HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,203 Posts
Question
Pylon construction.

3mm ply/3mm liteply+glass?
Another bit of advice concerning the pylons mentioned in the concave/convex planking thread.
I cut some trial formers out of liteply just to see if my "head cad"design would work,see the pics.Looks as though it will be ok.
I'm wondering now what would be the best material to make these from.
I'm thinking at the moment,3mm ply above the hinge line.6 of these in each of 2 pylons would carry the weight of a 2.2m flying wing.(foam)

Would glassed liteply be as strong as standard ply?
What about a strip of carbon run up the leg from the axle bearer ?
The outer surface-1/16 balsa or thin ply,maybe a layer of glass to give a bit more strength.
Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,211 Posts
If your formers shown in the pictures are made from liteply I'd say that it's likely that they are strong enough for general flight and landing loads. But it's hard to suggest one way or the other without knowing what you're building.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,203 Posts
This is the beast.It's a long term side project,I'm not aiming for scale-'cos there is none
The airframe is adapted from the Ho VII,the rest is make up as I go along.
Stuart
Last edited by Stupot46; Nov 11, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,203 Posts
Link wouldn't work.This is a pic one of the guys found,appears to be a works drawing
Stuart
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,211 Posts
Oh yeah, that thing...

I'd suggest that you're barking up the wrong tree by trying to use wood to support the axles. Instead solder up a cage of music wire or even fabricate a long U channel arrangement of aluminium sheet with lightening cutouts so it's stiff but fairly light. These two plates for each of the landing gear arrangements can act as both the support for the landing gear as well as attachment points for lightly fabricated side panels. And at the lower end the plates would give you attachment points for the hinged lower doors. All in all such a setup would be decently light. And more importantly it would be THIN so the overall fairing isn't much wider than what the scale size would have been.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews