HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I'd go Bixler. The motor is already in the "correct" location.
Adapting a Radian would take some effort, mounting the motor on a pylon.
Bixler BTW is only an Easy Star with ailerons.
These do carry a GoPro with ease.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
I am just a little concerned with the Bixler gliding capabilities. On the video where Mr. Bixler himself and his friend talk about this plane (flite test), they claim the plane can glide, but on the simulator, the plane behaves so "heavy", almost motor dependent 100% of the time. I might go to the foamie forum and ask...
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Last edited by Anatomist; Feb 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Some minor spelling
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:05 PM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
571 Posts
Hi, I've just today flown my Radian Pro witha Gopro HD2 attached to the fuselage on the C of G. I'm still using the original prop but will upgrade shortly to a 10x8 as it seems underpowered, more so with the Gopro installed.

I used one of the standard mounts after sanding down part of the fuz. Glued on with Goop and its a very firm and strong fit.

When the motor is off the glide angle does change which was expected. I'll post a youtube link soon
rumbey is offline Find More Posts by rumbey
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you. I look forward to see it!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
what goes up must be good
Joined Feb 2009
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey View Post
Hi, I've just today flown my Radian Pro witha Gopro HD2 attached to the fuselage on the C of G. I'm still using the original prop but will upgrade shortly to a 10x8 as it seems underpowered, more so with the Gopro installed.

I used one of the standard mounts after sanding down part of the fuz. Glued on with Goop and its a very firm and strong fit.

When the motor is off the glide angle does change which was expected. I'll post a youtube link soon
I would get an 11x 6 graupner cam speed folding prop if i were you. I fly a glider that is similar size to the radian and is fitted with the radian motor and same type of battery. It used to have the stock radian prop on it but climbs so much better with the 11x 6 due to much more static thrust. Still only pulling about 180 watts, that motor could probably handle 250 watts.
onelastflight is offline Find More Posts by onelastflight
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Trust me go with the Bixler! I started out with Hobbyzone Champ in my yard, and once I got good at flying that (flies itself pretty much), I purchased the HK Bixler ARF and did all of the mods on the Bixler forum. They are all very easy to do and cost almost nothing. I have been flying the Bixler for the last 2 months and have been very fortunate with keeping it in the air. I later put my GoPro Hero 2 on it and it flies great and glides very well. I suggest fly it and get comfortable before you throw the $300 GoPro on it. I just built it up with FPV gear and plan to use it for my FPV plane. Trust me get the Bixler and use the thread on this site to do the mods before you fly, you cant go wrong. One thing to keep in mind make sure to check "Center of Gravity" before you fly, and when you add anything on to the plane. Let me know if you have any questions, i would be glad to help.

Cheers,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Oct 2011
108 Posts
I have tried several trainers for video with the gopro hero and recentil purchased a Multiplex Mentor to try being its a taildragger, is foam so it floats, and has a 65 in. wingspan. Man was I impressed. You can chop the throttle and this thing floats forever and can slow down to walking speed without tip stalling or nose diving. What an awesome plane. It also does crazy aerobatics.
Bipesexual is offline Find More Posts by Bipesexual
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
88 Posts
IMHO of the fantastic four

Dear Anatomist,

Yooz on right track; just a couple of pointers from an owner of the Famous Radian, Bixler/Skysurfer, SkyWalker, Ogar; ALL with FPV full gear set ups:

1. Don't stop RealFlight simulation; unless you are flying in the field several days a week. I have been flying for 8 years and still hit RealFlight if I have not been flying over 3-4 days; if nothing else it is fun, and keeps my skill up for my nitro P51, and EDF jets.

2. Vapor type airplane is good for developing CARDINAL rules: never fly in peoples face, over homes, power lines, in the sun, in the rain, etc., BUT biggest challenge is that it is hard to fly in ANY wind and most places most of the time have wind, so I donated one of my Vapors to my nephew, and the other is collecting dust. Most of us learned on Hobbyzone type 2-3 channel planes, so check those out also as they can be flown in reasonable wind / below 10mph.

