3,554 Posts
Many just use Velcro
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Joined Mar 2015
125 Posts
Velcro FTW. I like to glue some to the fuse and wrap around the battery too. Keeps the battery from shifting when I have dorky landings.
Bmwjoon is offline Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Old May 14, 2015, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by James P. Loughra
James P. Loughran
Joined Oct 2012
32 Posts
Reid,
I'm sure the clevis will work. I use the ball links because they're easier to remove. You may have to shorten the coupler to get the over all length of the coupler/clevis assembly to match up with the set up shown in the picture. The distance from the servo horn to the pushrod sleeve guide is fixed and critical.
Just run some tests, you'll find the right prop.
As regards securing the battery.... DON"T DORK THE KAPPA!!!
With the 707 and a TP 1300 mAh battery and a Thunderbird 54 ESC, if you position the servo tray so the forward edge of the tray is 8 3/8" from the front of the firewall you will be able to slip the battery into the fuselage, tuck in the wires and everything will stay put without any further effort. The battery will be out of sight up inside the fuse and the pressure from the wires ( which you may have to shorten) will keep the battery from sliding backwards. No room for Velcro! After you set it up, you will see that there is no way the battery will get away.

Jim
James P. Loughra is offline Find More Posts by James P. Loughra
Old May 14, 2015, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
United States, CO, Perry Park
Joined Apr 2006
340 Posts
Thanks Jim,
I'm taking special note of what guys like you, Lenny and others are saying. I've always worked my way up to having nice TD/J and DLG models but not this time. I want my first 5J model to be top line competitive but that comes at the risk of expensive mistakes so I appreciate what you guys are posting.

I'm sorry you injured your Kappa. Seriously, is there anything worse than crashing a beautiful model (from a hobby standpoint)? I get dizzy, the ocean roars in my head and I hear Pavarotti singing Pagliachi, The Tragic Clown.....and I don't even like opera.

Reid
ReidRoberts is offline Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
Old May 14, 2015, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Burson
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,391 Posts
For holding batteries in place, use 3M Dual lock, much stronger than velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidRoberts View Post
James,

THAT is a really nice servo tray. My Kappa will be here next week via Skip Miller Models. Before I e-mail you to purchase one of your cut-outs....I was just thinking of attaching a threaded end and clevis to the pushrods instead of an L bend on the original tray. Is there a drawback in this? I've done this on all my TD and J models.

Also, I'm a little concerned about the varying Kv's in the Neu motors. For $250.00 a pop, one would think the output would be consistent in these motors; hopefully, it will be OK.

One last dumb question since I'm new to ALES/F5J (TD, J and K previously). What is the Best Practice way to secure the battery in the fuse?

Thanks, Reid
Robert Burson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Burson
Old May 15, 2015, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by Airman74
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,554 Posts
What is 3M dual lock? And where do I get it?
Old May 15, 2015, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by Wazmo
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,577 Posts
It's an adhesive backed, re-closable, snap-lock plastic strip, sort of like a heavy duty version of Velcro.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ble-Fasteners/
You can probably find it in most office supply and hardware stores.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old May 15, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Burson
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
What is 3M dual lock? And where do I get it?
Mouser or Amazon.
Robert Burson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Burson
Old May 18, 2015, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by Airman74
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,554 Posts
Thanks guys!!!
I'll be getting me some of that
Old Jun 04, 2015, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by waldoi
Joined Jun 2010
42 Posts
Jim, great looking servo tray. I am just going to start building my Kappa and would like to take you up on the offer to cut a tray. . What would you like me to do?
waldoi is offline Find More Posts by waldoi