New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by HeliBlom
Joined Mar 2014
20 Posts
Discussion
Blade mCPx BL vs TRex 150 Super Combo

So I have been doing a lot of research, and during this research I have read a lot of people's opinions on the matter, almost equally for and against either heli.

The biggest con against the Trex 150 was that it didn't come with quality tail boom, frame and rotor head stock. Now Align has brought out the Super Combo:

http://www.helipal.com/trex-150-dfc-...combo-btf.html

I have not found a single review on this new combo, comparing it the first version. Does anyone have any comments on the improvements, and does it stand a better fighting chance against the mCPx BL?

It would be nice if lots of people could give their opinions, I'm sure this thread will help a lot of newbies in the future.
HeliBlom is offline Find More Posts by HeliBlom
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by spykez
Cá bhfuil an linn snámha?
Joined Jul 2011
1,962 Posts
I think the BL is more durable. Doesn't fly as nice but stripped servos on the rex 150 isn't pleasant. Very small gears to replace.
spykez is online now Find More Posts by spykez
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:44 AM
Joined Mar 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
I think the BL is more durable. Doesn't fly as nice but stripped servos on the rex 150 isn't pleasant. Very small gears to replace.
That is true yes, but don't the linear servos give just as much issues? At least with the 150's rotary servos you could use a servo saver mod.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,970 Posts
Mcpx bl is better deal of the two. Friend has two T-rex 150's and spent a bunch on each. Blade may not be as refined but will give better overall flying. 230s better yet.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
♘ Heli's Lives Matter ♘
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,307 Posts
I have the MCP-x BL, since 2013. It has a very characteristic feel in flight over other micro heli's and heli's of all sizes in general in my experience with it. Started out with fly bars, so I've flown from fast and loose to stiff and overcorrected and everywhere in between.

I was going to get a Trex 150 but then decided since I had the BL to just keep that. I can say Ive crashed the BL into gas grill tanks, concrete, grass, vinyl siding and pretty hard at that. It tends to explode upon crash and that sounds worse then it is, but what I mean is that the skids will come off, the tail boom will come out , the battery will come out, canopy will fly off etc. What all that does is absorb the shock of a crash and it's obviously designed that way. I Kept the head stock plastic, except for the swashplate and most times all that had to be done was to put the tail boom back into the frame, skids and canopy back on reinitialize and was flying again. I don't think the Trex can 150 take that kind of beating just from reading peoples experiences (which is the whole purpose of these threads)

The perfect heli between these two would be the trex 150 flight controller with the MCP-X BL's frame . The BL's feel takes some getting used to is my point, IMO it's overcorrected but you get used to its flight characteristics and all is golden. The Linear servos....... I've only had one go bad and that was because the motor burned out on the servo. The linear servos get a bad rap, but they have infinite torque and are fast, as far as stripping out........I guess it's possible though Ive never heard of it happening. Usually the links will bend instead and take the bulk of the stress. Trex has enclosed servos, but the saver mod will help not strip.

The brushless inrunner tail motor on the BL gets very hot and will eventually fail and need to be replaced @ 20.00 a clip. Some people seem to have issues with the tail motors, Ive gone through one myself but for as much as Ive flown the thing I don't think that's out of school.

If I had to do it today, Id wait for Blade to release a new heli that size (last thing you want to hear is wait, probably) or buy the new Nano CPS for the interim (mid sept). Today everything is 6 axis and there are some benefits to that like auto save, so if you buy the BL your buying basically 3 year old technology today, even the Trex is coming up on 2 years old. In heli years that's ancient, but that's not a huge deciding factor, as at least you know its proven and there are a ton of resources out there.

Lastly, that kit you linked is the same Trex 150, just with a bunch of accessories so they can puff up the price. You do get a lot for your money though with it.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by johnniechang
Joined May 2015
64 Posts
I have some 150s include a super combo, which comes with stiffer frame, new tail motor mount, powerful esc, and a cnc swashplate!
Fly characteristics are much the same but the new one feels more powerful.
I also had a mcpx bl but now it's gone under the bridge, and I think bl is a much better micro for novice since it's more stable, fly cost is also cheaper, the 150 is not for newbies who have only limited fly skills and experience in tweaking helis.
If you are a advanced pilot than it's depends on what tx you use and the fly style you like, 150 rolls quicker and more responsive and precise while higher rotor head makes bl sometimes feel slow in flips, and the as3x-linear servo combination is just not so precise to the smallest input.
There are still another two 2s 120 class helis to choose from: powerful HCP100S and highly expected new XK K120 which maybe will be released in September.
johnniechang is online now Find More Posts by johnniechang
Old Aug 31, 2015, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2014
20 Posts
Thank you HeliFlyer and johnniechang for your valuable and comprehensive input!

I think it is clear that the mCPx BL is an all round better heli, but not as refined in terms of flight controller and control. I am keen to learn how to set up a heli properly (I'm an intermediate pilot) and that was partly what attracted me to the TRex 150, I also like the neat look of it.

But I have come to terms with the reality, unfortunately I am still a student and don't have a lot of money to spend repairing crashes, and I still do have a lot to learn regarding 3D manoeuvres upwards of inverted flight, and I'm sure the BL will do very well in teaching me that. Another deciding factor is the fact that I have a good second hand deal where I live from a guy who can basically give me two for the price of one.

I hope this thread helps other people as well, please feel free to voice your opinions.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
♘ Heli's Lives Matter ♘
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniechang View Post
I have some 150s include a super combo, which comes with stiffer frame, new tail motor mount, powerful esc, and a cnc swashplate!
Fly characteristics are much the same but the new one feels more powerful.
I also had a mcpx bl but now it's gone under the bridge, and I think bl is a much better micro for novice since it's more stable, fly cost is also cheaper, the 150 is not for newbies who have only limited fly skills and experience in tweaking helis.
If you are a advanced pilot than it's depends on what tx you use and the fly style you like, 150 rolls quicker and more responsive and precise while higher rotor head makes bl sometimes feel slow in flips, and the as3x-linear servo combination is just not so precise to the smallest input.
There are still another two 2s 120 class helis to choose from: powerful HCP100S and highly expected new XK K120 which maybe will be released in September.

The thing was a mess when it first came out (Trex 150) I mean the guys that pre-ordered were not happy. Some even bought it knowing it had those weak components, like the frame, swash, tail motor holder etc. Then they huddled together and fixed all those problems at Trex and came out with an upgrade parts version. But I was under the impression after that it didn't change much and was solid. So by now almost 2 years out the super combo he's looking at included all those upgrades you mentioned. It's true though if you read the threads all those original problems stand out in the beginning, and to be honest that was another reason I never pulled the trigger on it.

I remember one time with the Blade BL, my tailboom broke at the frame in a crash in my yard, I crazy glued (CA) it back together and finished my flight. It's a beast.......not so pretty but gets the jb done.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Sep 01, 2015, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by johnniechang
Joined May 2015
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliBlom View Post
Thank you HeliFlyer and johnniechang for your valuable and comprehensive input!

I think it is clear that the mCPx BL is an all round better heli, but not as refined in terms of flight controller and control. I am keen to learn how to set up a heli properly (I'm an intermediate pilot) and that was partly what attracted me to the TRex 150, I also like the neat look of it.

But I have come to terms with the reality, unfortunately I am still a student and don't have a lot of money to spend repairing crashes, and I still do have a lot to learn regarding 3D manoeuvres upwards of inverted flight, and I'm sure the BL will do very well in teaching me that. Another deciding factor is the fact that I have a good second hand deal where I live from a guy who can basically give me two for the price of one.

I hope this thread helps other people as well, please feel free to voice your opinions.

From my POV there's no such "better heli", I like the responsive handling of 150 and the parts are stronger than BL so it will last longer if you don't crash. .
The BL setup is easier than 150 and can deal with vibration which I think this is good to intermediate pilots who don't want to spend to much bench time instead of enjoy the pure flying pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
The thing was a mess when it first came out (Trex 150) I mean the guys that pre-ordered were not happy. Some even bought it knowing it had those weak components, like the frame, swash, tail motor holder etc. Then they huddled together and fixed all those problems at Trex and came out with an upgrade parts version. But I was under the impression after that it didn't change much and was solid. So by now almost 2 years out the super combo he's looking at included all those upgrades you mentioned. It's true though if you read the threads all those original problems stand out in the beginning, and to be honest that was another reason I never pulled the trigger on it.

I remember one time with the Blade BL, my tailboom broke at the frame in a crash in my yard, I crazy glued (CA) it back together and finished my flight. It's a beast.......not so pretty but gets the jb done.
Align tends to reversion without any notice and all of sudden your new heli become dated. Some say it's a good thing that Align would fix problems but some say they never buy because there are always problems.
I still have a early version 150 and it flies great, the only upgrade part on it is the metal swash and I think that's enough.
To me the biggest problem of 150 now is the super-soft alu main shaft cannot sustain almost any crash but they never fix this...
johnniechang is online now Find More Posts by johnniechang