HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:44 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,263 Posts
Mini-HowTo
er9x/open9x tutorial thread

Here's some tutorials and videos discussing the er9x and open9x that runs on Turnigy 9xr and 9x radios. Emphasis is on using the software, not on hardware mods/question for the various radios.

Update: The FrSky Tarantis uses OpenTx, which is in the same family of software. It's very similar in the mixing, so this should be good to get started with Tarantis.

Tutorials so far:

What data cable do you need to connect the 9xr to your computer?

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...ing-cable.html

er9x setup and calibration -- what you should do before setting up your models.

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...libration.html

er9x mixing tutorial -- understand 9x mixing, and you'll have a good experience with an er9x radio.

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...r-turnigy.html

er9x: uploading/updating the firmware

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...-firmware.html

er9x: elevon mixing

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...rnigy-9xr.html

more to come...

Feel free to ask questions, suggest topics, provide answers...
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Last edited by marhar; Apr 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:44 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,263 Posts
Taranis-Specific Videos

Quick Unboxing and Overview:
http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...-overview.html

Taranis Elevon Mixing:

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2013/...on-mixing.html
Last edited by marhar; Sep 22, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:48 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,263 Posts
((more reserved))
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:48 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,263 Posts
(reserved 3)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:23 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Ill stay tuned - Seems a bit messy as my Tx is still somewhere on its way and have been fiddling with the Companion and all the unfamiliar abbreviations...
numnutchris is online now Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:25 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,167 Posts
I just got an ER9X and would be setting it up for my 450 helicopter. I read up but could not truly understand how to do adjust the the following:

With the pitch curve set to "0, 0, 0, 0, 0", how to get that pitch curve reflect 0 degrees of actual pitch?
+/- 10 degrees of collective pitch range; and
+/- 7 degrees of cyclic pitch range

On another TX, I do this via "swash mixes". How do I configure the above on ER9X? Thanks!
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Last edited by FyreSG; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Feel free to ask questions, suggest topics, provide answers...
A tutorial on how to install and use the programmer would be helpful, including how to install the USBasp-win-driver-x86-x64-ia64-v1.2.4. In that regard, the included Read Me is gibberish to me (only average intelligence):

QUOTE:

libusb-win32-bin v1.2.4.0 (04/08/2011) - [Package Information]

ALL ARCHITECTURES:
x86\libusb0_x86.dll: x86 32-bit library. Must be renamed to libusb0.dll
On 64 bit, Installs to Windows\syswow64\libusb0.dll.
On 32 bit, Installs to Windows\system32\libusb0.dll.

x86\inf-wizard.exe: inf-wizard application with embedded libusb-win32
v1.2.4.0 binaries.

X86 ONLY ARCHITECTURES:
x86\libusb0.sys: x86 32-bit driver.
Installs to Windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys

AMD64-INTEL64 ONLY ARCHITECTURES:
amd64\libusb0.sys: x64 64-bit driver.

amd64\libusb0.dll: x64 64-bit library.
Installs to Windows\system32\libusb0.dll

IA64 ONLY ARCHITECTURES:
ia64\libusb0.sys: IA64 64-bit driver.

ia64\libusb0.dll: IA64 64-bit library.
Installs to Windows\system32\libusb0.dll

UNQUOTE

Not sure if the above is info or telling me something I should do (like renaming a dll).

At any rate, I certainly appreciate your videos in the 9xr thread!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:59 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
A tutorial on how to install and use the programmer would be helpful, including how to install the USBasp-win-driver-x86-x64-ia64-v1.2.4.
I haven't gotten my transmitter or USBasp/cable adapter thingy ..... but there is a vid on how to do that. I haven't watched it yet because I have no time but here's the description and vid below....

Published on Jan 27, 2013
"This video will run you through the process of updating the firmware of your 9xr Radio including uploading your Model Data etc. I've also included part of a previous video that will run you though the tricky process of install the AVR Programmer Drivers"

HK Turnigy 9XR Firmware update to er9x with eePe - AVR Installation (16 min 3 sec)
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:37 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
... here's the description and vid below ....
Great! I somehow missed that excellent video.

Thanks much.

Gene K
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:30 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,263 Posts
new tutorial uploaded...

Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:05 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,072 Posts
9xr-reset switches?

thank you very much for the terrific input.
i am still in the process of learning the basics on making it to do what i need for basic programming.
regarding the calibration, from the moment i got it and plugged in the pack, it showed: 'throttle not idle, reset throttle', and when trying to calibrate, the position of the throttle shown was at the center, even if the stick was down. so far, after many times trying, and following instructions, i have been able to get rid of the 'throttle not idle', and it shows the throttle position where it really is, but still tells me to reset throttle. as i have the throttle down before start, it still says: 'alert; switch warning; please reset switches'; 'press any key to skip'.
the exact sequence that i follow is as per the instructions in the er9x users guide:
1.-press menu
2.-set sticks to center (including throttle and pots)
3.-press menu>(setspan)
4.-move sticks and pots through full range
5.-press menu>done-values are saved here.
by the way, as i said, am using the instructions of the er9x, as i have been comparing them with the stock 9xr instructions and seem identical.
it is my understanding that they are the same for the stock 9xr but am not sure if this is right. are they what works for the stock 9xr? maybe that's why am not getting it right?
and, i was under the impression that the stock 9xr has the er9x already installed, but now i see that you have a tutorial to install it. please enlighten me. at the 1st post you say: 'Here's some tutorials and videos discussing the er9x and open9x that runs on Turnigy 9xr and 9x radios'. does that mean that they are already installed?
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 04, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:10 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
regarding the calibration, from the moment i got it and plugged in the pack, it showed: 'throttle not idle, reset throttle', and when trying to calibrate, the position of the throttle shown was at the center, even if the stick was down. so far, after many times trying, and following instructions, i have been able to get rid of the 'throttle not idle', and it shows the throttle position where it really is, but still tells me to reset throttle. as i have the throttle down before start, it still says: 'alert; switch warning; please reset switches'; 'press any key to skip'.

by the way, as i said, am using the instructions of the er9x, as i have been comparing them with the stock 9xr instructions and seem identical.
it is my understanding that they are the same for the stock 9xr but am not sure if this is right. are they what works for the stock 9xr? maybe that's why am not getting it right?
and, i was under the impression that the stock 9xr has the er9x already installed, but now i see that you have a tutorial to install it. please enlighten me. at the 1st post you say: 'Here's some tutorials and videos discussing the er9x and open9x that runs on Turnigy 9xr and 9x radios'. does that mean that they are already installed?
thanks
The installed 9XR firmware is simply a slightly modified version of ER9x firmware. The firmware that comes with the 9XR works fine, but there are some advantages to upgrading to a more recent version of ER9X or to Open9X. In particular, you can then use either eepe or Companion 9x to do your programming on a computer and to store additional models, etc.

I would stress that for many purposes, there is absolutely no need to upgrade, as long as you are OK with programming on the transmitter. Unless there are particular capabilities that you need and that are not available in the existing firmware, I would suggest not worrying about upgrades, at least until you are thoroughly familiar with the transmitter.

The reason the instructions seem identical is that HobbyKing simply copied those available for ER9X and only made a few changes to reflect the slight differences in menus, etc.

With respect to the issue of warnings and stick calibration, one easy approach is to turn off the warnings! I find them helpful but some people don't like them.

Stick calibration is exactly the same for the 9XR as for ER9X or Open9X (and for a 9x transmitter). The usual problem people encounter is caused by the way in which they move the stick while calibrating. Don't push them hard against the limits but just move gently to the end of travel in each direction. Also, don't stir the sticks around, but move them separately from side to side and top to bottom.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,072 Posts
great input

thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
now when i watched a video from Simpson i noticed that his radio displays the same warning i get, so i think it is just the way it works, and there is nothing to do or worry about.
thanks again.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:47 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post

Mark,

Could you recheck that link please - doesn't work for me (Chrome and Firefox both say "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.").

Is it here?

Thanks much for this thread - it is so much more useful (and friendlier) than the "other" thread.

Gene K
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,072 Posts
try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Mark,

Could you recheck that link please - doesn't work for me (Chrome and Firefox both say "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.").

Is it here?

Thanks much for this thread - it is so much more useful (and friendlier) than the "other" thread.

Gene K
i just tried it-and it works!
i have faced this situation. i think it is 1 of the vagaries of electronics.
i hope if you try again it may work this time.