HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:11 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
Help!
multiplex pico cub brushless motor mount Q ?

i've had this model sculling about for at least 8 years and never flown it until last weekend..(my old man made this for me and the motor/esc was untested)

Stock on 7.2 1300MAH it gives me about 3 minutes flight time and is painfull slow to gain any altitude (i think as a begginer plane you may well break it from stalling due to low airspeed)

sooo... with the thought that i might have a duff setup
I've got me a brushless combo to maybe spark this up a little & get some better duration:
2208/17 - 20a ESC and 9x4.7 gws prop. 1300mah lipo

anyone monted a BL into a MPX pico cub ? if so could you post some pictures of your new motor mount and maybe advise how to set the down thrust ..

Would appreciate any help

(have searched the threads but havent fallen over any pics)
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Last edited by lud; Jul 10, 2009 at 07:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:13 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
No down/right thrust needed really. You can put it in if you want.

For mounting, just make a plywood mount and mount it in the plane, then mount the motor to it. And because the BL system will be lighter, you will need to extend the motor mount forward about an inch to make it balance better. BTW, is this the yellow one?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:30 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,026 Posts
that p;ame os designed to to slow;the big "underchamber" wings are for high lift at slow speed.
I have the teddy wich uses the same wing and still fly it with the speed 400 and gunter prop (the white spoon thingy that comes with the kit)
If you are not happy with this plane i would like to buy it off you asuming its in good shape since its misisng in my collection.
A plane like the eazystar or if you like more speed (and less time to correct) the mini magister both made aof a diferent kind of foam (elapor) that is more durable then the polystyrene the cub is made of.

if you insist of overpowering you must use a inrunner that has the same diameter then then speed 400
For example these motors http://www.lightflightrc.com/HTML/pr...C-20-27-80.htm

you also need to buy a prop that fits and prop adaptor/ spinner
i prefer the graupner presision spinners/ cam props
Esc buy cheap buy often or buy for example a caste creations and that will be far more reliable.

Also a cheaper way to inprove performance is a gear reduction unit multiplex has that is adviced if you use floats withthe pico cub
this set will allouw you to maintain the current motor/ ect and is just a "bolt on" upgrade that only should take a few min.
http://www.mpx.speedkom.net/ scroll down and use the Getriebe 400L #332690 link.

again if you want to sell feel free to email or pm me
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jul 12, 2009, 05:15 PM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder

again if you want to sell feel free to email or pm me

lol... sorry no chance of this being for sale.. my father built this up for me many years ago. .
taking it out feels like he's still flying with me

hope you find one ...
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Aug 06, 2009, 06:30 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Hey guys, I picked up a Multiplex Pico Cub a few months ago for 30 dollars off of craigslist. The stock setup was very weak, took forever to get to street light height. I threw in a brushless setup, a TowerPro 2409-12T, 25 amp esc, and a 7x5 prop all from Hobbycity and it runs like a champ.

I cut some styro off the front and epoxied a wood firewall to mount the brushless motor.

Replacing a bent motor shaft I busted a bearing in the motor and currently waiting on a new motor, 9 bucks from hobbycity (love that place).
While waiting on the motor I've installed some heavy duty landing gear, a steerable tail wheel and a bomb door I'm just itching to use.

I love the MPX Pico because it screams through sky and climbs vertical at full power and it slows to a walking pace a foot off the deck with a click or two of throttle.
Enough talk though, here are some pics and a video I took of the Cubbie, Enjoy

Remote Control Multiplex Pico Cub (5 min 19 sec)
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
Last edited by kenthedragon; Aug 06, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:04 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,026 Posts
call me old if you like but i still fly the "teddy" wich uses the same wings on the included speed 400 and gunther prop.
The first few flight where even with the so called "brick" reciever/ servo unit and it flew well.
No vertical performance but these powered gliders are designed to fly slow with there low wingloading and holow profile. so beginners have time to correct mistakes.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:33 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
I just purchased a NIB Pico-Cub and built it lightweight-brushless; That is 419gr RFT with a 2822 direct drive BL motor, 8x4 thin electric, 30A ESC, and a 1000mAh 3S LiPo. In order to get the CoG right, I had to mount the battery in the motor bay, glue in two CF tubes to carry the motor, mount the ESC on top of that, and move the servos af far forward as possible.

Despite the changes, it would still be possible to mount the plastic cowling, but since both battery/ESC and motor would be inside it, I decided not to do so to aoivd overheating

The plane is intended to be a "park trainer", since my AXN Floater Jet goes a little too fast for confined spaces. I look forward to a little less wind, so I can try the little yellow suc** out

BTW: I have some nice, NIB, original Multiplex leftovers from the set; A 6V 400 motor with connector + a 2,3:1 reduction gear + a 7x6.5 prop for the reduction gear. 15EUR + shipping.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o