Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
Mini-HowTo
FMS 1400mm BF-109F Bash and repaint

Hi Guys

Since I guess I have already done a bit on this model, I should start sharing.

I bought the "kit" from the fruit company some time ago when it was offering free shipping.

Things I plan to do:

Make a new scale tail assy: The model is way oversize in the vert/rudder and the horizontal is a bit oversize (and way too thick!)

The oil "chin radiator" is too deep. It is approaching the size of the "G" series.

Repaint

maybe some other small things we'll see.

Lets get started:
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Apr 22, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:14 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
new tails

I started by lopping off the old vertical tail tangent to the top of the fuselage at the LE of the vertical. I then shaped out a new scale vertical stab.

I shaped out of some rather high density foam (like "spider foam" but still a little denser) a new set of horizontal tails and inserted two 6" long 1/4" carbon tubes into the foam to attach them to the new vertical.

The elevators (and soon the rudder) was first cut out from 1/8" balsa and then I glued DOW "blue-foam" to each side and shaped with a corase sanding board.
Later these will be joined with a 3/32" wire joiner to only require one pushrod to the elevator.
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Jun 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
chin scoop mod

The chin scoop is a little on the "deep side" for an "f" model, so I cut it off, and buried it a littel deeper (about 3mm) into the fuselage
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Beautiful work as usual Tom. I look forward to your progress on this one. she'll be a beauty for sure.

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,646 Posts
Subscribed
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:06 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2012
262 Posts
nice work
bullworm is offline Find More Posts by bullworm
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
paint stripped

I stripped the paint (most of it anyway) with acetone. The greeen and the yellow came off easy. The gray is just not effected! must be a different paint.

I "tacked" it together for a couple of shots.

additionally I will be shortening the aileron (inbd) and lengthening the flap (outbd) to make them more scale size. The aileron hinge was broken in transit, so I just lopped them both off.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
I used lacquer thinner on mine. It took the grey off as well.
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
motor mounted

Although I may change my mind, it was just too convenient to mount an AXI-4120-20 (465 Kv) (roughly equivalent to a 5055 though they do not make a kv that low yet). The axi prop adapter comes already threaded for the 3mm spinner retention screw. An EMP, Aeolian or Turnigy woulnd need to be tapped in my lathe.

I made a .5" thick X mount extension and glued and screwed it to the existing firewall, though I did have to add a piece to the top side of the firewall for support.

I first glued the cowl on without the right thrust (I don't believe in it) and then routed the hole in the front big enough to pass the motor witht he x-mount installed.

I also (AND I STRONGLY reccommend everyone do this regards of motor chosen or cell count) threw away the crap chinese screws that retain the prop to the backplate and tapped the backplate for 4-40 (3mm would be good for the rest of the world). I then installed 1" long 4-40 screws AND washers.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo39 View Post
I used lacquer thinner on mine. It took the grey off as well.
I might have some around.. I'll try it.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
Tom you might want to try lacquer thinner on a scrap piece first. Acetone evaporates much quicker than lacquer so it more than likely will not eat the foam. I know foam in packaging found boxes will dissolve with lacquer not sure about EPO foam though. Mineral Spirits or Naptha might also work but a little pricey just to get paint off.

Matt
MPS86 is online now Find More Posts by MPS86
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Yes, definitely test first. I don't want to be responsible for any disasters but I've used it on two FMS planes and had no problems. The problem I had was the fumes attacked my plastic lens glasses so be aware and have very good ventilation if you do it. And of course protect that nice tail mod. I don't think Pink or blue insulation foam will stand up to it.
Last edited by Randbo39; Jun 30, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:07 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo39 View Post
Yes, definitely test first. I don't want to be responsible for any disasters but I've used it on two FMS planes and had no problems. The problem I had was the fumes attacked my plastic lens glasses so be aware and have very good ventilation if you do it. And of course protect that nice tail mod. I don't think Pink or blue insulation foam will stand up to it.
No worries mate. been a modeler (RC) for nearly 40 years... I always test! more than once!

I had a can of "Perfect" paint thinners, it did not take the gray off, nor did it harm the foam.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:00 AM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Been working on it lately?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:46 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,473 Posts
no, sorry,

Wife is finally getting her new kitchen after 27 years in the same house. I'm doing everything except the electrical and countertop. I should get back to it soon. I brought the Mk12 Spit to work so I could at least get something done during lunch in my lab.

Tom