Find More Posts by atjurhs
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,588 Posts
Discussion
which side of the original firewall

Hi guys,

I bought a Radian XL as my first ALES ship. I'm upgrading the powersystem with a really nice geared motor designed just for ALES type flying.

I've pulled out the existing powersystem. The OEM motor was attached to a plastic bulkhead that's integrated into the rest of the plane's frame. It was attached with 4 bolt pattern. The new motor has a 3 bolt pattern. I plan to make a new bulkhead out of G-10 and marry it up to the original bulkhead.

Question: which side of the original plastic firewall do I mount the new G-10 firewall to ? Do I mount it in front of the existing firewall or do I mount it behind the original firewall ?

Thanks!

Todd
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2016, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by banjo328
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
225 Posts
Mounting it behind the original firewall would probably be best from a strength standpoint. You'd just need long enough bolts to reach through the original firewall.....

A three bolt pattern is unusual. What motor/gear box...?
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
4,443 Posts
From a strength point of view, the ~2kg thrust developed should be only a fraction of your fastening strength.
But from a position point of view, setting your new firewall in front of the existing and making a hole in the existing firewall just larger than the gearbox diameter will let you get the motor shaft a few mm further forward.
If necessary you could even space the new G10 firewall a bit further forward to avoid having to extend the shaft - a bit like the motor box concept commonly used in ARF sports models
Maybe there's a market for a neat CNC standoff firewall drilled for the existing firewall and the 3 hole Maxon gearboxes.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jul 26, 2016, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by atjurhs
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,588 Posts
I made a plate out of 3mm G-10 to marry-up with the 3 bolt pattern of the NEU Motor 1105-2.5/4.4/1 motor, but there was no way that it could align with4 bolt pattern that is part of the bulkhead. so this little exercise is over and onto another endeavor.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs