Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
Build Log
Scratch-build 35mm EDF delta wing v2.0 (crashed, will rebuild)

Hello guys,
today I finished my first custom EDF foam plane. Some time ago I bought a HK F-18 35mm EDF Micro Jet, but I never managed to get it to fly right, so after the last crash I took the electronics out and decided to do a custom build.

You can also find the build and lots of details on my blog: ArxangelRC.blogspot.com

The original jet did not have nearly enough area to be able to glide, so my goal was to make something lighter and with a bigger wing area. Got a depron sheet and started cutting and gluing. Below you can find the build pics and also a time lapse video of the build. The video does not start from the beginning of the build, but you can see the beginning in the pics.

Last is the video of the maiden flight. Since I am relatively new to planes and since the guys at the field were taking bets whether it was going to fly or crash, I decided to hand it over to a much more experienced person for the first flight, and wouldn't you know... it flew on the first launch. He flew it for about 40 seconds to make sure it flies well. I did the second flight, which starts at around 45th second.

And one last thing, I only noticed that it looks a bit like a space shuttle only after I finished building it. I did not have a plan I was making it up as I was cutting the foam.
"NASA, this was not intentional, please do not sue over infringed space shuttle design patents!"

So basically this:

Turned into this:

Build pics start here:

Here is the time lapse build video:
Custom 35mm EDF delta wing plane time lapse build video! (9 min 20 sec)

Here is the maiden flight video:
New custom delta wing plane with 35mm EDF maiden flight! (5 min 4 sec)

For any questions or recommendations please don't hesitate to post in the thread.
Arxangel is online now Find More Posts by Arxangel
Last edited by Arxangel; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
how does she feel in the sky? (very slow inter net here. no video )

seems to have a excessive ammount of tape! (very strong, tho!)
looks like a nice clean build.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
how does she feel in the sky? (very slow inter net here. no video )

seems to have a excessive ammount of tape! (very strong, tho!)
looks like a nice clean build.
I used the tape to smooth out the edges of the foam after sanding in order to slice through the air better. I can't really comment on how she feels yet, because the day was windy (yes, probably not the best time for a maiden flight of such a small plane), and also the servos should be replaced - one servo has more travel than the other, and also moves faster than the other at equal settings.

Otherwise, all things considered, it was easier to control than the F-18 the electronics came from. People at the field also commented that if the wing area was a bit larger, it would probably handle even better and would be able to glide more and fly at lower throttle. I am considering it and have already though of a way to increase wing area, so I might do the modification in the coming weeks. For now I would like to wait for a calm day and fly it as is so I can actually see and feel what I've built.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
a KFm air foil would help a lot.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
a KFm air foil would help a lot.
I am pretty sure I have no idea what you are referring to.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,879 Posts
Congratulations on you're successful scratch build. Nice videos. I think you'll find that foam 1/2 as thick would be plenty strong and would fly faster and even better than it does.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Congratulations on you're successful scratch build. Nice videos. I think you'll find that foam 1/2 as thick would be plenty strong and would fly faster and even better than it does.
Thank you

Well, when I went to the hardware store, they had 3mm and 6mm depron and 7mm of something called "interit" (it was a bit stiffer than the depron, but it seemed heavier). I looked at the 3mm depron, but I thought it was waaaaay too bendy and soft to use for anything. I am pretty happy with the 6mm one, and I am also going to attempt to increase wing area in the coming weeks to see if it will be more stable, otherwise it has plenty power to fly in this configuration.
Last edited by Arxangel; Oct 28, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:13 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,879 Posts
You'd be surprised. The 3mm depron works well with a little reinforcement. Look at some of the other designs in this forum and you will find ways to make your next one lighter and faster.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
Quote:
You'd be surprised. The 3mm depron works well with a little reinforcement. Look at some of the other designs in this forum and you will find ways to make your next one lighter and faster.
Actually, speed is not my goal. Slow and stable flying is what I am trying to achieve, and if I just increase the wing area I will get there. Also, the thicker foam makes for a more stable flight in windy conditions, flex is also reduced greatly.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,879 Posts
Oh, a slow jet. Well it looks like you are just about there. A little bigger and you'll be slow for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Oh, a slow jet. Well it looks like you are just about there. A little bigger and you'll be slow for sure.
That's the plan. I know it sounds strange to want a slow jet, BUT at this point in time these are the only spare electronics I have available for a build and I require a slow plane, so I have to make it work.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
Cool, That flies great! I'd be happy with a plane that flies the way yours does. I very stable and controls well.
Good Job.
Keith
MUTCAKE is online now Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Mar 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
I am pretty sure I have no idea what you are referring to.
A "Kline Fogleman" airfoil ... essentially a stepped airfoil made from layers of thin sheet material (depron, foamboard, whatever).

Check out this thread.
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave View Post
A "Kline Fogleman" airfoil ... essentially a stepped airfoil made from layers of thin sheet material (depron, foamboard, whatever).

Check out this thread.
I see, thanks for the link.

BTW, I increased the wing area yesterday, will post the build log video, pics and flight video as soon as I get a change to fly it.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,564 Posts
So, I finally got around to making the wing expansion mod. The operation went pretty OK, no problems. The wing span 43cm, from 30cm previously, and hopefully it will fly a bit more stable that way. Weight went to 106 grams, from 101 grams. When I have a time to test fly it I will also add that video as well. Until then, here are some pictures of the mod, and a video of the procedure:

Here is the video:
Scratch-build 35mm EDF delta wing jet with 43cm wing span (after wing mod) (2 min 55 sec)