HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2010, 09:03 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Remember that the Champ RTF package is aimed at beginner pilots, so they include the RTF DSM2 transmitter. They aren't going to offer a BNF version of the Champ. Just consider this a BNF Champ with a free transmitter. After all, it is the same price as the Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub BNF (that doesn't come with a transmitter). And from everything I hear, the Champ is the better plane.

Keep those Champs flying, guys! And let's see some pictures.

Andy
(who will probably be binding his Champ to his DX7 eventually)
I have flown both the Champ and the J-3; and while both models are a bit fast for most smaller indoor venues, the Champ does fly a wee bit slower than the J-3.

So far, all the J-3s that I have flown have a tendency to tip stall, a habit the Champs do not have, making it the better flyer of the two IMHO. I am very pleased with my Champ, though I have no intention of binding it any of my DX7 trannys.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:44 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Quote:
Keep those Champs flying, guys! And let's see some pictures.
The champ didnt fare to good in a round of dogfighting....lol...pretty much destroyed it....I did manage to get it up in the air again with some packing tape and a few toothpicks after the first strike but not so much after the fuselage got ripped in two,oh well got some parts to fix it on the way...only cost $30 to fix!

oilfield1 is offline Find More Posts by oilfield1
Old Jul 09, 2010, 06:55 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
"The champ didnt fare to good in a round of dogfighting....lol...pretty much destroyed it....I did manage to get it up in the air again with some packing tape and a few toothpicks after the first strike but not so much after the fuselage got ripped in two"

Now, pray tell, how did you manage to do that?
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:18 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
"The champ didnt fare to good in a round of dogfighting....lol...pretty much destroyed it....I did manage to get it up in the air again with some packing tape and a few toothpicks after the first strike but not so much after the fuselage got ripped in two"

Now, pray tell, how did you manage to do that?

Blade strike from Hobbico Nexstar mini ep....it didnt fare so well either and it cost 3 times as much to fix.
Last edited by oilfield1; Jul 09, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:38 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
Champ Is a Winner

I've flown my Champ outdoors with no problems. This morning the breeze was about 5 knots, but the Champ handled it like a champ .

There's no tendency to tip stall, not much twitchiness, and there's plenty of power. Flight duration is plenty for me. Using two transmitters with a buddy cord, the Champ would make a good trainer.

Right now, this is my candidate for "travel airplane." I intend to take it on vacation, but first I need to make a set of floats, because I want to fly it from a pond in New Hampshire.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:35 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,722 Posts
Dang! I gotta get me one.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:15 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
549 Posts
Stealth box for the Champ

This idea is so simple, I'm sure that others have already done it. I don't always like to advertise what I'm carrying around, so I "reversed" my Champ's hangar (carrying box). Since the box isn't glued together, all you have to do is pull the tabs out of their slots, reverse the bends and tab the box back together. You can also add your own labels (such as "DANGER - RABID VENOMOUS SNAKES - DO NOT OPEN) to discourage unauthorized tampering.

As many others in this thread, I learned to fly with the Champ. It was the mid sixties, and I was stationed at a small USAF base in Chaumont, France. We had a flying club that had two Piper Tri-Pacers and three Champs: a 7AC (no electical system, had to hand prop it), a 7EC (my favorite with a full IFR panel) and a 7FC (little known variant with tricycle landing gear). I loved the Champ and still vividly remember my solo flight in the 7EC.

Regards,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
Old Jul 11, 2010, 02:41 PM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Dang! I gotta get me one.
Bildo,

I've never known you not to be the leader of the pack.

Get you one right away.

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
Old Jul 11, 2010, 02:56 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,722 Posts
LOL If I was a leader, or wanted to be one, I wouldn't be working for the man like I am. Had enough of that leading thing in the military. Lot more fun to gripe about those in charge rather than be that guy
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
ordered mine today after reading all the reviews, looks at the videos, and comparing the champ to the other micro planes... can't wait!!!! I used to race rc cars many years ago, tried a few different helicopters and I got tired of hovering around. always wanted a plane, but they used to cost a fortune.... this plane looks like alot of fun, and hopefully it won't empty my pocketbook... looking forward to it being on my doorstep!!!! wooot woot
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
Crash McNooblet
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 2009
47 Posts
I went and did it!!! I went out and bought one on Wednesday...after only a few short days of deliberating! Couldn't be happier unless it had been free!!! Great plane as everyone says, handles excellently, stable, and quite agile on a more inside-hole on the control horns....awesome plane!!!

Oh, same as others have mentioned, the control linkages were stuck to the paint where they protrude from the fuse, also...the "G-FLYER" decals were both massively bubbled...with only the edges of each decal barely adhered to the wings, the entire center of each decal were one large bubble of air, and the underlying paint was still sticky a bit. No matter...it dried.

All in all, an excellent plane and almost too easy to fly, and the birds seem to love it also, I've already got some battle scars from some sparrows attacking it! :P

If anyone is considering this as their first plane, it's a nice one! If anyone else is just looking at it as another addition to their collection, you won't be disappointed!

-Scott
ci_phon is offline Find More Posts by ci_phon
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:01 PM
Tulare, CA.
Joined Feb 2009
70 Posts
Awsome! I got one coming tomarrow,have been following this thread,and just waiting for it to arrive!,one question for you "champions",does the tiny bright lights set work with a rtf champ?,thanks for any replys,Bill
dirt torpedo is offline Find More Posts by dirt torpedo
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:15 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
I don't have it. But I am sure they do. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:21 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt torpedo View Post
Awsome! I got one coming tomarrow,have been following this thread,and just waiting for it to arrive!,one question for you "champions",does the tiny bright lights set work with a rtf champ?,thanks for any replys,Bill
Must have some...where do you get them?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
Hey Lafeyette, I have a friend that lives near you. haha. Small whorld. Happy Flying. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy