HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
378 Posts
Speed to fly Orion

Doug,

hidaven gives great advice and will add the following, which includes the use of added camber from the flaps and ailerons or not.

I like not to thermal near the stall speed. It is inefficient aero-wise (to much coefficient of lift) and usually lacks control authority. No need to temp a stall, particularly a tip stall as well.

In that NAN has not published polars for the Orion airfoils which are blended root-to-tip (Xplorer 3800 outboard wing panels I believe) we can only guess at where to fly this bird most efficiently. Measuring the root section suggests a thickness to chord ratio of about 8.8% and a camber of around 2%... but blended to the wing tip. Similar airfoil characteristics (and polars) can be found but so what.

Just fly the bird where it and you feel comfortable. Your Orion has a wing loading of about 12.6 oz/sf as I recall. Mine is at 10.5 oz/sf. Given that Lift (L) must equal Weight (W) and L has a linear relationship to the coefficient of lift (produced by angle of attack or camber) BUT a squared relationship to velocity. Just fly your bird a bit quicker than I would mine. Velocity is our friend (being a squared function) while excessive coefficient of lift (angle of attack) puts you in the drag tanků a bad thing.

Dick

Ps: Yes, I know, this is simplified but hopefully answers the question.
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:44 PM
irvine, ca
Joined Apr 2002
236 Posts
KISS - Keepin' It Simple 'splainations - I's like dat!

It all should be intuitive anyway - heavier planes generally need to fly faster. Whether you're ballasting to fly in wind or comparing two planes of the same design but differnt weights.
jrs_123 is offline Find More Posts by jrs_123
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
378 Posts
Simple and slow

James,

You know what a simple guy I am but you have to admit that at only 10.5 bucks a foot my Orion slows down really well!

Dick
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
yeah mine too....camber really helps. hard to tip stall unless you have a big tail wind. I come down 60 degrees with full flaps and slow to a crawl, so much so that crow isnt needed at all ; ))))
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:09 AM
Still a mile high when I land
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2011
104 Posts
M2 clevis supply found

Hey everyone, I found a supply of "the" hard to find M2 clevis I. I looked and ordered what I thought were the M2 clevis from several sites and none were the ones that NAN and other model manufacturers include in many of their model kits. The actual source of these perfectly made metal clevis seem to be a very well-kept secret by overseas retailers, but some sources say they're manufactured in Bulgaria. The name of the store is Phoenix Model Products . It's run by Stan & Sheila Yeo, and the store is in a small town about 160 miles W-SW of London. When you do place an overseas order there, right afterward, be sure you drop Stan an Email at mail@phoenixmp.com and let him know an overseas order is in the queue for him to fill. This is because the postal order system in this small town sometimes fails to notify his shop of overseas orders. I've placed three orders with their shop and they're accurate and seem to take only about 10 business days to get here to Colorado.
Stan says he has a plentiful supply so this should be a good source. The M2 clevis are sold in three packs with 3 M2 bind nuts, and the actual direct link is HERE. While you're there, you may want to have a look around their site. They’ve been in the business since 1976, and have some interesting products.
MonsterBFC is offline Find More Posts by MonsterBFC
Last edited by MonsterBFC; Mar 03, 2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Feb 2007
701 Posts
Could this plane be used reasonably for ALES purposes? Looking for a 2.5 ship. Been eying the Skorpion but this looks interesting too.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:11 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Hobbies View Post
Could this plane be used reasonably for ALES purposes? Looking for a 2.5 ship. Been eying the Skorpion but this looks interesting too.
Yes, if you're looking for a 2.5M model it would be a fine choice for ALES.
Of course there's no substitute for wingspan, so a 3.5-4M model would be better still.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
Retirement is good
Joined Jun 2011
378 Posts
Birds for ALES

NorCal Hobbies,

If you are serious about ALES I suggest you read this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589228

The Big Boys fly Big Birds costing Big Bucks. It is a great read in any case.

Dick
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
All this is very interesting ...BUT
The real question of the thread is:
Where in the planet is my Orion????
4+ weeks of waiting, the motor/esc/servos are aging well
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,930 Posts
Orion

Hi,

We have been sold out for about 4 weeks. They are on order, but NAN has had very bad weather in Bulgaria that has cause major delays in production, and shipments. The winter all over Europe has been extreme, and many of our vendors are behind. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can get some more models.
Next time we have them in stock, do not wait! They are hand made one by one, and not by a "machine".

Best regards,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
(praying for spring to come early in Europe...)
Oh boy, patience IS a virtue
Well, It will rain tomorrow, and probably by next sat. so that kinda gives me peace of mind ...
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Bulgaria isnt anywhere close to Greece is it??? : )
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:01 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Cypress is a few thousand miles west of Cyprus
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Worth the wait, its a very versitile plane that goes together real quick : )
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
...It better be (I know it will be great) , because of my impatience, I have bought a couple of used hotliners to kill the anxiety