HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:04 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
362 Posts
Discussion
return home

couple of questions 1. how does the return home feature work if you loose radio signal ? and 2. how much does one cost is it prebuilt and is it plug and play? i would like to get one and be able to come back if i loose radio signal and video power could anybody help with these questions.?
wbuttry is offline Find More Posts by wbuttry
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
RTH is a feature of some OSDs it is not a stand alone component.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:09 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
362 Posts
ok how do i get one and are they plug and play i need it for a easystar aircraft im gonna be completely loosing site of the aircraft through half the flight i'm gonna be going inside a supercell thunderstorm and doing video for the national weather service and i wanna be able to bring it back home when done.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:41 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,681 Posts
Go look hear u will find something
http://www.rcgroups.com/uav-unmanned...-vehicles-238/
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:44 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
HA! your going to need more than just return to home. check out the UAV section. look into attopilot or procures autopilots. plan on spending $$$$.
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:48 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuttry View Post
ok how do i get one and are they plug and play i need it for a easystar aircraft im gonna be completely loosing site of the aircraft through half the flight i'm gonna be going inside a supercell thunderstorm and doing video for the national weather service and i wanna be able to bring it back home when done.
Get a Range Video OSD, it has everything you need. You can set way points to fly into the storm and get live video of the high winds ripping your easy Star apart.
Check out some of my videos to see what it can do for you.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
If you want to go inside a supercell thunderstorm. Why bother to use an autopilot? I dont think many planes can go inside that, and be able to go back home. The extreme moisture, winds, and even rain will kill any airplane of those we use to do FPV. Even if you manage to make a water resistant airframe, capable to handle extreme winds, you need a full IMU autopilot. Be prepared to throw few thouthand dolars inside the plane, with high probs to lose the plane in the first flight.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Get a Range Video OSD, it has everything you need. You can set way points to fly into the storm and get live video of the high winds ripping your easy Star apart.
Check out some of my videos to see what it can do for you.
pretty sure Thermopiles or Gps will go nuts in a thunderstorm. He Probably needs a full blown IMU and mag compass to compensate.
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:53 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,622 Posts
RTH=return to home
EagleTree system :
Quote:
The Return To Home feature will attempt to bring your stable fixed wing
Quote:
completely loosing site of the aircraft through half the flight i'm gonna be going inside a supercell thunderstorm
all of he above+what you need is a GPS localisation system to find
the wreckage many KM away because the RTH could probably not fly back true the storm
and possible 60mph speed wind

From little i know, RTH is for stable airplane , and stable weather...

Eagletree osd-pro RTH working (3 min 3 sec)
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Last edited by ggtronic; Dec 09, 2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 11:05 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
362 Posts
well the airframe is in the process of being modified carbon fiber through out and then fiber glassed to help it withstand the turbulence of the super cell well let me clairify my intentions first then we will go from there it is gonna be put up in the wall cloud before it produces any kind of violent weather and it is gonna be loitering in there for a few minutes only just long enough to get video and barometer reading the its coming back home . and then go to the next one and do the same thing i've bought 4 easy stars so far one is ready and it is real stable in 30 mph winds and had it up to 2000 ft already check this vid out and i'm in the cloud base a few times
aerial vids 3rd in a series up to 2000 feet by data log altimiter (6 min 47 sec)
this vid is before any alterations took place. plus it is in heavy winds 15 20 mph winds the inside the supercell when first formed is lite as it is forming the structure and still confined by the jet stream until it gets to much power then thats when it breaks through to colder air that is what forms tornadic episodes and severe storms we are trying to get a streak going by fiding out tempature and barometer readings through each system to develop a pattern of events leading up to a severe storm.
Last edited by wbuttry; Dec 09, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:13 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
362 Posts
i got the cold shoulder from the uav site it sounds like i'm gonna half to go fpv like i first thought of it would be a heck of a lot cheaper anyway how bout a good cheap system for me to start with could you help i dont need goggles im gonna use a moniter i got a 25 inch monitor to use i got a 900mhz reciver and transmitter and cam all as one piece do i need to replace the cam and transmitter or what.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
i got the cold shoulder from the uav site it sounds like i'm gonna half to go fpv like i first thought of it would be a heck of a lot cheaper anyway how bout a good cheap system for me to start with could you help i dont need goggles im gonna use a moniter i got a 25 inch monitor to use i got a 900mhz reciver and transmitter and cam all as one piece do i need to replace the cam and transmitter or what.
Honestly dude, do you think that you have given anyone enough info in this post to give a real answer. Send me $2500 and I will build you a set up that will make your head spin.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:30 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
362 Posts
what kind of info do you need cam or reciver tell me what you need to know and i'll tell you what i got ok
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:00 PM
USA, NM, Carlsbad
Joined May 2002
1,147 Posts
i like it!
littlepiston is offline Find More Posts by littlepiston