Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by JimTMich
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,588 Posts
Discussion
Help selecting a funbuild3 plane/first scale plane

I would like to try a scale plane. I enjoy building as much as flying.

All the Daddy-o talk got me thinking Golden Age Racer.

I notice Aerodrome RC has the Vickers 151 Jockey. Perfect for the fun build, right era, racer look, monoplane so the detail would be a little lower for first build.

Question, the directions say that it came in at 23.6oz yet there is only 158 square inches. I really enjoy parkflying planes in the 6-12oz sq ft. This is nowhere close. I'm sure it could be built to this spec as I have a Stevens Aero SHAFT and Mountain Models Switchback. So, does this plane weigh so much because of all the details? Can I detail and maintain a light weight? I have a 1.4oz motor and 2oz battery and 4gr receiver, could I build this plane with a scale look and bring it in at 12oz? If I'm barking up the wrong tree, what should I be looking for?

Thanks
Jim
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,897 Posts
You might want to look at another model. Cutting weight in half is tough to do. But, someone with experience on that kit should comment. Go over to Kay's forum and ask the question.

If you want light Golden Age look at Tritle's stuff (Pat's Custom Models). He has a Brown B-2 and GeeBee D that are on the smaller side, also the Spacewalker. His are on the lower end of your wing loading scale.

Also, look at Zeke's Park Scale models.

You can detail planes and keep weight down. FF folks do it all the time. A lot of carved foam works wonders.

Most of Rake's designs are around 10oz/sq ft wingloading. He just doesn't do many scale Golden Age stuff.

Dumas also has several of Tritle's kits.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,869 Posts
I've often looked at that one ...but haven't got it yet . Maybe somebody here that has will chime in for you !

Another option is the Pat Tritle GeeBee D ...He did a Howard Ike too , but don't know if he released it yet . These would definately fit the "parkflyer" style .

Whatever you choose ...I'll be ready to add you to the list

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
13,558 Posts
This model is similar to my P-26 Peashooter, having small wing area, large cowl ring and dummy engine. The specs call for a 10" prop and a fairly potent motor/lipo setup and mention a total of 23 ounces. If it resembles my Peahooter, it will need to fly fairly fast, won't like to do loops and rolls, and will fly nice racetrack patterns. It also will need a smooth surface for ROG takeoffs and will need to land with a little power on. The plus side is that it is a handsome and unusual model.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by JimTMich
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,588 Posts
Thanks Charlie. I might go with Miss LA if I cannot get an OK on the light build of the Jockey. Great tips on the way to build light, thanks.

E-Challenged, thanks for the input on the peashooter and comparisons with the Jockey.

John, I'll let you know
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich