Old Dec 14, 2015, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by aero330
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Sep 2014
29 Posts
Discussion
Hi everybody !

Hi guys,
my name is Andrea and I come from Italy. First of all I'm sorry for my english but I'll try to explain myself in the best way...otherwise you'll correct me! I decided to sign up myself in this forum because I'd like to share my combat planes with you and also learning your techniques. I'm an active user in an italian forum called BaroneRosso where I share my projects in RC Combat section of course

I just done a video to explain RC Combat here in Italy and if you want to see it, here is the link:
THIS IS RC COMBAT (3 min 3 sec)

I hope to post my planes as soon as possible.

Best reguards,
Andrea
aero330 is offline Find More Posts by aero330
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2015, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,902 Posts
Hi Andrea, nice video. What are the basic rules?. Size, weight, power system limits? The performance of the different planes looked fairly close so it looks like the rules you use help to keep things close in performance.

I fly all electric planes in rc combat, but here, all formal class events are designed with fuel power in mind. The electric planes can compete, but often are at some performance disadvantage compared to the fuel powered planes.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Old Dec 16, 2015, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Hi Andrea, nice video. What are the basic rules?. Size, weight, power system limits? The performance of the different planes looked fairly close so it looks like the rules you use help to keep things close in performance.

I fly all electric planes in rc combat, but here, all formal class events are designed with fuel power in mind. The electric planes can compete, but often are at some performance disadvantage compared to the fuel powered planes.
Hi Knife Liddle !
In Italy we rely on EPA/ESA combat rules with some changes. We use polystyrene and then cover the planes with wrapping paper to reinforce the structure otherwise when you sometimes land hard you can break everything !

Briefly ,these are the basic limits:
-warbirds in service from 1939 to 1945
-wingspan (single-engine) : from 800 up to 850 mm (31in - 33in)
(twin-engine): up to 1000mm (39in)
-The length scaled accordingly
-permitted tolerance: +-20mm (1 in)
Max weight: 520g (1,14 lbs)

Electric Set up:
- single-engine -> 170W motor (in general 1000kv with 8x6), battery 3s 1350 mah, ESC 20A
- twin-engine -> 170W per motor, battery 3s 2500mah

This is the setup we us, and like you mentioned before the performance is similar so no one is at a disadvantage.

Even in Italy, 3-4 years ago the people flew with fuel/electric planes (category called ACES, similar to EPA but with bigger dimensions) but the crisis in our country and the high cost of spare parts stopped everything. So the EPA/ESA was the solution to enjoy together with minimal costs and still we fly with our planes!

Andrea
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,902 Posts
Thanks for the information. The RCCA here in the US, really could benefit from a good electric class. E power is such a huge part of the hobby now. No reaching out to the electric community is a serious oversight on their part. I hope to help change that in the near future. What you and others are doing in Europe is a good example of what can be done.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Old Dec 17, 2015, 06:57 AM
Joined Sep 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Thanks for the information. The RCCA here in the US, really could benefit from a good electric class. E power is such a huge part of the hobby now. No reaching out to the electric community is a serious oversight on their part. I hope to help change that in the near future. What you and others are doing in Europe is a good example of what can be done.
Yes, the electric class has more performance than fuel class even if many of us (me too) prefer the latter because the sound is very different and more realistic !! Moreover the speed is higher and also the adrenaline !
Old Dec 21, 2015, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Sho Nuff Combat Pilot
United States, TX, Greenville
Joined Mar 2008
122 Posts
Very nice Andrea. I administer an active combat group on FaceBook called "RC Combat".... All types of rc combat welcome. Looking forward to more pics and videos
Dane McGee is offline Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane McGee View Post
Very nice Andrea. I administer an active combat group on FaceBook called "RC Combat".... All types of rc combat welcome. Looking forward to more pics and videos
Thanks Dane !
I looked your page and there are some interesting pics !
I also manage a FB page called Curtman Squadron where you can find my past/next projects.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Sho Nuff Combat Pilot
United States, TX, Greenville
Joined Mar 2008
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero330 View Post
Thanks Dane !
I looked your page and there are some interesting pics !
I also manage a FB page called Curtman Squadron where you can find my past/next projects.
Thx, I'll check it out.
Dane McGee is offline Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by dirko
Davenport, IA
Joined Apr 2004
41 Posts
Competitive

Two pilots competed with electric powered plane in Duel At Davenport II last fall they were competitive at the largest meet last year. I do agree with Lee, that they are at a small disadvantage, but piloting skill (Which I have little) can help make up.

Dirk Oosting
dirko is offline Find More Posts by dirko