HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:50 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
576 Posts
Discussion
Switches

I'm in the process of finishing up my first gasser. It is a 30% Cap 232 that will be running a DLE 55. For electronics I will be using two 2500 Mah 2 cell LiFe batteries into my reciever and an IBEF from there for the ignition to regulate the voltage down to the 4.8V the DLE ignition wants.
My question is my switches that will be mounted to the plane to turn everything on an off. Will it be ok to use the stock heavy duty switches like what came with my new Futaba T8J transmitter when I bought it or do I need to look into something else?
If I do end up running a different switch I will probably go with one of the Miracle switches but if I can get away with these switches I will as I already have two of them so that is money saved that could be put to something else.
Thanks for all input.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:56 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
Personally I trust normal slider switches as far as I can throw them. I fly a lot further away than that.

These days on anything bigger than a 90 sized model I use powerbox switches. Theyre solid state, are designed for two packs, and also can be used with lipos as they're regulated.

They're expensive buy I tend to look at having a good switch as insurance. Once you lose a plane from a crappy switch, you start to look for that sort of assurance
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:39 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
When I need a "switch" I typically use an arming "plug". Handles loads of current and failure rates are REALLY low.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 03, 2013, 06:37 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
For your radio or your power system?

I generally don't use a switch on smaller models as I don't like the weight, and space is usually an issue. The battery pack is plugged straight into the rx.

On bigger models though, it's a lot of phaffing to do that, and the high quality switches are very reliable.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:00 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
On both if needed.

For the radio on most IC planes or larger electrics, I just plug the battery in, no switch (I remove LiPo batteries from planes to charge them and when done flying). But, I don't fly huge planes so the radio doesn't draw much current at idle. For a very large plane like the PO is talking about I'd just use an arming plug to "switch" the radio system.

For medium and larger electric planes I use a plug to arm the motor battery separately.

For smaller electric planes I just plug the battery in when I am ready to go.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:29 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
576 Posts
Thanks for all the input. This is the plane I have been putting together. Just about done with the covering then I'm on the making my cowl and canopy. Here is a picture of the switch I'm referring to. I'm run them in all my glow planes without a problem but figured I would ask with this big bird as I know gas engines have more vibration than the glow ones.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 10:13 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
If you used one for each battery pack, that'd be a good enough way to give yourself insurance.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 10:59 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
576 Posts
That was my plan to have each battery pack on a seperate switch. I have had lots of people tell me I'm going overboard running dual batteries on a 50cc airplane and that I only need one but I like having the extra insurance.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 12:26 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
I run a redundant power system on my 2m F3a model, and I don't think it's overkill.

It's cheating a little bit, as I'm pulling power from my main motor battery, and I carry around a small 700mah 2s Lipo as well. If one fails I'll (hopefully) be able to make it home on the other.

That said, two 2200 Life packs may well be, as you're also having to cart around an extra ignition pack.

I was in discussions with an long time modeller and electronics guru that told me if I was concerned by weight, run one battery, and two switches. The liklihood of a healthy battery failing is minimal, but switches are not to be trusted, I guess I got my fear of god from him.

This of course assumes that you monitor charge rates, and know what you're doing with batteries.

If it's going to help you sleep at night, run a dual power system.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 02:09 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
576 Posts
Sorry if there was some confusion I will only be running two packs total. My ignition will be going through an ibec. Going that route because I like the ibec has a built in kill switch.