HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2008, 03:27 AM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,329 Posts
Discussion
Heng Long Tiger turret rotation hanging.

'Evening, folks!

Got a bit of a problem. I mentioned it in the other thread, but it's significant enough that I think I should post it in it's own thread.

During the turret rotation, when turning to port, the turret has no issues turning all the way to it's stop. Turning to starboard, it hangs at about 90* and will not rotate either direction. It's got a sort of "thump thump thump" sound until you go over and push the turret *backwards*.

What's happening is there's a lot of slop in the turret/gear/turret ring in the hull that is actually allowing the turret to MOVE in it's socket, fore to aft. When it gets to that spot pointing 90* to starboard, it's actually pushed the turret forward and disengaged it from the drive gear.

But it only does this as the gun reaches the 90* point to starboard.

|
[ ]

Is this common? It's almost like the turret gear isn't perfectly round and is disengaging from the drive gear or something--I don't know...I'd like it to work...The whole turret on this has been a pain..Rotation, elevation..
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Last edited by Rampage; Sep 28, 2008 at 03:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:56 AM
TAS, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
241 Posts
De-pin a track link or pop cap off the sprocket and remove sprocket, take off tracks, undo the 7-9 screws, slowly seperate the halves, unplug aerial and 8 pin turret connector, seperate the halves entirely.

Check that the turret ring has no crap jammed in it, I'd reckon the culprit is the 8 wire turret loom getting caught up somewhere, probably on the battery box or one of the circuit board mounts.
wackywheelz is offline Find More Posts by wackywheelz
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:33 AM
afv
uk
Joined May 2008
104 Posts
hi,
I had this problem on a tiger tank, the turret rotaion ring was oval instead of being round. What i did was shimmed it with plasticard (were the pen is pointing) about a third of the way round
regards jack.
afv is offline Find More Posts by afv
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,329 Posts
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Shimmed it some with some narrow strips of packing tape and it works now. Great idea.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage