HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,611 Posts
G,
The non-vox has no microphone installed. You have to set the delay time you want after power on. The vox version senses no noise and then activates the beacon. There is a tradeoff with less operation time with the vox version.
These two posts from FMKit will help you:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=568
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=486

So your preference on how you want it to work for you. I use the non-vox for my multicopters. FMKit's beacon has helped me find them several times now Just make sure your beacon lipo is fully charged before the days flying as part of your preflight inspections.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
So, help out a old man and save me some time by telling me the best option for this? I have FRS radios already so I assume the frequencies in these are standard FRS. What is the best model vox or non? I have a NAZA F450 Thanks
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
G,
The non-vox has no microphone installed. You have to set the delay time you want after power on. The vox version senses no noise and then activates the beacon. There is a trade off with less operation time with the vox version.
These two posts from FMKit will help you:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=568
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=486

So your preference on how you want it to work for you. I use the non-vox for my multicopters. FMKit beacon has helped me find them several times now Just make sure your beacon lipo is fully charged before the days flying as part of your preflight inspections.
Cheers,
Jim
I understand now please tell me what battery and connectors would I need for this device? And does it have a blinking light of some kind when its working?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,611 Posts
G,
The beacons use 1s for power. Lot's of choices for that. HK has some 1s for about $1. I chose to carefully dissect older lipos and use one 200-400mah cell from them and solder a JST connector. FMkit's post on duration: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=511

Yes there is a blinking LED. That is how you set it up.
Here is video in this post that will help you: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=494

Here is a post of what the latest version looks like: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=555

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I understand now please tell me what battery and connectors would I need for this device? And does it have a blinking light of some kind when its working?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
both versions look alike
here you can see microphone added
plenty of stock, ship same or next day
when checking out note "vox"

NICE! if you sell them with the battery for extra as a compleate kit I will buy one.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Any thoughts on when the GPS feature will be available?

I like the idea of it sending a morse code for the direction and distance from the 'home' position for say the first hour, then switching to the standard beacon to save battery..
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old May 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
So I got the beacon, so far it works well. Need to figure out how to work the button system to change some settings..lol

As for tracking, I found that if I wrap 3 sides of my walkie talkie with aluminum foil, and completely cover the antenna, it will literally point directly at the beacon. more and 30 degrees to each side and it will give static right down to about 30 feet from the beacon.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,611 Posts
A,
Nice discovery Photos of your aluminum wrap please?

There is a video of the settings on Peter's website.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
So I got the beacon, so far it works well. Need to figure out how to work the button system to change some settings..lol

As for tracking, I found that if I wrap 3 sides of my walkie talkie with aluminum foil, and completely cover the antenna, it will literally point directly at the beacon. more and 30 degrees to each side and it will give static right down to about 30 feet from the beacon.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
where's the settings??

As for the wrap. Super simple
Old May 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So, thats what aluminum wrap looks like.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,611 Posts
A,
Also on his webpage: http://www.fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html
Thanks for the photo
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
where's the settings??

As for the wrap. Super simple
Old May 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
ya its a new cutting age material. Very expensive.

Seriously tho, my brother hid my plane with the beacon. It took me about 5-10 minutes to confirm the direction of the signal.. and within 15 minutes I found the plane. It was tough because it was close enough for all three tones to be heard. But the foil worked great to cut that range down so I could use all three tones when at a close range to pin point the plane.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Oh this beacon does NOT interfere with a UHF rc link.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:36 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,305 Posts
Suggestion

fmkit,
I have a suggestion. I already have 3 batteries to get charged before I can go flying (2 in air, 1 on ground station). I'm not thrilled about adding another battery to deal with. Could you design a 1s battery charger with a one way diode that taps into the main 3s battery so the beacon would just automatically charge it's self up when in normal use? It would make the beacon a set & forget item. You would need a switch to turn it off and on however, so you could leave the 1s attached all the time, and so you could reset the interval.
If the plane crashes with power in its main battery (which it should if their is a low voltage cut off) then the 1s could stay charged for days or weeks by the main battery.
This should be easy for someone like you.
Thanks.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:42 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,305 Posts
Is this thread dead?
Seems I'm late to the party and everyone's gone home. I know people are still losing their planes, so there should be no lack of demand for this product. I can't find any competitors.
No word from FMKIT for 6 weeks, is he still here? I just paid my $50 with PayPal, but no word yet. Anyone else get a delivery recently? That would be nice to hear.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Is this thread dead?
Seems I'm late to the party and everyone's gone home. I know people are still losing their planes, so there should be no lack of demand for this product. I can't find any competitors.
No word from FMKIT for 6 weeks, is he still here? I just paid my $50 with PayPal, but no word yet. Anyone else get a delivery recently? That would be nice to hear.
NOPE not for a long time