HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Apr 2006
273 Posts
Discussion
HK pricing has really increased a lot on some items

Things seem to be getting strange at HK on pricing.
I use to buy the AA NiMh batteries for $.90 now they are $1.79
Not a big deal but not worth ordering from HK at that price

I loaded in my cart a pack of 10 6" servo wires that were $1.99 on the items page but, when I put them in the cart, the price was $7.49

I started searching around at common items I buy from HK and some things have gone up 200% in a matter of months. I expect the cost of goods to rise but not that much.

So, 20 servo wires, and some razor blades and other misc small items cost $39 for EMS international or $45 3 day UPS to Texas. Pretty pricy. The expensive shipping made it not worth buying. Not necessarily blaming HK, but only a few months ago that order may have been around $15. It must be the holiday season has a major bump on shipping cost or it is possible HK is trying to get a little more for shipping profit.
In the end I passed on buying from HK and got most of what I needed from US vendors.
I am going to restrict my HK purchases to US warehouse only items.
dhc8guru is online now Find More Posts by dhc8guru
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Hmm try sending a message to customer service and see if they are having issues. The "live" rates change constantly and can cause an issues. Also, the price of everything costs more these days, rc gear sadly has to follow that trend as well.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
Things seem to be getting strange at HK on pricing.
I use to buy the AA NiMh batteries for $.90 now they are $1.79
Not a big deal but not worth ordering from HK at that price

I loaded in my cart a pack of 10 6" servo wires that were $1.99 on the items page but, when I put them in the cart, the price was $7.49

I started searching around at common items I buy from HK and some things have gone up 200% in a matter of months. I expect the cost of goods to rise but not that much.

So, 20 servo wires, and some razor blades and other misc small items cost $39 for EMS international or $45 3 day UPS to Texas. Pretty pricy. The expensive shipping made it not worth buying. Not necessarily blaming HK, but only a few months ago that order may have been around $15. It must be the holiday season has a major bump on shipping cost or it is possible HK is trying to get a little more for shipping profit.
In the end I passed on buying from HK and got most of what I needed from US vendors.
I am going to restrict my HK purchases to US warehouse only items.
Are you surprised? I'm Not and I'm sure the increases will continue.
I guess you have to pay more for all that world class CS they provide to their customers Now. lol
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:49 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
Are you surprised? I'm Not and I'm sure the increases will continue.
I guess you have to pay more for all that world class CS they provide to their customers Now. lol
I would really like to know why you dislike HK so much and are most threads bashing them at every chance you get,having said that i know i'm the complete opposite and i will defend HK at every chance i get but i will say why that is,which is because they are the reason i'm still in this hobby,prices at my LHS and most other online RC retailers are way over priced and there for HK gets most of my custom and will carry on doing so even if they have to increase the odd product,i'm sure some people might think HK are a charity than a company.
startazz is online now Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:44 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Apr 2006
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
I would really like to know why you dislike HK so much and are most threads bashing them at every chance you get,having said that i know i'm the complete opposite and i will defend HK at every chance i get but i will say why that is,which is because they are the reason i'm still in this hobby,prices at my LHS and most other online RC retailers are way over priced and there for HK gets most of my custom and will carry on doing so even if they have to increase the odd product,i'm sure some people might think HK are a charity than a company.
I agree with you. HK has made this hobby affordable for me. In 3+ years I have spend thousands of dollars with them..Scares me to think how much I would have spent without them.
I have cut back from buying from the international warehouse only because shipping has made it not worth it. I will if its something I can't find elsewhere or its something HK unique.
I am a Turnigy motor and servo junky. Very reliable and well priced. Nano tech batteries blow. I bought lots of them when they came out and were great...the last two batches I bought from them were puffy junk within 10 cycles. I went back to zippy's and standard turnigy lipos.
As far as customer service goes, I really havent had to deal with them other then changing an order and they were fine helping me with that.
There pricing steadly goes up this time of year. HK has a pricing ceiling based on factoring in shipping costs. No point in buying a $20 brushless motor with $40 in shipping.
I did finally order the servo leads and opted for the cheap shipping with free month long wait included. I wasn't in a hurry for them and it was still way cheaper then buying local. I got 10 servo leads for the price of one from my LHS
(including shipping)
I think they must have had a glitch going on because a few days later a lot of there pages were down.
dhc8guru is online now Find More Posts by dhc8guru
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:31 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
I agree with you. HK has made this hobby affordable for me. In 3+ years I have spend thousands of dollars with them..Scares me to think how much I would have spent without them.
I have cut back from buying from the international warehouse only because shipping has made it not worth it. I will if its something I can't find elsewhere or its something HK unique.
I am a Turnigy motor and servo junky. Very reliable and well priced. Nano tech batteries blow. I bought lots of them when they came out and were great...the last two batches I bought from them were puffy junk within 10 cycles. I went back to zippy's and standard turnigy lipos.
As far as customer service goes, I really havent had to deal with them other then changing an order and they were fine helping me with that.
There pricing steadly goes up this time of year. HK has a pricing ceiling based on factoring in shipping costs. No point in buying a $20 brushless motor with $40 in shipping.
I did finally order the servo leads and opted for the cheap shipping with free month long wait included. I wasn't in a hurry for them and it was still way cheaper then buying local. I got 10 servo leads for the price of one from my LHS
(including shipping)
I think they must have had a glitch going on because a few days later a lot of there pages were down.
Yeah i hear what your saying and i agree on a couple of your points but from what i've read on other threads here on rcgroups and the Hobbyking forum,HK wants to stock all the local warehouses with what they have in the international warehouse,it might take a while for them to get there but at least they understand that some of their customers would buy more off them if it was in their local warehouse.
What i do when i want to buy the the odd little thing off of HK and the postage would work out to high,is to buy more of what i know i will need now and in the near future like lipos servos and of the like,as i will use up every part of the box for weight,at least this way i'm never out of the sort of products that i use the most of,when they get low in my hanger for them sort of parts i just stock up again on my next order.
startazz is online now Find More Posts by startazz