2. Bixler / Skysurfer is a good plane however stock build is very SUSPECT, electronics, especially servos and servo horns... build it yourself, and if you do not feel comfortable then go for RADIAN (get the regular NOT Pro, you do not need it for your purposes; Pro is great design for those who need it).

3. I violently crashed my SkySurfer because of RF interferences that jammed my Rx over asphalt, but if flew well in all my testings right prior to maximum full FPV gear...at which point it weight many pounds but still flew well.

4. I currently fly the Ogar that has mega space twice of the skywalker; much more predictable flyer than skywalker but used MUCH more energy than skywalker so not good for long distance; Skywalker is well known for death spirals but otherwise many people have made it work for them; Radian is the most predictable flyer of all (beginners NEED predictability), it is a great glider
, and it is available in RTF with moderate quality parts...BUT prop is in the front.

SUMMARY: since you are a begginer then buy ready made standard Radian; if you are feeling ambitious then build a Bixler/SkySurfer; if you are feeling lucky then a skyWalker.

If you want to see any of my videos...just ask.

Good Luck, Root-sie
RootCanalGuy is offline Find More Posts by RootCanalGuy
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:47 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,201 Posts
What about a Slow Stick? Cheap, easy to find, easy to fly, easy and cheap to fix, insensitive CG, easy to attach camera, unobstructed view at a downward angle, with a brushless motor it will easily carry a Gopro to 500', good plane to learn on without the camera, may not need a second plane.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,921 Posts
Slowstick

I agree, the Slowstick is the most versatile of the models that can carry a small camera.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
I have the Radian and use it for AP with the Gopro. It does have compromised handling with the Gopro, but isn't bad. And I do like the floaty feel. Also it makes really smooth video because the wing flex absorbs turbulence. But FPV might be hard as there isn't much internal space to fix transmitter. Here are my videos:
FPV Radian First flight with video camera onboard (1 min 11 sec)

FPV Radian flight with Gopro camera (4 min 54 sec)

And these ones are at the limit of the plane: In the videos I am at about 5000feet ground altitude, and I need 90-100% throttle to keep the plane in the air. But it shows that it works at high altitude.
Castle Valley winter flying with Gopro part 4 (wing cam) (5 min 39 sec)

Castle Valley winter flying with Gopro Camera Part 3 (closeups) (2 min 30 sec)

Castle Valley winter flying with Gopro camera Part 2 (different location) (2 min 41 sec)

Castle Valley winter flying with GoPro camera (0 min 40 sec)
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you for all the feedback. I currently have an AXN glider, a pimped up Slow Stick ( no aileron but brushless motor and upgraded landing gear) and a yet to be flown Skywalker ( with Auto Pilot just in case).

I feel very safe flying the SS. My take the GoPro box with weight inside in the next few weeks.

If everything goes right, camera inaugural flight in a month or 2.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:15 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
another vote for Slow stick. (with or without aileron)

I am running happysunday's openaero firmware /KK fcb on mine to stabilize the plane (it has strip aileron with flattened slow stick wing) I also have a easy glider wing as well. simple gopro mount and heavy duty LG. I will be testing this setup soon. (when the weather lets up)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hornchurch, Essex, UK
Joined Jul 2006
321 Posts
another option is the Hobbyzone Supercub. Its a great trainer and can fly in a lot of wind and still be very stable, will glide and flies very slowly.

I just use rubberbands to attach my gopro but you can easily make a proper mount and the plane carries it without any modification.

have a number of aerial videos from it on youtube including this one
GOPRO HD - Super Cub - Aerial View of a Rocket Launch (3 min 45 sec)

Pete
hartrockets is offline Find More Posts by hartrockets
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
another vote for Slow stick. (with or without aileron)

I am running happysunday's openaero firmware /KK fcb on mine to stabilize the plane (it has strip aileron with flattened slow stick wing) I also have a easy glider wing as well. simple gopro mount and heavy duty LG. I will be testing this setup soon. (when the weather lets up)
Would be really nice to see some pictures of your plane, Askman.

Thank you in advance.