New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by ronj10
I like Golden Age
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
eye bolt

I did not like the idea of an eye bolt just screwed in to wood. I took a piece of 4-40 linkage rod and bent in into a loop. It screws into a blind nut. I made sure that the eye loop fits into the tube mounted into the fuselage where my connecting spring will be.
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:01 PM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
Both wings are now to a place where I want to sand my leading edges. At this time I am only going to sheet the top and bottom at the front front so that I can blend the leading edge into the sheeting.
I have my guide lines marked onto the leading edge to help me keep a straight edge and also to not sand away too much sheeting.
I mentioned in an earlier post that the 1/8 sq basswood stringers are a mod I made to strengthen the sheeting. Sooner or later I always seem to poke my thumb through it. These stringers solved that problem.
Last edited by ronj10; Feb 06, 2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:08 PM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
I am very glad that I have waited to do the remainder of the sheeting as well as the cap strips, and the 1/8 sg. stringers on the outboard wing section.
There has been a ton of handling of the wings up to this point.
In the past I have always damaged those delicate parts from all the handling. So this was my work-around to accommodate my lumberjack ways and it has really helped me.
Last edited by ronj10; Feb 06, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:43 PM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
Awesome pictures of tail assembly by Jswain

JSWain,

Seriously, without your pictures in post#294, I doubt I could have figured out the stabilizer.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
This is my finished wing.
As I had mentioned previously, I recessed my rear 3/8 wide spar deeper into the ribs so that they were flush to the top. This made it much easier to sheet and cap strip the top.
Personally, I like curves. So I used a french curve to modify my top sheeting for a curve rather than an angle.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
464 Posts
Again, I am very thankful to all for the pics posted on the tail. The DreamCatcher directions are junk.
Anyway, I had a stab of the exact same spar/steel rod design pop off another one of Tom Williams designs, the Windrifter.
Seriously, most two meter sailplanes have thicker spar support in the stabilizer.
So I beefed this one up. I used 1/8 thick balsa instead of the 3/32 so that I could completely enclose the 1/8 dia. alum tube. I then sandwiched it with 1/32 ply, and added the top caps.
It weighs next to nothing and was amazingly strong when I tried to bend it. I am real happy with this mod.
I will do the same design mod to the short rear spar.
Last edited by ronj10; Today at 08:06 AM.