New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by csell
Joined Aug 2006
60 Posts
Discussion
PowerLab 6 charging AGM battery?

Hi.

I have previus used a couple of FMA Direct BalancePro HD 6S charger to charge my 2 x 6Sa123. And was very happy with it.

Now I spend some time in a remote located hut and want to charge 2 pcs 12 volt AGM deep cycle batteries in series in 4-5 hours during the day to be able to run a PC and a few lamps until the next or the following day.

I think the CellPro PowerLab 6 Charger connected to a pair of 12 volt computer power supplies in series again connected to a generator can do it, but is there better solutions?

I read that PowerLab 6 can charge 24V AGM batteries, but I can't find much technical information?

Do you think the different type of Lead Acid batteries need different charge voltages?
And what is the maximum programable voltage charging AGM batteries?

I read on the internet that there are 2 or 3 stages in charging a AGM battery:

Stage 1 Constant current Charge:
Voltage rises at consant current.

Stage 2 Topping Charge:
Voltage peaks and current decreases.

Stage 3 Float Charge:
Compensates for selfdischarge, Voltage is lowered.

Is the PowerLab a 2 or 3 stage charger?

Will it be possiable to have a load connected to the AGM battery during charging
or must I disconnect the load during chaging?

Regards Carsten.
csell is offline Find More Posts by csell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by grimbeaver
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,395 Posts
There was a thread about this a long while ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424733

According to the above thread there is a float stage in the profile for the PL6/PL8.

AGM does optimally charge at a different voltage then a flooded lead acid. My dedicated charger does it at 14.7v instead of the normal 14.4v.

I was going to charge my AGM with a PL6 but ended up getting a dedicated lead acid charger before getting my PL6 so I have not tried it yet.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Last edited by grimbeaver; Mar 07, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by csell
Joined Aug 2006
60 Posts
Tanks Grimbeaver.

Your link answer many of my questens.

Does any know if it is possiable to charge 2 x AGM in series with 29.4 volt ( 2 x 14.7v ) from a PL6 or may be I need a PL8?

I expect that I will have to disconnect the load to charge in the above a 3 stages.
But I read on the internet about chargers where you still can have a ( small ) load during charging.

Have any tried it or know how it is done?

Regards Carsten.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:07 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,395 Posts
I don't see why you would need a PL8 unless you need more watts. Specs say it can charge a 24v lead acid so you should be fine.

As for having a load on it, I would make sure it's really small and make sure it can handle the peak voltage. You gotta remember typical operational voltage is a lot lower and some devices might not handle the full charge voltage.

One last note, I would only be series charging if you are series discharging. I've seen a fair share of warnings about being careful when series charging lead acid. It sounds like it's rather easy to over charge one battery while finishing the other.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by csell
Joined Aug 2006
60 Posts
Hi Grimbeaver.

Thanks for the warning. My intention is to run a 24 volt system and both charge and consume with the 2 pcs AGM in series for 24 volt. Going 24 volt has the advantage of only running half the current in the wires for the same watt bulbs.

The load I was hoping to keep during charging is a HP Car/Truck Power Supply Adapter Charger. The specification is Input: 10-32v, 11A max and Output: 90W
I will expect it don't use more than 4.6 Amps at 24 volt input.

When I read your answer do I think that I may be can keep it connected for the Stage 1, The Constant current Charge period?
And then have to disconnect it?

Is it possible to pause the PL6 during the disconnection, or do I have to abort and then start a completely new charge cycle?

Regards Carsten.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:45 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,395 Posts
I'm not an expert here, but I would suspect that you would have to disconnect it after the CC stage or else the CV stage will never end.

I don't think there is a pause, though I've never looked for one. The charger will beap when it transitions from CC to CV. In theory the charger will just drop the current to the battery when you disconnect the computer and I doubt it would harm anything. However there's a lot of safety features in the PowerLab that might see the sudden change as a concern and abort the charge. Especially if the voltage spikes high enough when you remove the load.