Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
Discussion
HK Short Tucano RAF Fiberglass - 2.15m(85") 30cc Electric Conversion

Christmas present to myself was a Short Tucano RAF 30cc Fiberglass 2150mm. Top pick for an electric conversion due to its removable canopy and glorious amount of battery space.

Specs:
Wingspan: 2150mm
Length: 1700mm
Flying Weight: 5500g~6000g
Wing Loading: 92g~100g dm2
Wing Area: 60g/dm2
Includes:
Instructions
Hardware
Fuel tank & accessories
Decals
Requires:
Your own 6 Channel TX/RX
8~9 MG Standard Size Servo
30cc Gas Engine or Electric Equivalent
RX Battery/Regulator
Retracts
Spinner (94mm/3.75")

Undecided on the inner workings as I will purchasing them bit by bit, If my 42" slick sells then I will buy most of it all at once but we'll see, depends what I can get for the slick.

Pictures attached, will post more when I get hold of it, Don't anticipate seeing it for a few days due to the holiday season.

Engine:
Undecided on the engine, probably a 12s setup, 6-7k mah, 170-200r/v

Retracts:
o boy, will be hitting up the community on this one, never done a large model with retracts, closest thing I've done is a 1.5m L-39 Albatross but those were pretty easy electric retracts, doubt something like those would withstand a 5-7kg model.

I'll try my best to keep this thread updated with pictures and build reports.

Have a merry x-mas all.
Jack

EDIT 05/04/2012 - Added Manual

EDIT 06/04/2012 - Started Build: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=60
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Last edited by Lojik; Apr 10, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
WarClouds Online Dogfights
Joined Jan 2008
262 Posts
Wow that is a nice model! I love the RAF tucanos.

Post some pictures please when your model arrives. I'd like to see the side profile.

Note: CJM makes retracts for the don smith tucano 85". Almost the exact same size.
IL2windhawk is offline Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
Last edited by IL2windhawk; Dec 26, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2windhawk View Post
Wow that is a nice model! I love the RAF tucanos.

Post some pictures please when your model arrives. I'd like to see the side profile.

Note: CJM makes retracts for the don smith tucano 85". Almost the exact same size.
Will do bro, I'm back at work tomorrow so hoping to find a large box there waiting for me, if not maybe Thursday. Thanks for the cjm retract advice, will look them up and see if they will do.

This bird is screaming for a carbon spinner and carbon prop, gonna see if I can get one for her. If not I might look for a 4 bladed wood for some scale character, did the RAF tucanos run on 4 or 3 or 2 blades?

At the beach enjoying my day off, hope everyone has had a good holiday so far.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by montcap
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Hi Jack
Pulled mine out of the box yesterday (of course). you are going to love this one. I intend to do mine electric. Haven't had a ic since '87 and already have 3 models larger than this in electric.
I took the trike gear option from HK, While not expecting to have too much trouble adapting them to suite, i did like the price. After all that is what lathes are for eh. My concern is the nose wheel mounting, with out facing this up into position, i feel it might be a little light in construction?? The rudder tail post needs a little bit of finishing as the painting has not continued around here, otherwise the level of finish is very good. Mine arrived with a damaged canopy, some how mashed in: Will chase this down tomorrow. Don't have too much fun at the beach, i'm stuck in the workshop finishing off a Rivets so i can clear the bench.

