HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:32 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,409 Posts
Question
Charging Deep Cycle for Field Use

I want to use a deep cycle high capacity battery in the field because I am flying a large electric and it will drain my family car battery fairly quickly. However, a high capacity deep cycle could provide 8-10 charges safely without damaging it.

I have 2 Imax B8 chargers that I use in the field and at home. At home I have a power supply that is capable of 100 amps so I use those to power my B8's for home charging of lipos etc.

My question is: Can I use the B8 charger in pb (lead) (5-7 amps at 12 volts) mode to recharge the deep cycle battery overnight for field use? I realize it would take 10 hours or more but I really don't want to buy yet another charger to recharge the deep cycle if it will work.

Thanks,

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:49 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
A 12V charge at 7 amps is only 84 watts so that is well within the capacity (150W) of the B8. So it depends on the specs on the battery. Will it allow a 7 amp charge?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:56 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
I want to use a deep cycle high capacity battery in the field because I am flying a large electric and it will drain my family car battery fairly quickly. However, a high capacity deep cycle could provide 8-10 charges safely without damaging it.

I have 2 Imax B8 chargers that I use in the field and at home. At home I have a power supply that is capable of 100 amps so I use those to power my B8's for home charging of lipos etc.

My question is: Can I use the B8 charger in pb (lead) (5-7 amps at 12 volts) mode to recharge the deep cycle battery overnight for field use? I realize it would take 10 hours or more but I really don't want to buy yet another charger to recharge the deep cycle if it will work.

Thanks,

Dave
Of course you can.
It would be wise to find out what the charging current limits and final charged voltage values should be.

Due to "fine tuning" battery chemistry, the voltage is subject to minor change from one mfrs battery to another.
The generally accepted values for full and float charge.
~14.6

Normal Pb Automobile batteries have a charge current limit that is usually around ~5-6A. A deep discharge Pb battery can be different.

It's worth while to remember that charging a Pb batter at a lower current helps prolong battery life, and current capability.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:02 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,409 Posts
The batteries I have been shopping around for seem to be able to handle 5-10 amps charge rate without a problem.

Thanks guys for the quick answer.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:22 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
205 Posts
In a pinch you can even use a 12V wall wart to charge a 12V lead acid cell. The unregulated iron transformer type are usually just about perfect as the output will float up a few Volts higher under no load. Lead acid batteries are ~200 year old technology and are very robust. So long as you don't over-discharge them or charge them so hard that it boils off the water, they'll usually be fine. Unlike lithium chemistry cells, you can't charge the voltage up too high. If you try, it will rise to a point and then stop and start gassing. Hard on the battery but it won't blow up.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S