HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:15 PM
USA, IA, Ottumwa
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
Question
Multi4 using 1s/2s unbalanced

I like to charge 2 1S cells (like Eflite 150mAh cells) at the same time and be able to monitor the capacity in for each cell. If I configure the input using a JST-XH 2S connector and the 1S/2S unbalance preset my Multi4 complains that I should be using the balance charge preset.

What wiring input and preset should I use to charge 2 1S cells without balancing?

I know I could try parallel charging but then I can't see the weakest cell if I have one.

Thanks,
Don
dpwasson is offline Find More Posts by dpwasson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:19 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,260 Posts
If you are using a 2 port serial charging cable that has three wires going into the balance connector on the charger, use a balanced preset. If that doesn't work, post a picture and description of your charging cable.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:33 PM
USA, IA, Ottumwa
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
one photo shows the charging setup and the Cellpro preset of 1S/2S small non balance

the second photo shows the error message "Un-bal. only Push to reset"

IMO a preset of 2S non balance should charge the two cell independently (no balance) and not return a message of "Un-bal only"
dpwasson is offline Find More Posts by dpwasson
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:15 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,260 Posts
What happens when you use the preset #4, Generic Small Balanced ?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:30 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,927 Posts
Greg, dpwasson,

I get the same error as dpwasson.

I am using the same GP/KO adapter but with a 2S 2100mah Max Amps LiPo and the "LiPo 1s/2s Small Non Balanced" preset.

When I use the "LiPo Generic Small Balanced" preset I do not get an error.

Firmware is V1.70.

Here is the problem. When you use the 1S/2S unbalanced the charger only wants to see the + and - leads. The charger is confused when it detects the connection between cells 1 and 2.

So either use preset #4 "LiPo Generic Small Balanced" or remove the center pin on your 2S connector.

Preset #4 makes more sense to me. It sure won't hurt to balance charge your two 1S cells.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Nov 14, 2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:44 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,260 Posts
Thanks Glen.

Regarding this charging scenario and the unbalanced preset, I would highly recommend against that. While it would be possible to remove the center wire and use the unbalanced preset, its a dangerous scenario. Here's why

When the unbalanced preset charges a 2s pack, the charger only sees the total pack voltage. Or in this case, it only sees the sum of the two cells. The preset operates on the assumption that both cells are very close in voltage/SoC (stage of charge).

With a 2s pack where both cells are discharged by the same load, there is a greater likelihood of both cells being fairly close. However in this scenario there are actually two separate cells. Both cells are discharged at different times and possible to different levels. There is high likihood that the cells will not be discharged equally. During the charge cycle, the charger could over charge one cell and under charge the other cell. For this reason I would use your existing wiring harness and always charge using a balanced preset. Or charge in parallel as a 1s.

Why don't you want to use the balanced preset?