windhawk, took it out for a pickie with the phone camera, not sure if it is going to post here, if it doesn't work, No#1 son is back home tomorrow and as you would expect it will be sorted in .1 of a nano second....i give up after about 4 hrs.
Graham (move the decimal)
Name: 27122011489.jpg
Views: 318
Size: 314.0 KB
Description:
montcap is offline Find More Posts by montcap
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
Graham, nice to see another person with this model. I was seriously considering electric as the large canopy makes it perfect for battery access, never done an electric this size though so not sure what sort of power system would be required if I went down the conversion route, always wanted a gassed model though, I want to put a smoke system in mine for events. Jack.
Last edited by Lojik; Dec 27, 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:17 AM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Checked out the CJM site for retracts, they have an agency here! could be around the 500 to 600 mark!!!! for less than a 100, i will have a go on the lathe with the HK ones. As i have them here, i will head out to the work shop an check them out now.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:31 AM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
OK Jack
Have had a quick look at the HK retracts. Someone mentioned the mains were a bit short. No probs, can sort these in the lathe. The nose oleo i hope is the right length, and i suspect it is, however the axles are set up for a dual wheel arrangement. I will do the research and see if i can track down an offset mount for it. Cant be too hard can it?
Graham
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcap View Post
OK Jack
Have had a quick look at the HK retracts. Someone mentioned the mains were a bit short. No probs, can sort these in the lathe. The nose oleo i hope is the right length, and i suspect it is, however the axles are set up for a dual wheel arrangement. I will do the research and see if i can track down an offset mount for it. Cant be too hard can it?
Graham
Yer was reading about that on the Tucano comments, i'll do some research on alternative brands of retracts that might work for us just in case. Will have a talk with some of my jet guys, I fly allot of edf's and some of the larger models use pretty hefty retracts that might suit us, could easily swap out the wheels for something with a bit more grip to keep it scale like. Will report back in a day or so.

Beach was good, mega tired though, 6 hours driving. Off to work tomorrow for the stat days.

Jack
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
WarClouds Online Dogfights
Joined Jan 2008
262 Posts
Thanks a ton for the side-profile picture. It just reaffirms how much I like this model. I haven't bought a new plane for about 1 year (because I have so many already!), but this one makes me want to open up my wallet.

I would expect the CJM gear to be about that price ($500-600), but it would also be top quality. I abhor cheap retracts, because I have ruined many nice airplanes because of them. Then again, HK has proven time and time again that good quality can be reasonably priced. I haven't tried their retracts yet.

I.C. propulsion poses problems with the Tucano:
1) the nose is very narrow, so it's very difficult to keep everything inside the cowl
2) the nosewheel retract (when located in the scale location) takes up a lot of the valuable space needed for #1. Note image: where nose-wheel comes out right where the cylinder would be.

Just the same, I will go with I.C. on my plane. I have a smaller nitroplanes 90-120 size tucano that will fit an RCV120 nicely. Too bad that RCV doesn't make anything bigger for a 85" plane. My RCV also spins a 4-blade prop, like a real Tucano.
IL2windhawk is offline Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
Last edited by IL2windhawk; Dec 27, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
I'm pricing up the electric conversion as well, just wanna see what an elec setup would cost compared to the gas, your right about the nose gear, for model purposes we can't have our gear there without making a gear plate under the firewall, only possible with electric.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,337 Posts
This should give you an idea of the pricing for a quality electric setup equivalent to a 30cc gasser.

http://www.aero-model.com/Electro-1.60-PowerSet.aspx

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
This should give you an idea of the pricing for a quality electric setup equivalent to a 30cc gasser.

http://www.aero-model.com/Electro-1.60-PowerSet.aspx

McD
thanks for the info
Last edited by Lojik; Apr 02, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:02 AM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
I have a spare HXT 63-74 200kv that i intend to use, also have the speedie, bec and the batteries, so that's where i will be heading. No postie today Jack?
These seem to be numbered....? mine is #55
And i gathered up some Turnigy MG958 servos for it in my last order too, think they should do the trick.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:10 AM
Find More Posts by Lojik
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by montcap View Post
I have a spare HXT 63-74 200kv that i intend to use, also have the speedie, bec and the batteries, so that's where i will be heading. No postie today Jack?
These seem to be numbered....? mine is #55
And i gathered up some Turnigy MG958 servos for it in my last order too, think they should do the trick.
Nah the email I got during x-mas was only the checker bot, only got the despatch email this morning, probably 4-7 days knowing auspost haha. Man i'm itching to get hold of her so I can start. Montcap what are the inner dimensions of the cowel area, need to start thinking about my engine.
Last edited by Lojik; Dec 28, 2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:45 AM
Joined May 2011
19 Posts
Hi Jack
You just want me to have another look at it eh?
OK.. Approx,178mmfrom fire wall to front of cowl, 155mm at widest point of fire wall, slightly less at the motor c/l. 200mm high at fire wall, nose wheel cutout 50mm up from bottom of fire wall. hope this helps.
Graham