HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:23 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Okay, Okay... Thanks Gene. Remember that was the first flight, it was drizzling and I have the cheesy Cessna brick & toy TX. After those flights it flew great once I trimmed the elevator.

I'm happy with this profile and I'm ready for the real build. Here's pic's of the finished bird. I brush painted the wing, LG wing and tail areas all other areas are Speedy01's ROF enlarged tissue drawings and covered in tissue.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:54 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Okay, Okay...... I'm ready for the real build.
Okay, Okay....I stuck parts for your "real build" in the mail (plus a mystery bonus) - proof attached. Two vertical tail pieces included, one with a tab which, if you want to use it, requires cutting a slot in the horizontal stab (my preferred). Elevators are hinged full length with UHU Por.

I'll work on the wing after I get back next week.

Good luck finding modeling time between selling your place and moving into a new home!!! Exciting times, I'm sure.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:30 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
You are the master! Man that looks so so good...Thank you. I have to work on a few things to send for your build. Yes, this bird will be on a tight schedule time wise.

Pete
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
660 Posts
Do any of you guys play ROF? I tried really hard to get into it, seeing as RB3D and WWI sims in general are my favorite, but I feel it comes up short.

Online you mostly fly over the big lake... dull. And I just never got the adrenaline pumping fun dogfights that I did in career mode on Red Baron back in the day. I think its all graphics show and not much fun.

Back to topic - nice plane !
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
I love ROF for the great graphics. For me it is hard to fly these birds in the game and it's all about going in circles, also it's little fast for me too. I'm not the best in adjusting the setting and things I need to on my new computer to play it better. I don't play on line. I can't beat the AI without cheats, unlimited fuel, ammo, easy settings on everything etc.

Again I do really like the skins and viewer items. They really help with this hobby.

Pete
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
WooHoo! The Speedy01(Gene) ROF designed Micro14.5" WS, D.VIII fuselage tail feathers, wheels and Oberursel motor have arrived straight from the Speedy factory.

Man it looks great and it is super light.

Excellent work as usual Gene. I thank you and hope I can do your kit justice. I will however be delayed in starting this build as I'm in the middle of a possible move.

Thank you Gene hope all is well.

Pete
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:32 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Looks great! And the motor is really good -- is that the thread method of making cooling fins you mentioned earlier?
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Vtdiy,

No, I did not use thread on mine this time. I just did quick blue foam cylinders there's a CF rod in the middle. I tried to grove some with a pen before painting.

Gene did the scaled paper build his looks great. I'm not sure which on I'll use on my build. Gene's diameter is bigger so it may not work as well as mine. It has to spin free inside the cowling. The motor will be angled slightly down and slightly right that all has to be considered in the clearance.

I did one ammo feed tray. 1mm depron with sanded aluminum tape covering.
I think it looks ok so I'll go with that for mine and Gene's.

Pete
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Gene did the scaled paper build his looks great.
Pete, that was just a "demo" engine - the diameter's fractionally too large to spin freely in the cowling. It's easier to build a new one rather than trying to shave the cylinders a little.

Are the UHU-hinged fuselage hatches going to give you enough access to mount the engine and brick? They should close perfectly when you glue them down.

The guns, as usual, look terrific!

Gene
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Gene,

It's great! It will make this build so much easier for me. One thing that is important on the wing build and on the fuselage is to be sure we have the strut points, for those and the LG aswell. Are the pin hole those locations on the fuselage? (I use pins too BTW when I need to know where they will be)

Also for your LG wing it is best to use ply for the bottom and the ribs.

Oh and I just realized is this for a 15"WS 1:20 scale or 14.5"WS that would explain why my quick profile is just a hair smaller.

I will get to things as soon as I can. Looking forward to your wing on your build to see how those ribs,spar and tips come out.

Thanks again Gene.

Pete
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Will start the PZ P-51 motor and fake Oberursel motor install tonight.

I just got forced down in my ROF D.VIII by two DH4's bad oil fuel leak

Pete
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,007 Posts
Here's the start of the full scale (not undercambered) wing. I based the frame on a paper model, and built up the wing with various thicknesses of Depron: spars = 1.6mm; Ribs = 2.5mm; top/bottom sheeting = 1.1mm.

Next step is to add the wing servo, ailerons, and mechanics. Then I'll add a CF leading edge, close it all up (building in a little wash out), and apply the ROF tissue.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Oct 16, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,007 Posts
Quote:
I just got forced down in my ROF D.VIII by two DH4's....
Wimp!

Turn on the "Invincible" setting.

Gene K
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Here's the start of the full scale (not undercambered) wing. I based the frame on a paper model, and built up the wing with various thicknesses of Depron: spars = 1.6mm; Ribs = 2.5mm; top/bottom sheeting = 1.1mm.

Next step is to add the wing servo, ailerons, and mechanics. Then I'll add a CF leading edge, close it all up (building in a little wash out), and apply the ROF tissue.

Gene K
What did you do for the wing tips ... I can't quite make it out from the fotos.

Did you bake an airfoil into the upper and lower halves?

Out of curiosity, why are you doing a b/u wing?

Would you please post the weight of the wing when completed?
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Hey Gene that wing looks great and I'm sure it will be super strong too.

Pete