the article that showed how to build a custom cowl give for the Goldberg Tiger or Four Star 60. Lucky for him I downloaded it a long while back so I could have a personal copy. I normally would have pointed him to the webpage. Can't do that now.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:28 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
But taking the money and running without warning leaves a sour taste in my mouth, personally.
I've been a subscriber since the mid-70's. I'm personal friends with the three last editors and several of the associate editors, and had a good conversation with the owner just a couple weeks ago when I was in town.

Carstens is not like that. If there's any way possible, they'll make it good.

I was a subscriber to Model Builder when it went down, with RC Boat Modeler when it died, and others. In every case, they worked very hard not to betray the trust of the subscribers.

I fully trust that Carstens will work hard to keep us all satisfied. No, there is no guarantee, but they are people of character.

Be patient; give them time.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:57 PM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
470 Posts
Quote:
Not just RCM.
Carstens just went out of business, taking with them hundreds or maybe thousands of customers' money for subscriptions and plans paid for but not yet sent out.
They have a cache of wonderful plans spanning decades that are now locked up and unavailable. And no idea if any of those customers will ever see a cent back...including me.
RC Modeler Magazine did the same thing when they closed. Left people hanging that purchased a full years subscription.

Quote:
I am growing concerned that support for our building hobby is evaporating.
Despite our best efforts, designing new plans and kits, and a new building revolution, the market seems to slowly be reacting to the ARF end of the hobby, relentlessly.
It's all marketing and cheap Chinese labor. After flying an eflite spitfire that I won from a drawing I swore off foamys of that type. Worst flying plane I ever had. It was a chore to keep it flying. I've noticed that there are not a lot of 60 sized ARFs out there. Most are 50size and below or 120 sized and above. Low cost for the smaller sized and for the larger sized well the skys the limit. Not much in between

Quote:
Balsa is getting more expensive. Silkspan and traditional dope is getting harder to find. Plans services are disappearing.Outerzone is one of the old hold-outs, and hopefully they never disappear. The Plans Page is now gone, I've noticed.
Even support for the 72MHz radio systems is drying up.
This is terrible.

And to top it all off, the FAA under the current administration is attacking our hobby, against the direction of Congress.
And none of it makes any sense.
One thing about Capitalism I like is when there's a void or demand someone finds a way to fill it and Capitalize on it.

I recently when to Aircraft Spruce and purchased several 2 x 4 x 36" long blocks of balsa to save cost on buying the thicker planks like 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. I'll just use my bandsaw to rip cut what I need. It's a little more work but does save me a few dollars.

The Outerzone and HipPocket Aeronautics Plans Page sites have stepped in to offer plans in digital format. This is a great alternative to plans services as you download the plan onto a thumb drive then go to Staples to get your plan printed for less than $6 most of the time.

There's only one or two people at my club out of 130 that use 72MHz. The 2.4Ghz stuff so far for me has been a good thing. No more waiting in line to get access to 1 of 50 channels so that's not an issue.

The FPV and multirotors issue totally bewilders me. Using $250,000 of AMA money to support this is ridiculous and pits the AMA against the FAA which in this case could cause harm to the hobby.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:38 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,848 Posts
There is a lot more to the FAA issue than the AMA wanting to support the multi-rotor FPVs.
A few things I have heard:

If you are a licensed pilot of full scale aircraft, and you are cited for an incident involving a model airplane, you could lose your license. Incredible...the FAA is considering model airplanes to be the same as real full-scale, piloted aircraft, subjected to all the regulations the FAA holds authority over.

If you design and market a plane, you are not allowed to fly the same plane you designed, unless you possess a pilots license.
It's only a model airplane for goodness sakes.
So, you design and build a rubber powered FF (or something else), the design gets purchased by some model kit manufacturer for production, and you go out to the park and test the model...you can get arrested technically for not having a private pilots license???

This is going off on a tangent to the original intent of this thread, but you get the idea.
This is what the AMA is battling.
Congress already limited the FAA from putting model airplanes under the same rules as full-scale piloted aircraft. But the FAA is disregarding that direction and making their own rules.
Expect this to land in the Supreme Court eventually.