Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
Rice Rocket !! ( MU-2)

Since I have an affinity to corporate aviation, I get my feathers ruffled that no one offered a decent plan or kit ( ok, there USE to be a .049 pwrd foamy available years ago!). So instead of griping about it... heres what we have so far...

44" Fuselage
49" WS
2 GWS Geared 400 w 4 bladed props
Foam/Glass/Balsa

projected auw of 30/36 oz so I am going to need some imput with batteries please...
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:57 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearup
44" Fuselage
49" WS
2 GWS Geared 400 w 4 bladed props
Foam/Glass/Balsa

projected auw of 30/36 oz so I am going to need some imput with batteries please...
Of course you knew I'd have to drop in

Batteries? Big fat lipos...other than that I'm gonna have to check into the numbers as far as gearing, cell count, etc.

Just so I'm clear, do you specifically mean GWS' motor/gearbox 400C and their 1080 4 blade props (looks like the props I see in the pics)?

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:18 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
yep, thats the plan..btw went looking for you at Mercury ATL the other night.. forgot your running into FTY...
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:37 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearup
yep, thats the plan..btw went looking for you at Mercury ATL the other night.. forgot your running into FTY...
Give it a couple of months...the Powers That Be aren't too happy with their Glorious Flawless Plan of moving ops to FTY, since every time the weather gets marginal we head over to ATL anyway...to pay full retail for fuel, transient fees, etc. etc. etc. FTY has ONE ILS, with 300 ft. / 3/4mi. (prevailing vis; this podunk airfield doesn't have a transmissometer) minimums, as opposed to 8 ILSes with 200 ft./1800 RVR mins at ATL. Phooey.

Besides, word is the FTY tower will be closing for the late shift come January anyway. LOL...I can just see 10 planes waiting in line in the air for whoever just landed to run in the FBO and cancel IFR on the phone. No RCO that I'm aware of...LOL

Glenn
Old Oct 26, 2004, 01:27 PM
The Prop Rotates Around $
Orlando Herndon, Florida
Joined Oct 2004
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2freighter
FTY has ONE ILS, with 300 ft. / 3/4mi. (prevailing vis; this podunk airfield doesn't have a transmissometer) minimums, as opposed to 8 ILSes with 200 ft./1800 RVR mins at ATL. Phooey.

Besides, word is the FTY tower will be closing for the late shift come January anyway. LOL...I can just see 10 planes waiting in line in the air for whoever just landed to run in the FBO and cancel IFR on the phone. No RCO that I'm aware of...LOL

Glenn
awwww, I feel so sorry for you... Try shooting an asr, gps or vor (or heck even an ndb where you are lucky to end up in the same county!) with minimums far above the good 'ol standard 200ft for ILS'... If the weather is that cruddy out that you have to go down to minimums you shouldn't really be flying anyway (in my opinion!) But I suppose you freight guys do have a few screws loose...lol

Waiting to join your ranks...
-Adam

Edit: Ahh yes...almost forgot...you should start flying in back back country Georgia if you want some ideas of 'non-controlled' airfields.

You haven't lived until you have squeezed an airplane into a field with trees cleared barely as wide as your wingspan and a nasty crosswind

This is all in jest mind you...
iflyprops is offline Find More Posts by iflyprops
Last edited by iflyprops; Oct 26, 2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 01:54 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyprops
If the weather is that cruddy out that you have to go down to minimums you shouldn't really be flying anyway (in my opinion!) But I suppose you freight guys do have a few screws loose...lol

This is all in jest mind you...
Everybody's a critic

I know your post is lighthearted ( ) BUT...

If the weather is that cruddy out that you have to go down to minimums you shouldn't really be flying anyway

LOLOL

Down TO minimums...? You oughtta be there on the nights where it's wavering between 1400-1800 RVR but the controller, being 'helpful,' doesn't let you know it's tanked at 1400 till you're almost at the middle marker.

I've shot an NDB approach to minimums, daylight, Cleveland Hopkins after it flooded and knocked everything out except the NDB...

Small airport? Try Mattituck, NY, on Long Island delivering a Baron; gusty crosswinds, 2200 feet of runway with the Sound on one end and the engine shop on the other!

Been in (as in IN, not nearby) 2 hurricanes so far, both as they were just making landfall; Hugo (Charleston SC) and Opal (Atlanta)...don't like those. They make me cinch up the belts and whimper for my mom...

This end of the business, it's honestly hard to beg off when the weather's at legal minimums or above. We have many thousands of bucks riding on us making cutoff times; never mind that if it's legally feasible we gotta do it, it's a point of professional pride. Example:

When some hotshot missed approach after approach at PDK in a Lear 55 a couple years back when even the lowliest C-210 driver was getting into Atlanta in his bugsmasher, we all had a good laugh when it turned out his flight director was out, and he couldn't shoot a decent approach with 'just' the raw data from his fancypants glass cockpit. A friend of mine got on the radio and quietly suggested to him that he go home and polish his tasseled loafers

Last time I didn't fly a leg because of weather was in Atlanta about 6 years back, with level 4/5 thunderstorms in all quadrants...and only then because the delay would've made the flight pointless.

Man, now I feel old! I recently realized I could ask "how many years you been flying?" and be talking about LOGGED TIME, not calendar dates...

I hope I can get around to doing gearup's Mits before I sink too much further into decrepitude!

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Oct 26, 2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
try 500' with Gnu's running across your strip... at 27,800lbs with a pair of clapped out R2000's!!!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
yeah , well I have you know we pay GOOD money for the tassels.. hate to ruin em ya know!!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:15 PM
Orlando Herndon, Florida
Joined Oct 2004
693 Posts
LOL, I knew I was asking for it! It just always cracks me up when the heavy drivers forget what it is like to hand fly an airplane...and without a flight director! I guess technology spoils you and makes you forget the basics. Right now the plane I fly has dual garmin 430's and when I jump into something with the 'ol nav/com and DME it can be greek at first glance...

Be Safe,
Adam
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:25 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
I don't know what happened to my post.lol

I DO owe a bunch of thank you's ( without these folks, I would be buying &*@%# ARF"S!!!)
Mark Rittinger, Eddie P, John Morgan, Jerry Hall, Dave Blum, Adrian ( GREAT LUSCOMBE!!!), and anyone who has contributed to any and every thread on ezone... !)
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:27 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
the fuse is actually 40"... I cheated on the wing, added 2" each side to insure it wouold glide better than an anvil!! Tip Tanks are going to be held with rare earth magnets.. Nacelles are a POOR imitation of Eddie P's work ala Convair! ( Great job Eddie!!)
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
Mu-2

vertical Fin is scale.. should be enough area... ( Aileron, elevator, SC)
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:55 PM
Orlando Herndon, Florida
Joined Oct 2004
693 Posts
Sorry about that hijacking...better squawk 7500. Your rice rocket will be neat, can't wait to see the final product... are you going to put spoilerons on it???

-Adam
Old Oct 26, 2004, 07:11 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
I didn't know we flying RC IFR now. Boy have I gotten behind!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Oct 26, 2004, 07:12 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Lol
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D