HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:29 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
My build is going slow. Just got in a MAS 8x6 3Blade and tested it out on a motor I already had, MicroDan 2510-1300. Bench tests showed 30 amps (300 watts) on 3S and 39 amps (570 watts) on 4S. Those numpers should be fine with proper cooling so I'm thinking about adding an air exhaust vent to the cowl.

I am surrounded by salt water so my goal is to make my Ultra salt water tollerant. That would mean some stainless hardware so that's next on my list!

keep posting videos, that keeeps me motivated!
She's looking good gatorb8. Your 3S setup looks perfect for the Ultra. On 4S, I'd prop down if I were you. I'd be a little concerned running that kind of power through the existing wires. They have been tested up to 35 amps.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:31 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
She's looking good gatorb8. Your 3S setup looks perfect for the Ultra. On 4S, I'd prop down if I were you. I'd be a little concerned running that kind of power through the existing wires. They have been tested up to 35 amps.

Scott
I agree Scott, I was only planning on "bursting" above 35A
I was able to get all my wires loose of the glue and can pull new wires if necessary!
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
202 Posts
gatorb8

Had to use Google Earth to see how you could be 327 miles from The Villages, FL. One heck-of-a big state. I'll be looking for local lakes.
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:50 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,015 Posts
Quote:
My build is going slow. Just got in a MAS 8x6 3Blade and tested it out on a motor I already had, MicroDan 2510-1300. Bench tests showed 30 amps (300 watts) on 3S and 39 amps (570 watts) on 4S. Those numpers should be fine with proper cooling so I'm thinking about adding an air exhaust vent to the cowl.

I am surrounded by salt water so my goal is to make my Ultra salt water tollerant. That would mean some stainless hardware so that's next on my list!

keep posting videos, that keeeps me motivated!
Don't use the three blade 8x6 on 4s -- its way too much load for the motor and wires. You need to go down to an 8x4 APC two blade or maybe an 8x6. I tested extensively on the XL and set 30A as my working limit. (That's in the air, corresponds to about 33 static)

EDIT: Just saw Scott's comment and your reply. I would not even try "bursts" on the three blader.

EDIT2 Specs on that motor:
http://www.gravesrc.com/MicroDAN_251...510-1300kv.htm
Maximum 30A continuous, 33A burst. I would take that seriously.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 03, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:00 PM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Don't use the three blade 8x6 on 4s -- its way too much load for the motor and wires. You need to go down to an 8x4 APC two blade or maybe an 8x6. I tested extensively on the XL and set 30A as my working limit. (That's in the air, corresponds to about 33 static)

EDIT: Just saw Scott's comment and your reply. I would not even try "bursts" on the three blader.
Thanks for your concern Daedalus. I have pushed that motor frame much higher than 600 watts with different winds with no problem. I have 15 MicroDans of various sizes, shapes, and powers. I spoke to Dan and he said if I keep it under 45A I should be OK. All in fun....may burn one up! If I burn one up, Dan is always glad to rewind them! I'll keep a close eye on it! Here is a few old vids of a previous High Speed Polaris with a 2505-2900 MicroDan
Grab some popcorn!
Polaris OnBoard/Hat Cam Mix (5 min 14 sec)

Polaris Dialed In (4 min 19 sec)

The Last Picture Show..... (3 min 19 sec)

Still ordering parts for my Ultra.....got stainless hardware, servos, and a 50A Icelite comming
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:32 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,015 Posts
You obviously know what you are doing, gator. So good luck and tell us how it works out.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:29 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,181 Posts
So I'm waiting for parts for my Ultra................looking at old vids of the original Polaris...............this is a total sidetrack/hijack......high alpha tail touch..........for those of you waiting for parts like me! Hope you don't mind Scott! Can't wait to put the Ultra through it's paces!

Polaris High Alpha Testing (9 min 56 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:03 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,586 Posts
Nice bit of flying there gator, thanks for sharing .. lovely spot to fly from too

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:49 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Yeh I remember watching some of those video's a long time ago. Forgot you got an inverted tail touch in, have to try that one at some point. Nice flying
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:30 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your concern Daedalus. I have pushed that motor frame much higher than 600 watts with different winds with no problem. I have 15 MicroDans of various sizes, shapes, and powers. I spoke to Dan and he said if I keep it under 45A I should be OK. All in fun....may burn one up! If I burn one up, Dan is always glad to rewind them! I'll keep a close eye on it! Here is a few old vids of a previous High Speed Polaris with a 2505-2900 MicroDan

Still ordering parts for my Ultra.....got stainless hardware, servos, and a 50A Icelite comming
Hi Gator,
I dont think it is the Dan motor that you have to worry about.
I don't think that the wiring feeding power to the motor will handle 45 amps.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:20 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,218 Posts
amps

Rig up a short run with this same wire gauge and put 45 amps to it. Result= up in smoke. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:51 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Quote:
So I'm waiting for parts for my Ultra................looking at old vids of the original Polaris...............this is a total sidetrack/hijack......high alpha tail touch..........for those of you waiting for parts like me! Hope you don't mind Scott! Can't wait to put the Ultra through it's paces!

https://vimeo.com/14364149
No problem gatorb8, I can't wait to see what you come up with on your Ultra!!!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:41 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,181 Posts
Well, I always say there is nothing like a good experiment to add a little data to the fire...........
I hooked it all up via the supplied motor wires and gave it a whirl with lipo connected up to a WATTSUP meter!

no smoke.....................but, no high power either. It limited itself at 30 amps. Eliminating the extension wires showed the previously tested 38 amps. I'm guessing good ole Ohm's law is working here and the IR drop at higher currents acted as a self limiter! Beond 30ish amps, probably just warming the the pilots butt!

So, if i continue down this path, BIGGER motor extension wires will go in
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:07 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I suppose it'll be handy for others to know how hard it is to pull new cables in. I'm sure you'll not be the only one going for big power.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:54 PM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,181 Posts
I did endup rewiring the motor wires with some ancor maine tinned 18 guage that I had in my boat bin. The retest of the motor using these extension wires achieved 35 amps and 500 watts on 4S. There is very little room in the wire channel and I could not get 16 guage to pull through. I had to remove some glue below the servo mount and open the foam on the starboard side in the main wing channel. Not for the faint of heart and may damage your Ultra! I don't think this is necessary unless you are going beyond the recommended motor as Scott points out.
RCG Plus Member