HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
K&B Diesel?

I just picked up a K&B 40 size motor that came with a glow head and what appears to be a diesel head. It has a modified fuel intake that is direct to crank case. Also on the what i believe is a diesel head it says "Davis Diesel" Any info on what exactly i have would be great, any idea what it is worth?

Thanks
jeffreyneher is offline Find More Posts by jeffreyneher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Jeff and I couldnt get the pics to upload at his house. I took some with my phone and here they are. Any info on this engine or even how to get it running would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Greg
gjap is offline Find More Posts by gjap
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:04 AM
engine-a-holic
Portugal, Lisboa, Amadora
Joined Jun 2007
314 Posts
What you have there is a nice K&B with a Davis Diesel head (obvious ) and a fuel pump/regulator.

As diesel fuel you can use a 30% ether / 50% kerosene / 20% castor oil mix. There are several threads regarding model diesel engines on RCG, especially on the vintage/old-timer forum.

Without knowing the pump model it's hard to say do this way or that way. Hook it up to the carb fuel intake and to the fuel tank. You'll have to check out what nipple is fuel in and what nipple it fuel out on the pump. Then you regulate the fuel flow with the pump's knob.

Hope this helps a bit.
Patxipt is offline Find More Posts by Patxipt
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:26 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,449 Posts
Yes as stated already, you have a K&B .40 pumped engine with a Davis Diesel Head on it.
There is a RC carburetor that plugs into the front of the engine. The fuel pump is on the rear like you have in the pics.
http://www.mecoa.com/kb/aero/aircraft.htm
MECOA still sells parts for the engine http://www.mecoa.com/kb/40/40-parts.htm But they may or may not have the fuel pump parts anymore.
Here are instructions for using the engine http://www.mecoa.com/kb/40/4011.htm

One problem is the fuel pump was designed for methanol based glow fuel and not model airplane diesel fuel, so I do not know if the fuel pump will last for any length of time with model diesel fuel going through it.

If you use a regular carburetor on the engine instead of the big bore pumper carb, you can run the engine without using the fuel pump built into it. I don't know if the fuel pump works anymore or not on your engine. But you could machine the old pump out of the backplate and epoxy in a new Perry Fuel pump. If you run glow fuel (you need a glow head of course) use a glow fuel Perry pump and for model diesel fuel use the gasoline Perry fuel pump.

Here are pics of one for sale in the RC Groups classified section.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,692 Posts
I have that head but no engine, the small one is the K&B .40 head, the big one is SuperTigre 2300.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,154 Posts
The K&B 40 in the picture should have a baffled piston. If so, I don't think the pictured head will work on it.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,449 Posts
I wondered about that baffled piston myself but K&B made some engines using that crankcase, later on, that didn't have a baffle on top of the piston. This might be one of those types.

Giap, could you post a pic of the piston top or engine top without the head on it? So we can see which piston you have in the engine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,692 Posts
A friend at Church gave me a K&B .40 for my but it has a baffled piston, he has two more he's going to check out.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
My guess is that its not baffled. The engine is set up for diesel and the head has been used (I assume on this engine). So it must not be baffled or why would it have come with this head and set up for diesel. The engine is Jeffs and is at his place. I will have to ask him to check it out or look next time I have the chance.
gjap is offline Find More Posts by gjap
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,692 Posts
I commited a paux pas above the smaller of the two heads is for a SuperTigre .51, here is the real K&B .40 head. It was given to me, I need to cleam it up.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,449 Posts
Yeah the MECOA website has engine exploded views for the engines and the ABC version uses a flat top piston whereas the ringed version has the baffle on the piston.
ref http://www.mecoa.com/kb/parts.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,154 Posts
That looks like the model before the 4011, with the small ball bearing on the front end and the roll pin to hold the drive washer in place. I will have learned something new if it does not have a Dykes ring and baffled piston.

Incidentally, I have run a K&B 4011 glow plug engine on Eric Clutton diesel fuel. Left the glow plug connected maybe 20 seconds until it warmed up and ran nicely. It had a venturi and Super Tigre NVA. I turned the needle in one and a half turns from the glow setting. It turned a 11 x 5 APC prop 9,700, both glow and diesel.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys any idea what this is worth? I don't think I would be willing to get into the diesel side of the hobby, would like to sell it as soon as possible and would consider all offers.
jeffreyneher is offline Find More Posts by jeffreyneher