HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:24 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Question
Graupner E motor

Hi guys. Can anybody tell me how many amps this motor uses and what amperage controller I should use?

I have some controllers but they are 30, 35, 50 and 60 amps.

Thanks, PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Last edited by planepainter; Mar 27, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:46 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Motors don't use (much) current by themselves, it all depends what load (prop) you put on them.

Keep these to about 20A. Any of the ESC's you mention will work fine.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:57 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Thanks Andy! Always count on you for good information. I was thinking of using this controller as it is in good condition. I understand that the braided plug goes into the receiver at the throttle. And the "motor" plugs go into the motor. But how do I get those big fittings to go onto the poles on the back of the motor?

And how does the battery plug into the other end? Are there adapters that are used?

Sorry about the questions but I am just getting into E power and want to be sure to set it up correctly.

PP
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You would switch the connectors on the battery side to whatever you have on your batteries, and remove the connectors on the motor side to solder to the motor terminals directly. That ESC is only good for 15A continuous - you should use a larger one.

..a
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:58 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Thanks again Andy. I will bump it up to a larger capacity controller. I show a photo of one of the other ones. It has no brand name on it but has ESC- A60 on the upper right hand side of the board.I drew up a quick schematic. Can you tell me if this is the correct way to set up the components?

It looks like the other controllers I have have the same twisted wire battery connector at the battery end of the controller. Is that the one that plugs into the throttle port on the receiver? If so, what do I do with those two great big wires with the huge connectors that come out of the same end?

I understand that the big wires on the other end (motor) could be cut and soldered to the motor.

The shaft that exits the front of the motor is round. How does the prop stay on it? Wouldn't the thing just spin off when power is applied?

Thanks, Donald.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:23 AM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Hi, PP. Some info I saved from Hobby Lobby's catalog from when they carried that motor and GB says that the motor has a Kv of 2360, peak amps of 16, peak power of 199 watts, recommended prop is 11x7, for a sailplane weighing up to 65 oz.

I would recommend setting up the motor/ESC/battery/prop on a test stand first to make sure it all works before you go to the trouble of installing it all in the plane and then discovering that something is not right. Having access to a wattmeter during your testing would help to make sure you don't burn something out. If you plan on using LiPos, start with a 2S. The gearbox will allow you to use a 3S if that's all you have.
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:53 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
As it appears you have no prior experience with electric power systems, please take some time to read these threads:
Power System introduction from the beginner training forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739069

A list of Power system Reviews and Columns from the online magazine side of this site:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445016

..a
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:16 AM
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
PP, here's a photo of a typical brushed motor setup. Note that the flight battery ( a 2S LiPo) is connected to the Speed Controller, not to the receiver as shown in your diagram. The controller's output cables are soldered directly to the motor terminals with the black cable to the motor's negative terminal. The 3-conductor wire from the controller is connected to the throttle channel on the receiver. Since your controller in your picture doesn't have a label on it, the power cables on the end of the controller next to the 3-conductor cable are ones that connect to the flight battery.

I agree with Andy W that you should read through the references that he posted above. This is the best free electric RC advice you'll ever get, especially if you don't have an experienced friend to stand next to you to guide you.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:37 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Thanks Andy and great reading. Day by day I am expanding my knowledge of E flight. The articles you have provided will help a lot.

My problem is that I don't even know how things hook up- what goes where into what port. I have a good battery that plugs into the receiver but how does the power and control get to the motor?

I guess I could go out to the field this week and ask one of the guys to remove the hatch on his plane and show me how it all looks....

PP
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:01 AM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
PP,
With the power system you are going to use, a battery for the receiver is not used, the flight battery powers everything. If you are using Lipos for power, make sure the esc is rated for the lipo you will use-- 3 cell, 4 cell, etc. Also, if you do not have a esc made for lipos and want to use lipos, there is a way to do that and have the correct cutoff voltage, it is called a LIPO SHIELD. it can be used with any esc and still use lipo type of battery for power.
If you are not familiar with lipos, PLEASE read the reports about charging ,handling, and proper use.
If you have any questions please ask, never assume.
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:12 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
The output shaft should be 3.17mm (sometimes referred to as 3.2mm or 1/8"). This link http://www.hobby-lobby.com/spinners_2.htm shows a list of adapter options for fixed props or folders using a yoke. There are also adapters complete with folder yokes & spinners available in different sizes.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:42 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
WONDERFUL!!!! This is the stuff I have been looking for!

Andy, Frank, Joel, Pat, you guys are great! Now it starts to make sense. I will be sure to match the components properly.

Good stuff!
PP
Old Mar 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Your picture is what prompted me to find and post those links. You show the battery going to the Rx. That is not correct, the battery plugs into the ESC directly, as shown in the photo posted by Joel.
..a
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
I have a good battery that plugs into the receiver but how does the power and control get to the motor?

I guess I could go out to the field this week and ask one of the guys to remove the hatch on his plane and show me how it all looks....

PP
PP, the batteries that you used in your glow planes to power the receiver and servos is NOT the same battery that can be used with an electric motor. I think that's what you had in mind in your diagram. Receiver batteries are designed to deliver only 4 or 5 volts at miniscule amperages (no more than 5A). Motor batteries have to be able to deliver a lot more voltage at at least 25A to be practical for electric flight.

Since it looks like you may have access to other R/Cer's who have electric planes, you'll have a chance to ask questions and see how others are using electric motors and batteries to power their planes.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:10 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Joel, you are correct. I was assuming that I could use one of my sailplane batteries. That goes to show how uneducated I am regarding E flight. But I am learning fast. I am also learning that the batteries needed for this are pretty costly- especially for a temporarily employment challenged person such as I. I was hoping to use most of what I already had on hand to get a basic pattern plane into the air. Looks like I'll have to start saving for a couple of items now.

Thanks. Donald.