HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:02 AM
I Like Deraring
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2008
1,006 Posts
Question
Not a noob, dying motor and rx behavior.

Hey all, I haven't been following the big mcp x threads. I've been able to diagnose a dying motor many times, but this time is a little funky.

Well, I've been flying my blade mcp x and once in a while when I lower the throttle (normal mode) the rotors take a second to power down. Sometimes the whole throttle channel response is a little delayed. I have had many flights on the same main motor, so I'm 80% sure my ol' motor is dying a drawing too much power. I opened the can up, and the carbon brushes are pretty worn. There was also a messy carbon flake situation. I cleaned out all the carbon dust, and sealed the can back up - still behaves the same. I've never really seen a dying motor delay the throttle response like this before and it has me a little worried. Sometimes the rx cuts out entirely and turns back on.

Did I damage my rx? I never saw any smoke or smelt anything.

Or do I simply need a new motor?

Cheers, thanks for any help.

Jdog
jdog83 is offline Find More Posts by jdog83
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:10 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
A symptom of dying motor is unusual amount of heat for short operating time, and shorter battery cycles as the motor efficiency goes down.

But I'm stumped on the THR delay thing. Slow spinup I could see with worn motor. Slow spinDOWN, not sure.

It's my understanding that DSM has a provision for holding the last good frame when it encounters corrupt frames. Antenna still in place? TX batteries good? Any other functions delaying?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:43 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
I've seen similar symptoms on my mSR. When the motor is dying and the batteries are getting a little old, the motor can draw more power than the batteries can deliver. Less is available for the Rx, and the rotor can take a few seconds to wind down.

Try a newer battery and/or motor.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline Find More Posts by Nomad57
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:53 AM
I Like Deraring
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2008
1,006 Posts
Yep it is the motor

I replaced the core of the motor with an old walkera core. It's a quick fix, it won't last long but it will buy me time until I get a new motor. Works perfect no delay through rigorous testing. No cut-outs. Infact, you should see the power and tail hold it has now, it's amazing! The throttle is soo touchy now, it climbs like a rocket! If you guys want more power and better tail hold try putting in a different core.... Now I see why they are upgrading the main motors in the v2.

Cheers! Jdog
jdog83 is offline Find More Posts by jdog83